Fisher saying Cowboys have pick 50 earmarked for Earl Thomas

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Lol at some of you. He would make our secondary so much better. It’s like having another Sean lee on the field. He’s a damn general

Also with a young secondary with potential hes the guy that can help take it to the next level. Dont care what silly fans around hete say. Its about damn time. This defense needs elite talent.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Fwiw

If true, seems an extention is the last roadblock. Not trading for him without an extension

I doubt they can come to a contract agreement. He wants to get paid big money and the FO hasn’t shelled big money in a long time. Especially for a29 year old that isn’t originally theirs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's arguably the best FS in the game. has been either 1st team or 2nd team all pro every yr of his career except 2015 which he broke his leg.

He hasn't been all-pro since 2014. Your talking about the pro bowl.

MarkP88

Reaction score
No doubt Thomas is better than anyone we have back there now.

But football, more than any other sport, is one in which a player's individual success is dependent on his surroundings - scheme, coaches, teammates. We'd be investing draft capital and salary cap space to aquire him. How likely is it that he'd be worth that investment?

We all picture his play in Seattle when we think of Thomas...and yeah, his former position coach is here, and our scheme isn't dissimilar to Seattle's. But here, he won't be playing alongside Chancellor and Sherman, with Seattle's strong and fast front seven in front of him. He's also almost 30, has had some injuries, and the whole reason he might be available is because he's explicitly looking for a big payday.

My guess is that he'd be good. But not all-world, not enough to justify investing a high pick and lots of salary cap space to him. I want to pay Martin, and if Lawrence has another big year, I'd value a proven pass rusher over an aging safety.

Just my two cents...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He hasn't been all-pro since 2014. Your talking about the pro bowl.
nope i mean all pro.

iated Press
2012 1st Tm Associated Press
2012 1st Tm Pro Football Writers
2012 1st Tm Sporting News
2013 1st Tm Associated Press
2013 1st Tm Pro Football Writers
2013 1st Tm Sporting News
2013 2nd Tm Pro Football Focus
2014 2nd Tm Pro Football Focus
2014 1st Tm Sporting News
2014 1st Tm Pro Football Writers
2014 1st Tm Associated Press
2015 1st Tm Sporting News
2015 2nd Tm Pro Football Focus
2017 1st Tm Sporting News
2017 2nd Tm Associated Press

seamus18

Reaction score
I think people complaining about his age should go back and look at the stats of Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed and Charles Woodson after age 29 and tell me that Earl is close to being finished. Tell me you wouldn't take any of the from 29-34. If you say no, you are kidding yourself. Earl still has a lot left and would immediately help this team.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Mike Fisher is one of the worst sports authorities anywhere. The guy flip-flops daily to attract views. A pile of bricks could win an argument against him because they won't say anything stupid.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I think people complaining about his age should go back and look at the stats of Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed and Charles Woodson after age 29 and tell me that Earl is close to being finished. Tell me you wouldn't take any of the from 29-34. If you say no, you are kidding yourself. Earl still has a lot left and would immediately help this team.

Well if our d can be somewhat near what some of those other teams d were around their fs.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
You guys that dont want Earl Thomas are funny..

Yea who wants the best FS in the game?...shoot, we could use that pick on a injured linebacker or tighend!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When has the current regime ever hardballed any team?

This team doesn't trade enough for us to know how they handle trades.

For me......I'm not concerned with age. He may suck next season......but at free safety.....it would not shock me if he had 3 good years left. My concern here is value. Seattle seems to be happy about a 2nd rounder......I don't want to make them happy. I want them to take what I give them and IMO, a 3rd rounder Is solid value for them. They are ready to move on from ET, he needs a new contract, he's 29......to get a 3rd rounder for that seems to be solid value to me. A 2nd rounder for a talent like him is still a steal.......but I feel like you can get him for less than that and if not? Wait until he's a free agent. Actually I Think I prefer that at this point. I'd rather wait for him to become a free agent than trade a 2nd for him.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
You guys that dont want Earl Thomas are funny..

Yea who wants the best FS in the game?...shoot, we could use that pick on a injured linebacker or tighend!

Rather have a wr in the 2nd that has speed and can get separation.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I guess you’d rather we waste it on a mediocre player like usual.
I am not saying that Thomas would be a waste, I am saying that it always seems to be the 2nd pick that they take a chance on.

Also, Thomas is really good but is he worth the money/cap hit? I guess I would rather you not waste your mediocre statement on me. Save it for someone who deserves it, Jack!

BigD_95

Reaction score
I am usually not on board for trading for players, especially when they are getting close to 30 and will demand a big contract. I like the young guys and the energy they bring. However, I do think that bringing a player like ET could get the D over the hump and make them a true force. We have a pretty good rotation of DL, We just picked our starting MLB, to pair with one of the greats in Lee and what I think will be a great LB in Smith. We drafted our secondary last year and the year before. Having someone like ET would make us a top 10 D for sure with the other parts we already have. So while 50 is a steep price it may just be worth it in this circumstance.

Maybe we can trade 50, get ET, use one of our 4ths and beasly to move back into the 2nd or early 3rd to get the WR we want

Stop trying to trade Beasley! With Dez going he is our best WR on the team. Geez