Twitter: Fisher: Cowboys restructure Zack Martin contract

aria

Reaction score
No, this is not true at all. I mean, if you are like 20, maybe you see it that way but if you have watched the NFL for any length of time, you can see how inaccurate this statement is.

I don't condone what this team has done with other players but so what. All of that is done. I absolutely do think we can draft a QB or sign one and be competitive if it came down to that. The point is that nobody knows what will or will not happen with Dak in Dallas. Hopefully this year will help us see if all of that settles out and we have a QB who can work within the current cap structure and who can take us to the next level. But if not, then move on I say.
Of course no one knows, so why do you think we need to be prepared to move on? Your implying he won’t do well or that what he’s done isn’t good enough.

And it is true, take the past 20 years without Brady. Here’s the list of SB winning QB’s.
-Trent Dilfer
-Drew Brees
-Eli Manning
-Peyton Manning
-Russell Wilson
-Ben Roethlisberger
-Aaron Rodgers
-Patrick Mahomes
-Joe Flacco
-Brad Johnson
-Nick Foles

That looks about 50/50 to me between great QB’s and Dak level QB’s. Peytons last Super Bowl was also a joke, he was horrible all season and had a 43.9 QBR. Mahomes helped KC get to the SB but he had a horrible game, him getting the MVP was the biggest joke of an MVP I can remember. He gets credit for coming back in the 4th when he threw 2 INT’s and had one of the worst games of his career? They wouldn’t even have been in that position had he just played decent.

So go on...what was that about if I’m 20 years old?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Of course no one knows, so why do you think we need to be prepared to move on? Your implying he won’t do well or that what he’s done isn’t good enough.

And it is true, take the past 20 years without Brady. Here’s the list of SB winning QB’s.
-Trent Dilfer
-Drew Brees
-Eli Manning
-Peyton Manning
-Russell Wilson
-Ben Roethlisberger
-Aaron Rodgers
-Patrick Mahomes
-Joe Flacco
-Brad Johnson
-Nick Foles

That looks about 50/50 to me between great QB’s and Dak level QB’s. Peytons last Super Bowl was also a joke, he was horrible all season and had a 43.9 QBR. Mahomes helped KC get to the SB but he had a horrible game, him getting the MVP was the biggest joke of an MVP I can remember. He gets credit for coming back in the 4th when he threw 2 INT’s and had one of the worst games of his career? They wouldn’t even have been in that position had he just played decent.

So go on...what was that about if I’m 20 years old?

I'm not implying anything. I'm telling you, we have no way of knowing. From what I see, 7 of the 10 QBs listed are HOF guys. I mean, I don't see the 50/50 here.

If your 20 years old, all you've seen is Brady essentially. If your older then that, you've seen life before the Pats and you understand what a difference it makes if you have that guy. The NFL goes back much longer then that and there is ample proof that a Great QB can make a difference, a big one. So now you've been told. What now?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That’s the whole point, we don’t need a QB that can carry a team on his back with all the soldiers. Start screwing around trying to find the perfect QB and the current window will slam shut.

People are afraid that a dubious "window" will be shut since Romo was taking snaps. Every year someone else tries to create a panic just to find some followers of his opinion.

Fact is that when you draft well and handle contracts well you will always have a chance to compete. And this is possible which you can see when you follow others teams.

Because - in contradiction to what some might say - since the salary cap era this league is not a league where every team has a chance to win. Because it now take more than money to be a good franchise. And when you follow the NFL over a longer period you will see its always the same teams that are good. Maybe they have one lesser year but thats it.

Anyways.. i got away from your original post.

You may be right that we dont need a general or some great QB. But then i dont think Dak has enough talent to win a SB even with the talent he was and is surrounded with. This guy has had now 4 years on a team that has had tremendous talent. I remember that the year he was drafted that we all talked SB because a RB was the missing link Romo and this team needed. So its not like Dak had this amazing talent around him for only 1 year. He had it his whole career and what has he achieved ? (see Mahomes...).

