Twitter: Fisher tweet on Jerry Jones

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’m not even sure that Jerry understood the question.

I don’t think Dallas messes around with any kind of risky pick at 58. Likely one of the safeties or DT from their 30 visit list.

That’s where they’ll go IMO.

Big_D

Reaction score
Um..... what is there to learn? By his count, he's been pretty successful at this type of risk. He's won more than lost.

It's the 2nd round of the draft. There's quality players on the board who can contribute right away without drafting injury risks and head cases. If this was a strategy for later rounds.. great, but it's moronic in round 2 specially without a first round pick. What has he won exactly?

817Gill

Reaction score
Wouldn't someone with red flags by definition be somewhat of a risk guy? Now had you said injuries instead of red flags... Look at the list. Adams was the only one not injured and missing time out of the gate or red flagged (in the case of Gregory - and that one hasn't exactly been a win win).
I don’t know what you’re getting at but all I said in my post was that Jerry is just saying a guy that fits the risk description will be available, not necessarily that the team is looking to take one.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with that.

I think the Jaylon pick has panned out.

Gregory not so much.

But Flozell & Lee were both good value picks.

The Jaylon pick has done more than "pan out". He's already out performing his draft slot, and still has room for more recovery in the foot. 4 sacks as a blitzing LB. We'll probably use that more next year.

The Gregory pick is doing ok. He played for two accrued seasons so far. Was disappointing in the first after the high ankle sprain courtesy of Tyron, and was ok last year after a slow start.

He may even play this year, but he'll be back in the league, and with us, when the league updates it's pot policy.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not even sure that Jerry understood the question.

I don’t think Dallas messes around with any kind of risky pick at 58. Likely one of the safeties or DT from their 30 visit list.

That’s where they’ll go IMO.
Simmons was a 30 visit

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
This is a case of taking a quote out of context and then trying to summarize for Twitter. It’s a bad combination.

If you watch the press conference and have your JJ decoder ring on, he basically said that by pick 58 you have multiple scenarios in play. There’s the player who drops for no apparent reason, a player with a health issue, a player with red flags, etc. He said there are multiple different “philosophies” that could potentially come into play depending upon who is available.

So instead of saying he was going to draft a pothead or a gimp, as the tweet insinuated, he basically said nothing, all wrapped up in Jerry-speak.

Nothing to get worked up about.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The "time value of draft picks" is definitely a consideration, as the rosters we had in '16 and '17 were ready to win immediately but needed help on defense.

That being said, getting 2 years of Godbacking for a $1M cap hit each is such a big win that it more than makes up for the time lost.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It's the 2nd round of the draft. There's quality players on the board who can contribute right away without drafting injury risks and head cases. If this was a strategy for later rounds.. great, but it's moronic in round 2 specially without a first round pick. What has he won exactly?
You're trying to make this bigger, like because he hasn't won a Superbowl. Drafting a player that can play right away doesn't mean that they would have won a Superbowl either. Doesn't even mean the latest would have been good in their system or with these coaches. From a "pan out" perspective, their gambling on 2nd round risky players has worked out more than it hasn't. Hence, he "wins".

cowboyec

Reaction score
Jaylon Ferguson,DE-La Tech
Gerald Willis,DT-Miami

Jachi Polite???

Big_D

Reaction score
You're trying to make this bigger, like because he hasn't won a Superbowl. Drafting a player that can play right away doesn't mean that they would have won a Superbowl either. Doesn't even mean the latest would have been good in their system or with these coaches. From a "pan out" perspective, their gambling on 2nd round risky players has worked out more than it hasn't. Hence, he "wins".

There's a window to compete with 4 year contracts. Like this is some type of quality move. We'll have to agree to disagree. They do well in the draft which makes this strategy even dumber. And again they've won nothing. There's time constraints and that window don't stay open forever. There is simply no room for moves like this in todays NFL. Players come and go very fast. Like I said later in the draft.. fine. But their 2nd round habit has done them no favors over the long haul. Sure they panned out and still won nothing. It's the big picture and that gamble is part of the problem not the solution.

nobody

Reaction score
Jerry is a gambler. Most gamblers will never admit that they have a gambling problem. Rather than waste his money in Vegas, he gambles on high risk players. His mindset is "I just need to get lucky this one time" and it never changes.