Fisher on 105.3 - 12.31.2019

Kaiser

Reaction score
Behind his arrogant facade is an insecure, little man. I wish Mark Cuban was the owner of the franchise instead of Jerry. At least he appreciates winning.

Cuban is a very smart guy and everyone loves working for him. But Cuban has his own issues, read the SEC complaint against him in his Canadian Search Engine investment.

Cuban and Jerry are just like everyone else on Earth, they have strengths and weaknesses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm about really sick of the complete dysfunction.

It's been clear to me for years they are going nowhere until he is gone, now it's pretty much confirmed.

It's no fun rooting for this team.

He bought it. It's his, it can't be taken from him, so I've gotta live with it, but I'm going away soon.

And that's just sick, because I loved this team since I was a child. He makes it embarrassing and impossible.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have heard it all, lived through it listening to Dallas sports radio daily and read the various books on it.

End of day it all comes down to Jimmy wanted out. He was tired and ready to get back to the ocean and deep sea fishing.
He literally bonded with Aikman over FRESH WATER Fish.

Jimmy was the football mind behind the success 100%
But Jimmy was done with Dallas period. He wasn't ever gonna be the savior that idiotic fans kept crying for even to this day.
The coordinators were gone and Jimmy never had an offense.
His Miami 4-3 with cover 2 was now commonplace and not an advantage.
He hadn't scouted or recruited the HS kids coming out any longer.

Jimmy's ego and love of South Florida is why he chose the Dolphins gig and had been eying it for years. Go read the Shula take on Jimmy....
I believe he yearned for SFla as you say, but he is a man of purpose and legacy. If Jerry wasn't such a DB, Jimmy would have likely stayed on to finish the run. Could have been one year, could have been 3 years.

Shula is not exactly the objective source for anything Jimmy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And by extension the issue is with Jerry, because Garrett is Jerry's boy. And if he loves Dez, he obviously loves whoever hated him more, because Dez was dumped rather unceremoniously and assigned the narrative of beign the problem with the team after the disappointing 2017 season.
The issue is with Jerry true. It is loyalty.
That's how we got here.
He forced Garrett upon Wade and chose Wade because he could force Garrett on him.
JG was a bad offensive coordinator who should not have been promoted but was.

Jerry is the problem. But it is his humanity and heart causing the problems not malice or business decisions.

For Jerry business is personal.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was driving back to Dallas from Fairfield, Texas yesterday and heard most of the program with Fisher discussing the Garrett situation. This will be from memory.

Jerry gets attached to people who work for him. From the janitor to the head coach, he agonizes over firing people. The example given was one of the cleaning staff whose wife had died. I think she may have been on a trip, but not certain. Jerry went out of his way to help the guy.

Another example is a fourth round DB that was not going to make the team. The guy blew out a knee and Jerry was in tears over it. I think there was a video of Jerry in the locker room after and the guy is distraught. Jerry calls his father and assures they will take care of him. Can't remember why there was video though. That may have been too early for one of those preseasons with a team things.

Jerry also was very fond of Garrett's father. When Jerry bought the team, Garrett's father was a big part of helping him transition into an NFL front office. Fisher expressed that the Jones see the Garrett's as family.

Fisher's reasons for the multiple meetings are - Jerry's feelings for Garrett, the contract for Garrett does not end until Jan 14th - Jones believes since this is the Dallas Cowboys, he has plenty of time to find a quality replacement, regardless of what the marketplace is doing at this time. It was stressed that this was an arrogant position, but the fact remains they are the Dallas Cowboys, so they said.

A point was brought up of how long does Jerry have as the GM.

Fisher said if he were to utter that Jerry's days were numbered, Jerry would be on the phone within minutes to the radio station assuring he will be here for a very long time.

This segued into a discussion about the hire. The coach who will be hired, if successful, will need to have a good relationship with Stephen since there is a possibility Stephen will be in charge for the majority of this man's tenure. Again, if this coach is successful.

A side comment that was downplayed as an off hand remark was this coach will need to have a good relationship with Steepen and Will McClay.

Fish is pretty sure Garrett is giving an assessment of each player, thus the multiple meetings. One of the radio guys suggested that of Garrett was talking for 45 minute per player, he may still be around at the beginning of training camp.

To sum up, they are picking Garrett's brain Jerry loves Garret and is saddened by this. He could have fired Garrett after the Chicago game, but again, his feelings for Garrett;s family prevented it. Jerry relies on the team being the premiere franchise and thus will get his guy when the time comes. The new coach will need to fit well with Stpehen and McClay.

That makes me think McClay may end up, being the GM. But there was no discussion on this.

As a side note, there is a place in Fairfield on 45 named Sam's, right on the highway. It is an all you can eat Southern cooking place. They have a 30 ft long buffet. Entrees are included as well as dessert. All the bar-b-que, or chicken friend steak. Catfish. Fried chicken. The menu changes daily.

I damn near needed a nap after. This place has been recommended on food network TV shows and Texas Monthy. About 80 miles from Dallas down 45 toward Houston.

https://www.samsoriginal.com/
Thanks for sharing, its appreciated

Shinaoi

Reaction score
That’s all well and good. And Jerry has taken care of Garret to the tune of millions of dollars. He hired him to be the back up qb and let him coach the team for 10 years. All careers come to and end, Jerry did Jason better than most would have.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I believe he yearned for SFla as you say, but he is a man of purpose and legacy. If Jerry wasn't such a DB, Jimmy would have likely stayed on to finish the run. Could have been one year, could have been 3 years.

