Flashback: New Orleans tries to trade for Romo

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
lmao, so you can't do it?

And FYI, I am not a "Romo lover". I do, however, dislike the agendas pushed by people who know little to nothing about football regarding Romo, and then cannot back it up, like you in this situation. Fortunately, those people are becoming a smaller and smaller group.
I can help out here.

First, the biggest game Romo played in according to him was a preseason game that allowed him to continue being on the team early in his career.

After that, the biggest games he played in were divisional round games. He never really played in a truly "big" game like the NFC Championship game or Super Bowl and he only made the playoffs 4 times so there really isn't much of a sample size to draw from. I think that is why we use "elimination" games with Romo because he actually had 3 games where he was the starter in which week 17 turned out to essentially be the NFC East Championship game where the winner advanced to the playoffs and the loser's season was over.

Romo's record in "elimination" games is pretty bad at 2-7. That is 2-4 in playoffs and 0-3 in week 17 "play in" games.

Out of those 9 games, we won 2 (Philly 2009 & Detroit 2014), got blown out in 3 (Philly 2008, Minn 2009, NY 2011), and had 4 close losses (Seattle 2006, NY 2007, Washington 2012, and GB 2014).

Of Romo's "big" games our offense had the ball with an opportunity to tie or win the game in 5 games, listed below:

2006 Seattle - drove the field and bobbled FG snap.
2007 NY - drove the field and game ended in 4th down interception
2012 Washington - threw interception on first play
2014 Detroit - threw game winning TD
2014 GB - Dez Bryant catch/no catch

So we had an opportunity to tie/win game late in the 4th quarter 5 times and came through once in our elimination games. Sure there are reasons/excuses like ball was wet, QB shouldn't be holding, Crayton stopped, the officials got the call wrong, etc but the fact remains there were 5 opportunities and 1 time we capitalized. That is a 20% success rate.

Sure there are some game winning drives against a 3-13 Commanders team that was impressive and other blunders like fumbling near the goal line and throwing an interception setting up a GW FG in the 4th quarter against the Jets in a week 1 match up that we can go back and forth on but I just wanted to concentrate on what Romo's big games were and how we ended the close games.

Call them choking, come up with reasons why it was others faults or whatever, but there were opportunities for the team to be more successful that weren't taken advantage of.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Know little to nothing? Bro I was there when Romo dropped the snap in Seattle! I seen aikman and emmitt retire. I suffered thru three 5-11 seasons and the Dave campo era.

You cant tell me **** about Romo lol.
I know that was for someone else, but the dropped special teams snap was not a QB play (which is the discussion) and the very worst the team ever did with Romo starting the majority of the year was 8-8.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He also had that shoulder injury and there was uncertainty about his durability at that time.

Here's a thought experiment: imagine Phillip Rivers with Sean Payton. I think Rivers is one of the most underrated Qb's in NFL history b/c of where he plays and the general mess of that organization. He is very bit as good as Big Ben and Brees. ........ Eli in his prime.

When was Eli's prime? He's been mediocre his entire career.

JustChip

Reaction score
I can help out here.

First, the biggest game Romo played in according to him was a preseason game that allowed him to continue being on the team early in his career.

After that, the biggest games he played in were divisional round games. He never really played in a truly "big" game like the NFC Championship game or Super Bowl and he only made the playoffs 4 times so there really isn't much of a sample size to draw from. I think that is why we use "elimination" games with Romo because he actually had 3 games where he was the starter in which week 17 turned out to essentially be the NFC East Championship game where the winner advanced to the playoffs and the loser's season was over.

Romo's record in "elimination" games is pretty bad at 2-7. That is 2-4 in playoffs and 0-3 in week 17 "play in" games.

Out of those 9 games, we won 2 (Philly 2009 & Detroit 2014), got blown out in 3 (Philly 2008, Minn 2009, NY 2011), and had 4 close losses (Seattle 2006, NY 2007, Washington 2012, and GB 2014).

