Twitter: Five Cowboys - Three OL selected First Team All-Pro

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Not to be a debbie downer but Tyron Smith was not one of the top 2 tackles in the game this year. I know he had injuries all year but still, too many sacks and penalties in my humble opinion.

irishline

Reaction score
Not to be a debbie downer but Tyron Smith was not one of the top 2 tackles in the game this year. I know he had injuries all year but still, too many sacks and penalties in my humble opinion.

Smith was credit with 6 penalties (2nd lowest of his career) and 2 sacks (also 2nd lowest of his career). Granted it was only 13 games but those a very solid numbers IMHO.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24796&team=6

The 2nd team tackles had 5/3 and7/6 penalties and sacks allowed respectively. So I suppose it was close.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He plays OG.

That's the OG market now. Stay current son.
No, Kyle Long went to the Pro Bowl his 1st three years and then signed for 10M per in 2016. That is less than Osemele despite being a more recent contract. Long is considered an elite OG that also played OT when needed. He was injured most of this year but is a top OG.

Even then Long played mostly OT in 2015 just before signing the contract which probably increases his value relative to an OG only.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No, Kyle Long went to the Pro Bowl his 1st three years and then signed for 10M per in 2016. That is less than Osemele despite being a more recent contract. Long is considered an elite OG that also played OT when needed. He was injured most of this year but is a top OG.

Even then Long played mostly OT in 2015 just before signing the contract which probably increases his value relative to an OG only.

David Decastro - a guy who took four years to crack his first pro bowl goes 6 years 50 mill.

Let's call that the best guard contract.

How is Zack - being obviously superior and ridiculously more recognized, not gonna get 5-60?

Think about it more - he's signing an extension. You are now comparing 2016 contacts to 2018 deals.

Stupid to not lock this down right now.

But hey, maybe we can get Parnell back if he leaves

plasticman

Reaction score
You know what I would love to see? I wouldn't even care if the Cowboys won or lost just to see this once.

I would love to see a whole Cowboy game where the offense
ran the ball every single play, didn't pass the ball once. In a jury up offense.

I would just love to see them push the other team's front 7 around, especially when that opponent defense began to wear down halfway through the 3rd quarter.

That would be awesome. In fact, make McFadden the fullback, replace the 2nd receiver with an offensive lineman that lines up like a TE.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Decastro - a guy who took four years to crack his first pro bowl goes 6 years 50 mill.

Let's call that the best guard contract.

How is Zack - being obviously superior and ridiculously more recognized, not gonna get 5-60?

Think about it more - he's signing an extension. You are now comparing 2016 contacts to 2018 deals.

Stupid to not lock this down right now.

But hey, maybe we can get Parnell back if he leaves
Decastro is 8.3M average if he is 6/50. That is a long ways from 12M average that your suggesting for Martin.

Maybe they do pay Martin 12M, but it would be because he is 3x All Pro not because of Osemele and his OT contract. I don't have a problem with it other than it would seem that Fred got ripped off in comparison. It's hard to find a quality Center and the Cowboys proved that for many years. They can find good enough Guards like Leary, Collins, maybe even Cooper but finding a top Center is almost impossible. Teams rarely let them get to FA and they are rare in the draft.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score

erod

Reaction score
Sean Lee is proof the Pro Bowl is stupid and irrelevant.

That's like Usain Bolt not making the Jamaican national team.

All-Pro matters ONLY.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Awesome.

Next year, let's add Collins, Jaylon Smith, and Byron Jones to the list!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Decastro is 8.3M average if he is 6/50. That is a long ways from 12M average that your suggesting for Martin.

Maybe they do pay Martin 12M, but it would be because he is 3x All Pro not because of Osemele and his OT contract. I don't have a problem with it other than it would seem that Fred got ripped off in comparison. It's hard to find a quality Center and the Cowboys proved that for many years. They can find good enough Guards like Leary, Collins, maybe even Cooper but finding a top Center is almost impossible. Teams rarely let them get to FA and they are rare in the draft.

Osemele who played G and just made all pro at that spot is a "tackle contact."

Nice logic.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Osemele who played G and just made all pro at that spot is a "tackle contact."

Nice logic.
How hard is it to understand that at the time he signed the contract it was to play OT.

The contract value was set then, not now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
How hard is it to understand that at the time he signed the contract it was to play OT.

The contract value was set then, not now.

X, you should know by now that I respect your views and enjoy talking football your direction...

What are your opinions on this offensive line, by position...and how do you project the best solution at right tackle into the future?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Sean Lee deserved it, but I never got how all pro voting was any better. It's voted on by AP writers, right? How are they any better at saying which players are all pro?

erod

Reaction score
Sean Lee deserved it, but I never got how all pro voting was any better. It's voted on by AP writers, right? How are they any better at saying which players are all pro?
Because they actually watch the games and consider everything. Reputation and flash doesn't matter as much. Players don't put in the time to study it, so the Pro Bowl becomes just a popularity contest like American Idol.