Fisher: Cowboys should trade for Nick Foles

garyo1954

Reaction score

Here’s what Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune had to say about the current situation with Foles, and it doesn’t sound like Foles is going anywhere anytime soon.

The Bears reworked Foles’ contract to facilitate the trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars last spring when they acquired him for a fourth-round pick. As part of that deal, Foles already received a $4 million roster bonus this year, and he has $5 million in guaranteed money remaining on his contract — a $4 million base salary for this season and $1 million in base salary for 2022. It would cost the Bears more in cap space to cut Foles, even after June 1, than it would to carry him on the roster this season. Unless a team such as the New York Jets wants to trade for Foles — and the Bears would be lucky to get a late-round pick in return — he’s probably not going anywhere. Do the Jets want to inherit $5 million in guarantees for Foles?

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/08/bears-justin-fields-nick-foles-future/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We got Dalton with a very cheap, no risk deal . didn't have to give up draft picks to get him and only committed minor QB money for just a one year rental .. for a vet QB with winning game experience - that was quite a deal .

- my question is at what price would we have to give up to obtain Foles ?
i wouldn't mind a late round pick - but no more than that.
Not ready for a mid round picks for a 32 yr old vet QB

- With Ben DiNucci, he just didn't have adequate time to develop and adjust to NFL.
No OTA's, very limited camp, no preseason, and he was wolf-thrusted into a game way too fast for him.
Too much to ask for a very green rookie.

They liked DaNooch enough to keep him on the roster *given* the total lack of prep possible for a rookie 3rd string QB last season. Could have easily exposed him and tried to sneak him onto the PS. They at least must have thought he'd have a lot more if given a real chance and didn't want to lose him.

It's possible.

That they didn't bring in another rookie and only have Rush and Gilbert as veteran options hints to me that they think DaNooch can be backup 1. Neither Rush nor Gilbert would keep them from getting Foles if they thought DaNooch just wouldn't be an option to start a game.

quickccc

Reaction score
They liked DaNooch enough to keep him on the roster *given* the total lack of prep possible for a rookie 3rd string QB last season. Could have easily exposed him and tried to sneak him onto the PS. They at least must have thought he'd have a lot more if given a real chance and didn't want to lose him.

It's possible.

That they didn't bring in another rookie and only have Rush and Gilbert as veteran options hints to me that they think DaNooch can be backup 1. Neither Rush nor Gilbert would keep them from getting Foles if they thought DaNooch just wouldn't be an option to start a game.

frankly i don't see their interest in Cooper Rush - a guy with very limited physical tools and cannot ad lib to save his life - everything has to be perfect for him to operate in the slightest.
Any reps he gets in camp , and takes away from Nooch is a minus for Nooch

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He wasn't any good in Jacksonville and he couldn't beat out Trubisky, yet he would do well here as a backup? I don't think so.

Let the Bears have him. I doubt they are not going to make 3 QBs active on gameday. Fields will be active. So, it comes down to Dalton and Foles for the other slot on gameday.

I guess the Bears will wait and see if someone gets hurt and they can move Foles.

If it is a backup QB, I would go with a mobile QB. These statues in the pocket like Foles and Flacco won't do well as a backup in my opinion. Could have had Trubisky as a backup for less money.
if we are
His cap hit is 4m$ In 2021 for anyone who trades for him. It’s 6.66m$ to the bears currently, which you wouldn’t be taking on the 2.66m$ prorated signing bonus. But his cap hit in 2022 is 8m$ if you keep him
8 million is just too much in todays NFL for someone on the bench. How much linebacker does 8 million get you?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
frankly i don't see their interest in Cooper Rush - a guy with very limited physical tools and cannot ad lib to save his life - everything has to be perfect for him to operate in the slightest.
Any reps he gets in camp , and takes away from Nooch is a minus for Nooch

I'm disappointed that we don't have another guy on his rookie contract. Just to compete. To give us a likely PS QB.

I can see why you want extra veterans in camp, though. Camp arms who can run the offense capably to let all the *other* players get a decent practice.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Cost me a pretty penny.

Well, recording in a closet in a cut off T shirt SCREAMS “credibility” lol

In response to his pitch— I would be open to the idea of trading for Foles depending on the cost. 6th or 7th? Sure. More than that? Nah.

Bottom line is that the FO is playing it pretty loose in regards to depth behind Dak. Hopefully they bring in some better competition, but I won’t hold ny breath

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, recording in a closet in a cut off T shirt SCREAMS “credibility” lol

In response to his pitch— I would be open to the idea of trading for Foles depending on the cost. 6th or 7th? Sure. More than that? Nah.

Bottom line is that the FO is playing it pretty loose in regards to depth behind Dak. Hopefully they bring in some better competition, but I won’t hold ny breath

When you purchase the Gold package you get closet cam.

Highly recommended.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d definitely recommend pursuing an aging veteran backup in the event Dak goes down for a few games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lmao ! Can you imagine if Dak missed a few games and Foles ends up beating some good teams.
That would be great. It’s doubtful we’d bench our 40 million QB . But we need a veteran backup who can come in and win some games in the event.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am going to pass on Foles. He hasn't been able to repeat his miracle with the Eagles anywhere else he has been, and he has been places. I am still fine with Garrett Gilbert.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Would cost 4 million this year. He suggests trading a 6th or 7th for him.

Not bad for a starter.

I can see it now on "Hard Knocks"....Dak struggles in camp....complains of ankle soreness. Foles comes in....goes 12 for 12 in a full contact scrimmage...obviously he looks better than Dak has ever looked running this offense.....yet Dak is your starter because of the dumb contract signed in the off season. Everyone in America calls for Foles to be your starter....Yet Jerry overrides everyone....and names Dak his starter.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
naw, just give that extra 7 million to dak. He'll promise not to get hurt and he will get into the best shape ever. And for the bonus, he will care more about winning.