Twitter: Fisher: Cowboys open to idea of pursuit of DT Damon "Snacks" Harrison

Dre11

Reaction score
Ummm, at some point a few of you have to realize that not all DT’s are there to collect sacks. Nate Newton said it so well on either Hangin’ w/ the Boys or Talkin’ Cowboys - basic gist was those fat boys in the middle are just as if not MORE valuable than pure pass rushers in the middle because the usually destroy the inside running game and, in the passing game, they stop the QB from stepping up in the pocket, leaving them easy pickings for the edge rushers. Nate said those guys were his toughest assignment and that he knew how to let upfield guys run themselves out of plays. Something Dallas’ DLine has been doing for years (see Rams Playoff game)

yep, heard the same comments from Newton,
I can tell you in my experience as an OC even on the HS level , those big fat boys in the middle that eat up blockers would wreck your run game, to get any thing going you had to make those guys chase laterally on outside runs, but thing about snacks is he's quick enough at his side to chase guys and take away cutbacks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Get Harrison. Cut Crawford. Sign Griffen or Golden.

LDE - Lawrence, Amstrong
3T - McCoy, Hill
1T - Harrison, Woods
RDE - Griffen/Golden, Jelks, Jackson

That's not bad and you can still take a DE or even DT in the draft like Kinlaw at the 3T spot or Weaver at DE.

It just makes too much sense. You can even bring Hyder back as a swing guy if you want.
Trysten Hill is a darn wasted roster spot. Trade him and get a pick for him. Use his spot for a much better draft pick or even David Irving if he comes back.

jnday

Reaction score
Trysten Hill is a darn wasted roster spot. Trade him and get a pick for him. Use his spot for a much better draft pick or even David Irving if he comes back.
I don’t think anybody in the league would trade a draft pick for Hill. Hull confirmed the scout’s concerns during his rookie year by being lazy and unmotivated.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Get Harrison. Cut Crawford. Sign Griffen or Golden.

LDE - Lawrence, Amstrong
3T - McCoy, Hill
1T - Harrison, Woods
RDE - Griffen/Golden, Jelks, Jackson

That's not bad and you can still take a DE or even DT in the draft like Kinlaw at the 3T spot or Weaver at DE.

It just makes too much sense. You can even bring Hyder back as a swing guy if you want.
This is how real organziation make there roster. Get affordable mid tier veteran starters via free agency (Griffen, harrison, McCoy) and it allows your lower to average level picks/players (woods, hill, gregory, amstrong) time to develop and slow rotate into the lineup.

You benefit both the starting lineup and depth lineup NOW all while not having long term cap implications or having to trade picks

Look at Greenbay. They won 6 games in 2018. 2019 they upgrade 7 starting positions (5 via free agency, 2 via draft) and our in the NFC title game........

Valkyr

Reaction score
Hell he could just stand there and do better than last years DT’s!!!!
"My chance to get back in the league!" - Albert Haynesworth

nflhaynesworth.gif

Batman1980

Reaction score
This is how real organziation make there roster. Get affordable mid tier veteran starters via free agency (Griffen, harrison, McCoy) and it allows your lower to average level picks/players (woods, hill, gregory, amstrong) time to develop and slow rotate into the lineup.

You benefit both the starting lineup and depth lineup NOW all while not having long term cap implications or having to trade picks

Look at Greenbay. They won 6 games in 2018. 2019 they upgrade 7 starting positions (5 via free agency, 2 via draft) and our in the NFC title game........

They also went from injured A-Rod to healthy A-Rod.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
"My chance to get back in the league!" - Albert Haynesworth

nflhaynesworth.gif

That's what has been happening to players that go to the skins for about a decade now so we should all disregard Dix's time there. He was traded there and played like he didn't want to be there and still put up respectable numbers, just had lots or poor plays he let get put on tape. By all accounts he rebounded well in Chicago last year.

Sydla

Reaction score

You'd maybe get a 7th rounder for him. At that point, it makes sense to just keep him and hope Tomsula can get anything out of him.

Sydla

Reaction score

Some fans are so scared of FA because the front office tells them it's bad to use FA. And they just follow along like the good sheep they are.

I am not sure why anyone would put any faith in the Jones' knowing what it takes to build a SB team since they haven't done it since they got help from Jimmy over two decades ago.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The guard didn't even know what to do, he'd never had someone take a nap during a play.
You could see his outright confusion.
Should I keep trying to block him? I think he just dieded.

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually said after the season, he was considering retiring. Just me but I wouldn't put weight in this. Think about, he's a tier signing. IF they were truly interested, he would already be under contract.

that's why guys like that i would look closely at his entire season tape ..and only give him a one year contract, ..what size and minimum is debatable.
while also getting a promising long term young fixture in there in the draft ( sure as hell won come via vet FA)

phildadon86

Reaction score
Some fans are so scared of FA because the front office tells them it's bad to use FA. And they just follow along like the good sheep they are.

I am not sure why anyone would put any faith in the Jones' knowing what it takes to build a SB team since they haven't done it since they got help from Jimmy over two decades ago.
I agree. You don’t build out your whole roster but 2 or 3 big pieces is a necessity. You only have 7 picks (normally) on a roster of 53?

Tussinman

Reaction score
They also went from injured A-Rod to healthy A-Rod.
no your talking about 2017

2018 Rodgers threw 4400 yards with 25td and only 2 picks. Made pro bowl and NFL top 100 (made the top 10 of that list)

Only won 6 games. Like I said in the post you quoted, they upgraded 7 starting positions and ended up in the title game