Fixing the Offensive Line

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Cowboys need replacements for Doug Free and Ron Leary. Last year, they tried Green and Cooper at Guard, and Collins at RT. It may just be a coincidence, but poor play at LG may have led to Tyron Smith getting injured, because he was overcompensating for a hole next to him. The Cowboys also need to replace backup interior lineman Joe Looney.

The Cowboys have brought in OG/C Marcus Martin on a free agent visit, a former 3rd round pick (70th overall) of the 49ers in 2014, who is only 24 years old. Injured during his 2nd season, the 49ers waived him and he was picked up off waivers by the Browns - who were #2 on the waiver wire. Martin could be a young replacement for Joe Looney.

The Cowboys are also going to visit this week with SB LII starting RT Cameron Fleming, himself a 4th round pick (140th overall) of the Patriots in 2014. The 25 year old Fleming has been the Patriots swing tackle, and has played well in 20 starts he's made in 4 seasons. He could initially step into a role as the starting RT, allowing the Cowboys to move Collins back to LG to play beside Smith.

The Cowboys have also scheduled a pre-draft visit with the very athletic, but raw OT prospect from UCLA, who is rated as a 2nd round player. If the Cowboys did draft Miller after signing Fleming, he would have time to develop behind Fleming, and could replace Green as the swing tackle on game day. If Miller develops, he could eventually replace Fleming in the starting lineup, and Fleming could revert to being a swing tackle, as he's been with the Patriots.

The Cowboys could still choose to resign Cooper, giving them the following linemen going into the 2018 training camp:

1st round picks - Smith, Frederick, Martin, Cooper
2nd round picks - Miller
3rd round picks - Green, Martin
4th round picks - Fleming
undrafted - Collins

The added benefit is the ability to focus on defense with the rest of the draft.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
The Cowboys need replacements for Doug Free and Ron Leary. Last year, they tried Green and Cooper at Guard, and Collins at RT. It may just be a coincidence, but poor play at LG may have led to Tyron Smith getting injured, because he was overcompensating for a hole next to him. The Cowboys also need to replace backup interior lineman Joe Looney.

The Cowboys have brought in OG/C Marcus Martin on a free agent visit, a former 3rd round pick (70th overall) of the 49ers in 2014, who is only 24 years old. Injured during his 2nd season, the 49ers waived him and he was picked up off waivers by the Browns - who were #2 on the waiver wire. Martin could be a young replacement for Joe Looney.

The Cowboys are also going to visit this week with SB LII starting RT Cameron Fleming, himself a 4th round pick (140th overall) of the Patriots in 2014. The 25 year old Fleming has been the Patriots swing tackle, and has played well in 20 starts he's made in 4 seasons. He could initially step into a role as the starting RT, allowing the Cowboys to move Collins back to LG to play beside Smith.

The Cowboys have also scheduled a pre-draft visit with the very athletic, but raw OT prospect from UCLA, who is rated as a 2nd round player. If the Cowboys did draft Miller after signing Fleming, he would have time to develop behind Fleming, and could replace Green as the swing tackle on game day. If Miller develops, he could eventually replace Fleming in the starting lineup, and Fleming could revert to being a swing tackle, as he's been with the Patriots.

The Cowboys could still choose to resign Cooper, giving them the following linemen going into the 2018 training camp:

2nd round picks - Miller
undrafted - Collins

The added benefit is the ability to focus on defense with the rest of the draft.

Addressing the o-line in FA allows us to jump into the top 10 range to get Derwin James, Roquan Smith, or a Tremaine Edwards which would cost us pick 50 I would assume, but with the amount of picks and depth in this draft we would be able to get a day 1 starter with the ability to be a difference maker on this team and still add quality depth.

With a 3rd round picks a guy like Pettis would give us a playmaker at WR and another return guy.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

2nd round picks - Miller
undrafted - Collins

If you consider Collins a first rd pick (which he should have been), that's 5 first rd draft picks on the Oline.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree keep Collins at RT, sign Martin and draft a OG or 2 day 3.
If smith is healthy a young guard between an elite center and tackle can develope pretty quickly and doesn’t have to be a first rnd pick to be good
Cooper was solid there last year after having a very lack luster career

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If you consider Collins a first rd pick (which he should have been), that's 5 first rd draft picks on the Oline.

Exactly. already too much put Into this oline and offense. But let's keep adding and adding and ignoring the defense. Maybe if Dallas can get their offense to score 50 points game it wont matter if every team they play can put up 30+.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If smith is healthy a young guard between an elite center and tackle can develope pretty quickly and doesn’t have to be a first rnd pick to be good

Thats why I say get a guy like Marcus Martin who is not a big price guy and draft 1 or 2 in the 3rd day.

Picking at 19 isn't ideal in this draft, and if we want a difference maker on the defensive side we will have to move up.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
To me fixing the o-line is pretty simple. Is Tyron Smith healthy? If yes you can throw a JAG in there to play between Smith and Fredrick.

If this offense can't function with one average/below average player on the o line when the rest of the group is stacked, then we have much bigger issues.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Signing Marcus Martin and Cameron Fleming goes a long way to fixing the OL from last year. Then if we could get Miller in the second, could be a good fix for a number of years. Will not be surprised if we also don't lock in on a safety this week although I am hoping for Eric Reid but a safety would help. Could see maybe Jordan Matthews WR coming in for a visit also. Will be happy just to see some signing this week.

As to the draft, can't see us moving up into the top ten until the QBs shake out and probably not even then. They could sit at 19 and probably get Ridley WR or Vander Esch OLB. Think James is a pipe dream as the cost to move into the top ten would be our 2nd, and they are not going to give it up. I would look at Jessie Bates on the radar in the 3rd.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Lets also see what the new offensive line guy can do. Sometimes a coach can make a difference. I think Pollack wasnt good enough to follow up Callahan so lets see what the new guy wants. Maybe he doesnt need steak at every position.

Teams have been doing better with less. Id like a nice line, we dont need a dominate line at the cost to keep it anymore.

conner01

Reaction score
Thats why I say get a guy like Marcus Martin who is not a big price guy and draft 1 or 2 in the 3rd day.

Picking at 19 isn't ideal in this draft, and if we want a difference maker on the defensive side we will have to move up.
M M would probably do as well as Cooper and is an ideal backup if the rookie can start because he can also play
19 is not ideally where I’d want a guard but if the best player is a guard I’d take him
I’d also be looking to trade Beasley and a pick to add another second rnd pick
Really like the second rnd this year and Beasley is in last year of his deal with Switzer looking capable of stepping right in

Aven8

Reaction score
Wow, more Olineman to help fix JG's crappy offense while we have a very mobile QB. This team is a joke.

waldoputty

Reaction score
M M would probably do as well as Cooper and is an ideal backup if the rookie can start because he can also play
19 is not ideally where I’d want a guard but if the best player is a guard I’d take him
I’d also be looking to trade Beasley and a pick to add another second rnd pick
Really like the second rnd this year and Beasley is in last year of his deal with Switzer looking capable of stepping right in
MM videos did not look pretty... 49ers board killed him. he did not play for browns last year so may be he improved.