Of Romo's "big" games our offense had the ball with an opportunity to tie or win the game in 5 games, listed below:

2006 Seattle - drove the field and bobbled FG snap.
2007 NY - drove the field and game ended in 4th down interception
2012 Washington - threw interception on first play
2014 Detroit - threw game winning TD
2014 GB - Dez Bryant catch/no catch

So we had an opportunity to tie/win game late in the 4th quarter 5 times and came through once in our elimination games. Sure there are reasons/excuses like ball was wet, QB shouldn't be holding, Crayton stopped, the officials got the call wrong, etc but the fact remains there were 5 opportunities and 1 time we capitalized. That is a 20% success rate.

Sure there are some game winning drives against a 3-13 Commanders team that was impressive and other blunders like fumbling near the goal line and throwing an interception setting up a GW FG in the 4th quarter against the Jets in a week 1 match up that we can go back and forth on but I just wanted to concentrate on what Romo's big games were and how we ended the close games.

Call them choking, come up with reasons why it was others faults or whatever, but there were opportunities for the team to be more successful that weren't taken advantage of.

Good post. It's a team game and Romo was a part of every failure and every success by the team. How much a part of each can be debated, but what can't be debated is the record. Romo's fault, not Romo's fault, nobody's fault, the record is the record and he has to share his part of responsibility for that.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I know that was for someone else, but the dropped special teams snap was not a QB play (which is the discussion) and the very worst the team ever did with Romo starting the majority of the year was 8-8.

It had nothing to do with the snap. It's just saying I was there for the beginning of Romo til the vary end. I've been through all of his ups and downs.

You cant tell any fan who has seen a players whole career what he was beyond what he really was.

Was Romo a decent QB? Yes. Was he great? No.

Romo was an up and down player with decent stats who never won anything important besides a couple NFC east divisional accomplishments.

Alot of these new gen fans may try to get one over on others with all of that Romo was great jazz, but they cant get one over on a road warrior who has broken his fair share of TV's in the romo era.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It had nothing to do with the snap. It's just saying I was there for the beginning of Romo til the vary end. I've been through all of his ups and downs.

You cant tell any fan who has seen a players whole career what he was beyond what he really was.

Romo was an up and down player with decent stats who never won anything important besides a couple NFC east divisional accomplishments.

Alot of these new gen fans may try to get one over on others with all of that Romo was great jazz, but they cant get one over on a road warrior who has broken his fair share of TV's in the romo era.
Hey, I've seen it all too.
I feel (and felt) your pain.
Just think you underrate the player.

Can't say I've ever been in the camp that put him with the absolute top guys, but I think he was very, very good....and maybe the very least reason we didn't win a title during his tenure.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
HP0jg1L.jpg

Brooksey

Reaction score

Romo was great. Defense wins championships and we never had that for him. Eli Manning has Two Super bowl MVP's and both times he had the top defense. Romo much better then Eli, IMO.

foofighters

Reaction score
Imo Romo couldn't have gotten far on any team without choking. That's just what he was when he got anywhere close to the important games.

Cmon, an NFC championship game or greater!? Noway.

And then he was nowhere smarter than brees or nowhere a better passer.

Would have been a waste for the saints.
I wonder where Romo ranks with 4Q comebacks? He might be better than a certain QB in the NE. But none of those games were important...

aikemirv

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think they would have won it.

Romo was great, but I think many are making him better than what he was at times. He still had many bad plays that hurt the team.
As well as all the injuries.
Blah blah blah, did you watch Ben yesterday. That was worse than anything Romo ever did in the 4th qtr.

I am so sick of this nonsense. EVERY QB has picks in the 4th - Romo's record show that he was a LOT better than most - It is supported by fact, no ESPN agenda!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Romo was great. Defense wins championships and we never had that for him. Eli Manning has Two Super bowl MVP's and both times he had the top defense. Romo much better then Eli, IMO.

Eli also made clutch throws in order to win those SB's, as did Flacco for his ravens. If you believe those QB's didnt have to put in a little labor in order to contribute to those defensive teams just to pull off a SB win you are seriously delusional.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Imo Romo couldn't have gotten far on any team without choking. That's just what he was when he got anywhere close to the important games.

Cmon, an NFC championship game or greater!? Noway.

And then he was nowhere smarter than brees or nowhere a better passer.

Would have been a waste for the saints.

too-silly-meme.jpg