I dont want to say you need a Mahomes to win a SB but i think you need a great to at least good QB. A QB around 2-7 or someone who has a year in which he plays like one (see the Eagles). Dak until now did not show me that he is that kind of QB. And after watching his college and NFL career i dont think he has the talent level to play much better.

So overall i think we have great talent for years now. We lack only at one position. And i dont think we should overreact just because of fear and hand out a longterm contract and so bind us to mediocrity.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
People are afraid that a dubious "window" will be shut since Romo was taking snaps. Every year someone else tries to create a panic just to find some followers of his opinion.

Fact is that when you draft well and handle contracts well you will always have a chance to compete. And this is possible which you can see when you follow others teams.

Because - in contradiction to what some might say - since the salary cap era this league is not a league where every team has a chance to win. Because it now take more than money to be a good franchise. And when you follow the NFL over a longer period you will see its always the same teams that are good. Maybe they have one lesser year but thats it.

You may be right that we dont need a general or some great QB. But then i dont think Dak has enough talent to win a SB even with the talent he was and is surrounded with. This guy has had now 4 years on a team that has had tremendous talent. I remember that the year he was drafted that we all talked SB because a RB was the missing link Romo and this team needed. So its not like Dak had this amazing talent around him for only 1 year. He had it his whole career and what has he achieved ? (see Mahomes...).

I dont want to say you need a Mahomes to win a SB but i think you need a great to at least good QB. A QB around 2-7 or someone who has a year in which he plays like one (see the Eagles). Dak until now did not show me that he is that kind of QB. And after watching his college and NFL career i dont think he has the talent level to play much better.

So overall i think we have great talent for years now. We tight now lack only at one position. And i dont think we should overreact just because of fear.

Dak has done as much as Romo has at this point. Are you saying Romo isn't a good qb? I'm genuinely curious cause some people on this forum don't think much of Romo either.

aria

Reaction score
I'm not implying anything. I'm telling you, we have no way of knowing. From what I see, 7 of the 10 QBs listed are HOF guys. I mean, I don't see the 50/50 here.

If your 20 years old, all you've seen is Brady essentially. If your older then that, you've seen life before the Pats and you understand what a difference it makes if you have that guy. The NFL goes back much longer then that and there is ample proof that a Great QB can make a difference, a big one. So now you've been told. What now?
I think defenses carried some those QB’s to SB’s. Eli played great in the playoffs and SB’s but his regular season stats weren’t all that, do you think he was that much better than Dak?

To make it easier, what 3 don’t you think will make the HOF. And part of the reason I said 50/50 instead of 60/40 is because Peyton’s last SB was a joke. He may have been the worst QB in the league that year, Dak would have easily outplayed him that season.

aria

Reaction score

So overall i think we have great talent for years now. We lack only at one position. And i dont think we should overreact just because of fear and hand out a longterm contract and so bind us to mediocrity.
Some good and fair points. Again, I’m not some Dak lover but I do think he’s good enough to win with what he has and you don’t so you know the saying...

I started a post about this once, why is it that every player under JG has had excuses made for him and every time we didn’t make the playoffs or win a SB when people thought we should it was because of JG but Dak doesn’t get those excuses?

In other words, if everyone else was allegedly playing under their capabilities and/or not being utilized correctly due to coaching why are people already convinced Dak isn’t good enough?

aria

Reaction score
All of this is a moot point, Jerrah’s gearing up to pay Earl after Week 1. Gotta keep the hype train rolling!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think defenses carried some those QB’s to SB’s. Eli played great in the playoffs and SB’s but his regular season stats weren’t all that, do you think he was that much better than Dak?

To make it easier, what 3 don’t you think will make the HOF. And part of the reason I said 50/50 instead of 60/40 is because Peyton’s last SB was a joke. He may have been the worst QB in the league that year, Dak would have easily outplayed him that season.