Shula is not exactly the objective source for anything Jimmy.
Jimmy himself has stated he wasn't staying so he had to devise a plan to get out with his money.
He pushed Jerry and Jerry was totally played a fool.
He said and did stupid things in front of media that got out. --the drunken 1000s of coaches crap most notably.
At the end of the day Jerry was going to BE the Cowboys and Jimmy was going to be gone.
He was simply waiting on the Dolphins job which is why Shula hates him so.

It's like kids blaming their moms because their dads left the family when they were kids because the mom is "crazy".

Jimmy had reached out for the Dolphins job which is what started the entire thing. Jerry considered that a backstab galore.
Jimmy then knew he had to get fired or else he was going to be sunk financially as Jerry had fronted Jimmy a lot of cash.
So he went scorched earth and Jerry bit. He fired him and gave him the entire contract. It was initially a crazy 10 year contract.
He paid ALL that off. Jimmy walked away with about 2m in cash back to Florida.

Jimmy then got a 4 year 8M deal to coach Miami. Where he won all of 2 playoffs games and became lifetime enemies of the Shulas and Dan Marino.

Jerry ran the team into the absolute ground relying on Lacewell as his football guy. Loyalty to Lacewell has only been compared to loyalty to JG.

But he did cede control to Bill Parcells.
BP worked insanely long hours to turn it around but it was dumb luck that landed him Romo and the reliance on older vets he knew had cost development for younger guys.
The team had reached 8-9 win areas but weren't great. Romo fumbled a PAT hold.. oy vey.
He decided himself to step down and relax.

Jerry didn't push BP out but he did retain control once BP left.
Rather than hire a football guy to make decisions he hired high end consultants to advise him.
And the reality has been a good but never great organization.
Playoff hump slapped them around when they had some really good teams put together. Beat the Giants twice the year they won the SB. Murray fluke fumble plus Dez called incomplete versus GB.
But they did finish the 2010's with one of the top records.

This hasn't been Lacewell/Campo land.

Nothing worse than people like Jimmy Johnson playing victim. It's even worse than the Lacewell/Jerry combo.
This isn't hard.
Jimmy: "I ran everything."
common sense: Then why did you leave? LOL.
Reality: Because he wanted to.

Truth is Jimmy is arguably the greatest eye for DB talent in league history. Saban, Pete Carroll and BillB also have great eyes there so that may be a desire in a new coach.
But Jimmy wasn't that good on the offensive side. He never wanted Troy. He was handed Emmitt after failing on other targets. Irvin was already here.
He had no offensive scheme at all. Lawrence Taylor laughed on national tv at how plain the offense was that first year.
That's why Troy credits Norv with EVERYthing.

links18

Reaction score
The issue is with Jerry true. It is loyalty.
That's how we got here.
He forced Garrett upon Wade and chose Wade because he could force Garrett on him.
JG was a bad offensive coordinator who should not have been promoted but was.

Jerry is the problem. But it is his humanity and heart causing the problems not malice or business decisions.

For Jerry business is personal.

Its his loyalty to those who he is invested in and who make him feel comfortable.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
jerry jones Is doing the same thing to the dallas cowboys that the owner did to the raiders before he finally died al davis set the raiders back twenty years and jerry now has set the cowboys back 25 years it will take and new gm and head coach years to turn this franchise around jerry jones needs to step back or he is going to bury the cowboys under a ton of garbage

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm about really sick of the complete dysfunction.

It's been clear to me for years they are going nowhere until he is gone, now it's pretty much confirmed.

It's no fun rooting for this team.

He bought it. It's his, it can't be taken from him, so I've gotta live with it, but I'm going away soon.

And that's just sick, because I loved this team since I was a child. He makes it embarrassing and impossible.
You’ll be back opening day.

rags747

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson still isn’t in the ROH, so yes, Jerry is petty and emotionally unstable.
How is Jerry petty? Jimmy broke up that wonderful relationship because he was clearly burnt out and then decided to act like a 12 year old when Jerry came over to congratulate the coaches table. If Jimmy didn’t act like a little girl he was still done and burnt out. And this guy studied psychology in college? Makes me laugh. Love Jimmy, but he was a freaking Snow Flake 25 years before we ever even heard the term Snow Flake. It’s Jerry’s ROH, he can do as he dam well chooses as he is King of the Cowboy Empire, Jimmy was simply hired help...Nothing more. When you are hired help you get your toes on the line and say Yes Sir!

fansince68

Reaction score
Jerry agonizes over firing people? I'm sure dumping Wade mid season for his favorite puppet truly traumatized him..... :facepalm:

I bet he still has sleepless nights over firing Jimmy a week after winning the damn super bowl too.
And...Tom Landry....that was quite easy for him.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Behind his arrogant facade is an insecure, little man. I wish Mark Cuban was the owner of the franchise instead of Jerry. At least he appreciates winning.

Jerry made his fortune by taking high dollar risks,and by having the confidence and huevos to stick with them.

He's not a fraud or loser or a wimp; he has some flaws, like we all do.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jerry made his fortune by taking high dollar risks,and by having the confidence and huevos to stick with them.

He's not a fraud or loser or a wimp; he has some flaws, like we all do.

Cuban is known in the Tech world as being smart and a great boss to have, but also for being the absolute luckiest guy in the Internet bubble. He sold some crappy video servers to Yahoo at the absolute pinnacle of the bubble but was smart enough to pull money off the table as fast as possible.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Yeah...

This is why you have the GM and owner be separate, otherwise the GM won't do what needs to be done or be held accountable by the owner.