Flashback: New Orleans tries to trade for Romo

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm just curious having a chance to look back on Romo's career, how many here believe he would have a Super Bowl ring if the Saints had upped their offer to a second-round pick in 2006 (which Parcells wrote in his book that he would have traded Romo for when New Orleans sought him for a third)?

I do, and it's not because I believe that Romo is quite as good as Brees, whom the Saints acquired instead.

In 2009, when New Orleans won the Super Bowl, Brees completed 70.6 percent of his passes with 34 TDs and 11 interceptions for a 109.4 rating. Romo that year completed 63.1 with 26 TDs, 9 ints. and a 97.6 rating.

Of course, we don't know how much playing for Payton would have changed Romo's numbers, but what we do know is that the Saints allowed only 20 sacks that year while Dallas allowed 34.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Brees wanted to sign with Miami, the only other team looking at him besides New Orleans, but they chose Duante Culpepper instead. :muttley:

Payton/Brees' relationship has been a happy accident for the Saints.
Never knew that, I was like 12 or 13 at the time. Hilarious tidbit.

I hope Brees writes a book when he hangs it up. He has a legitimate case for the GOAT, but is rarely put in those conversations.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm just curious having a chance to look back on Romo's career, how many here believe he would have a Super Bowl ring if the Saints had upped their offer to a second-round pick in 2006 (which Parcells wrote in his book that he would have traded Romo for when New Orleans sought him for a third)?

I do, and it's not because I believe that Romo is quite as good as Brees, whom the Saints acquired instead.

In 2009, when New Orleans won the Super Bowl, Brees completed 70.6 percent of his passes with 34 TDs and 11 interceptions for a 109.4 rating. Romo that year completed 63.1 with 26 TDs, 9 ints. and a 97.6 rating.

Of course, we don't know how much playing for Payton would have changed Romo's numbers, but what we do know is that the Saints allowed only 20 sacks that year while Dallas allowed 34.

Imo Romo couldn't have gotten far on any team without choking. That's just what he was when he got anywhere close to the important games.

Cmon, an NFC championship game or greater!? Noway.

And then he was nowhere smarter than brees or nowhere a better passer.

Would have been a waste for the saints.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, I don't think they would have won it.

Romo was great, but I think many are making him better than what he was at times. He still had many bad plays that hurt the team.
As well as all the injuries.

gimmesix

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think they would have won it.

Romo was great, but I think many are making him better than what he was at times. He still had many bad plays that hurt the team.
As well as all the injuries.

Well, we were 11-5 that year and easily beat Philly in the wild card game. However, we were crushed by Minnesota in the divisional playoffs partly because Romo was battered by the Vikings defense. They sacked him six times in that game and pressured him much more than that.

New Orleans got Minnesota at home (which is always an advantage for the Saints), and the Vikings sacked Brees only once. The Saints only won by three points, though, so it's fair to say that that having Brees instead of Romo might have been enough of a difference.

The funny thing is Romo threw for 198 yards in the loss, while Brees threw for 197 in the victory. The main differences in their performances were turnovers, which obviously were a product of the difference in pressure. That was the beginning of the end for that offensive line.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Brees wanted to sign with Miami, the only other team looking at him besides New Orleans, but they chose Duante Culpepper instead. :muttley:

Payton/Brees' relationship has been a happy accident for the Saints.

It is interesting how things work out sometimes. There's a lot of luck involved in the way the dominoes fall.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo's numbers are better than Brees's prior to Sean Payton. There is no reason to think that Romo with his arm talent and better coaching wouldn't have had a lot more success in New Orleans.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Romo's numbers are better than Brees's prior to Sean Payton. There is no reason to think that Romo with his arm talent and better coaching wouldn't have had a lot more success in New Orleans.

That's a good point.

Brees did have one year (11 starts) where he had a 104.8 rating), but one reason San Diego went another route is because he didn't post great stats as a starter. He had a 76.9 rating his first year as a starter, a 67.5 his second year and an 89.2 his fourth year starting. It's hard to know if Romo would have received a bump in playing level from playing for Payton instead of mostly in Garrett's scheme.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I’m sure this thread will launch a dozen pages of dumb hot takes. There is no way to know what would have happened. Everything would have been different. Drew Brees is great. Tony was great. There was very little on the field difference between the quality of their play, when you remove the fact that the Saints never ran the ball and Brees threw a million short passes as a way to get RBs the ball. Their key numbers including passer rating and yards per attempt are almost identical.
Drew Brees has played 18 seasons and was lucky enough to win the Super Bowl one time, ironically in the season where he had his most modest numbers and less was needed from him. There isn’t any reason to think a number of other QBs couldn’t get lucky 1 in 18 times either.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Imo Romo couldn't have gotten far on any team without choking. That's just what he was when he got anywhere close to the important games.

Good lord this is a silly post.
Just really, REALLY idiotic short bus stuff.

Not calling YOU an idiot...but that post is idiotic beyond belief

I agree about Brees being better than Romo, but that choke stuff is just moronic.
No way to know if he would've won one in NO...they too had some horrific defenses and Brees has only managed to get one....so I can see an argument against.

BTW...now that I recall...are you the same poster strongly argued that Romo had a slow release and couldn't read defenses? It was either you or one other guy that I'm thinking of.
If so, that kind of disqualifies you on any QB discussions :D

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Romo just need a better scheme, qb coach, offensive line,head coach, offensive coordinator and running back. :)

John813

Reaction score
Never knew that, I was like 12 or 13 at the time. Hilarious tidbit.

I hope Brees writes a book when he hangs it up. He has a legitimate case for the GOAT, but is rarely put in those conversations.

Yup.

Dolphins weren't convinced his shoulder would ever be the same, so they went with the guy coming off a major knee injury. Gave up a 2nd too in the process.

Same team that gave up a 2nd for AJ Feeley two years prior.

irishline

Reaction score
Romo was stellar between 2007 and 2014 but Brees was better.

Trade Garrett for Romo and Payton for Brees and see what that statement looks like. I guarantee stellar would not be the first adjective.

Just as we say this coaching staff isn't helping Dak, it was the same head coach that Romo had. Romo may not have been at Brees' level but he would not have been far off with Payton in charge of his development those years, truth is we will never know.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a good point.

Brees did have one year (11 starts) where he had a 104.8 rating), but one reason San Diego went another route is because he didn't post great stats as a starter. He had a 76.9 rating his first year as a starter, a 67.5 his second year and an 89.2 his fourth year starting. It's hard to know if Romo would have received a bump in playing level from playing for Payton instead of mostly in Garrett's scheme.

He also had that shoulder injury and there was uncertainty about his durability at that time.

Here's a thought experiment: imagine Phillip Rivers with Sean Payton. I think Rivers is one of the most underrated Qb's in NFL history b/c of where he plays and the general mess of that organization. He is very bit as good as Big Ben and Brees. ........ Eli in his prime.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Sean Payton >>> garrot. There is no doubt about it to me that Romo would have won a ring in NO. I almost wish that it had happened. I've said it many many times that if Romo had played for any other team he would have been much more appreciated. Romo made garrot's mediocre offense more than adequate (with a lot of audibles and scrambling for his life). You ever wonder why garrot didn't get angry with Romo for audibling out of his called play?? Landry got really upset with Staubach for doing it...

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

False