I think That Defenses play a big role in any Championship run but so what. There are actually 11 QBs listed on your list, so like 63%.

HOFers, I see as both Mannings, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, Ruthlessraper and, at this point, Mahomes.

None HOFers, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco and Foles.

Did Payton win his last Super Bowl? He's a lock. You don't know if Dak outplayes him or not, especially head to head. All of that really means nothing. It's what is, not what we might think.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Cowboys are restructuring contracts because they know the next couple of years because of the covid that the salary cap is taking a major hit next year so teams are trying to free up money for when that happens

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The Cowboys are restructuring contracts because JJ and Co. are getting ready to make a big mistake because they are wanting to pay a mediocre QB that thinks he's top of the shelf stuff when actually he's not...nowhere near it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’re going to need a ton of cap space next year if we intend on signing Dak. Lol

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Cowboys are restructuring contracts because JJ and Co. are getting ready to make a big mistake because they are wanting to pay a mediocre QB that thinks he's top of the shelf stuff when actually he's not...nowhere near it.

It isn't as if they are doing that tomorrow. They have to wait until the off season. If he excels this season, then it will be a good investment. If he is terrible this season, then they need to go out and find that quality QB. Either way, they will need the money.

aria

Reaction score
I think That Defenses play a big role in any Championship run but so what. There are actually 11 QBs listed on your list, so like 63%.

HOFers, I see as both Mannings, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, Ruthlessraper and, at this point, Mahomes.

None HOFers, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco and Foles.

Did Payton win his last Super Bowl? He's a lock. You don't know if Dak outplayes him or not, especially head to head. All of that really means nothing. It's what is, not what we might think.
Lol, ok, so Dak would have had a season less than a 43.9 QBR? If his name wasn’t Peyton Manning he wouldn’t have even been playing in the Super Bowl. You’re argument was you need an elite QB to win SB’s which would imply elite QB play and now you’re copping out by saying “so what, he won a SB” without even acknowledging his stats. Lol, ok....we’re done here.

63% fine, splitting hairs, you said I wasn’t even close, that’s pretty damn close.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol, ok, so Dak would have had a season less than a 43.9 QBR? If his name wasn’t Peyton Manning he wouldn’t have even been playing in the Super Bowl. You’re argument was you need an elite QB to win SB’s which would imply elite QB play and now you’re copping out by saying “so what, he won a SB” without even acknowledging his stats. Lol, ok....we’re done here.

63% fine, splitting hairs, you said I wasn’t even close, that’s pretty damn close.

Season doesn't matter. We aren't talking about the season. We are talking about Championships right? But since you bring it up, we can compare Manning to Dak and see where they stack up. Manning has two trophies and a HOF career. Dak?

So yeah, you originally said 50/50, we are done here.

:laugh:

aria

Reaction score
Season doesn't matter. We aren't talking about the season. We are talking about Championships right? But since you bring it up, we can compare Manning to Dak and see where they stack up. Manning has two trophies and a HOF career. Dak?

So yeah, you originally said 50/50, we are done here.

:laugh:
Ok, simple enough. I would love to give you the stats without names attached but I’m not taking the time, look it up yourself. Dak smokes Peyton in almost every category when you compare their first 4 years. Go ahead...let’s hear the excuses.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

Swagger

Reaction score

aria

Reaction score
So you are claiming that Dak Prescott is a better QB than Peyton Manning?
Nope. Since he was saying everything in the future is hypothetical and therefore had to look at the past (ie championships) I pulled up the stats from the past. Dak was better than Peyton in most statistical categories when comparing their first 4 years. That’s a fact, the numbers are there if you click on the links.

But for arguments sake, if Dak continues to have better numbers than Peyton and wins 2 SB’s (even if he had almost no role in the regular season or playoffs for one of those SB’s) would he then be better?