Fisher: Manziel top-rated QB on Cowboys board

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
And if Romo's back gives out, he's a huge cap hit. What is the difference?

Could happen. It's a matter of circumstance. If you draft Manziel, you are choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage. Typical Jerruh move that you would be all over.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine that. Hard to believe, huh. :)

I'm not spending the 10 day countdown to draft day wasting my time on Manziel to Dallas. It's not happening. It goes against everything Jerry is about. He's not giving up on Romo and that is exactly how he would look at it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There is no need to get married to Manziel. While we may not see another QB come out with this much buzz there are going to be plenty of QBs next year and the year after to look at. At some point they are going to have to groom someone or throw a QB into the fire which is the most likely option IMO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not spending the 10 day countdown to draft day wasting my time on Manziel to Dallas. It's not happening. It goes against everything Jerry is about. He's not giving up on Romo and that is exactly how he would look at it.

A wise and balanced choice. :)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is no need to get married to Manziel. While we may not see another QB come out with this much buzz there are going to be plenty of QBs next year and the year after to look at. At some point they are going to have to groom someone or throw a QB into the fire which is the most likely option IMO.

Married to Manziel is hardly what I think most want to do, myself included. I just will say I would not complain if it happened and he was the best value for our choice at the time.

But the concept of drafting a QB for the future, yes within three years, cannot be something that is just dismissed as unnecessary. I would be willing to take one early if the value was there.

I just know I do not want Brandon Weeden taking a snap for this team at any point. It would bring back memories from Chad Hutchinson's hey day.

I also know I would prefer just to send Orton packing if he cannot even be around for voluntary offseason work knowing Romo cannot participate fully. If he can't see to do that, I would cut him as he apparently has no interest in leading this team in Romo's absence. He basically forced the team into signing another camp arm.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
There is ALREADY 7.5m guaranteed in salary for 2015 because he was on the roster this year past the third day of the 2014 business year. So that is 7.5m in REAL money, not cap money that is coming out of Jones pocket for nothing if we cut Romo.

So his 2015 cap number would be that 7.5m in guaranteed salary, plus 10.773 prorata for 2015, 9.135 for 2016, 7.5 for 2017 and 2.5 for 2018. His cap number would be 37.48m instead of his current number of 27.8. So adding Manziel's number of 4m that YOU suggested means paying over 40m in cap space at the QB position in 2015. Hardly going cheap at the QB position.

Over the cap says we have 19m in cap room for next year...but we only have 41 contracts on the book. Add 10 more min contracts and that number drops to about 15m. Adding Romo's additional cap hit of 9.6m plus Johnny Football's leaves us with pocket change. And, oh yeah, we still haven't signed Dez or Tyron to new deals. Selvie will be up, so will Carter and Murray and a few others.

If you are talking about cutting him before the 3rd day of 2015 league year AND making him a June 1st cut if that is possible....he still would account for about 18.3m in dead money in 2015 and about 20m in 2016. So you are still paying around 22m for the QB spot although you would save some in cap space in 2105 and a 1.5m increase in the 2016 cap hit. You would really receive any benefits of having a young QB until the 3rd year of his deal. Whoopie!

(Waiting for xwalker to come in and check my math)
it's past time to pull the plug on Romo. Sadly it is virtually impossible now. We are in Limbo until we can get out from under this hideous contract. Any other gm would be fired for this deal.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Married to Manziel is hardly what I think most want to do, myself included. I just will say I would not complain if it happened and he was the best value for our choice at the time.

But the concept of drafting a QB for the future, yes within three years, cannot be something that is just dismissed as unnecessary. I would be willing to take one early if the value was there.

I just know I do not want Brandon Weeden taking a snap for this team at any point. It would bring back memories from Chad Hutchinson's hey day.

I also know I would prefer just to send Orton packing if he cannot even be around for voluntary offseason work knowing Romo cannot participate fully. If he can't see to do that, I would cut him as he apparently has no interest in leading this team in Romo's absence. He basically forced the team into signing another camp arm.

While I think that is a rational argument, I don't see the need to draft a QB in the first round when we have more pressing needs that can be addressed via the BPA at a position of need. There are enough needs on the team esp on defense we should be able to address them most rounds. Play Romo and then draft a future starter in the next two or even three years from now. You can't develop a QB well without playing time although being around is important. Most importantly you don't want to waste a high pick on a QB and have him sit two or three years or more waiting to play. You only get these guys for four years with an option for a fifth.

It's just not wise to take a QB this year. If Romo goes down for whatever reason then you aren't going to win with a rookie QB most likely. Get your defense fixed AMAP and continue to rebuild the next year or so. They keep their eyes on QBs for the future.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Draft is my unofficial holiday... So therefore I will not be doing any work on Thursday or Friday next week LOL!

NJ22

Reaction score
This board is going to be a hoot to read if we take Manziel at 16.

I gotta tell you. I know we need DE, DT, FS And oline depth and maybe another wr and rb.... But if you believe that Johnny Football is going to be the next Tarkington and I actually do believe this, you jump at the chance to get a qb like that. And get the other spots when you can.