Flashback: New Orleans tries to trade for Romo

jrumann59

Reaction score
He also had that shoulder injury and there was uncertainty about his durability at that time.

Here's a thought experiment: imagine Phillip Rivers with Sean Payton. I think Rivers is one of the most underrated Qb's in NFL history b/c of where he plays and the general mess of that organization. He is very bit as good as Big Ben and Brees. ........ Eli in his prime.

Disagree, While Romo with no pedigree was getting lambasted for choking, Rivers a 1st round QB has gotten mostly a pass his whole career.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Good lord this is a silly post.
Just really, REALLY idiotic short bus stuff.

Not calling YOU an idiot...but that post is idiotic beyond belief

I agree about Brees being better than Romo, but that choke stuff is just moronic.
No way to know if he would've won one in NO...they too had some horrific defenses and Brees has only managed to get one....so I can see an argument against.

BTW...now that I recall...are you the same poster strongly argued that Romo had a slow release and couldn't read defenses? It was either you or one other guy that I'm thinking of.
If so, that kind of disqualifies you on any QB discussions :D

It's funny how Romo can read defenses really good from the booth and all of a sudden people think he was that smart on the field in match!

If Romo was really that good on the field he would have won mor than 2 playoff games and maybe more.

You know why some coordinators call games from up top? Because they are no good down bottom!

Just saying.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's funny how Romo can read defenses really good from the booth and all of a sudden people think he was that smart on the field in match!

If Romo was really that good on the field he would have won mor than 2 playoff games and maybe more.

You know why some coordinators call games from up top? Because they are no good down bottom!

Just saying.
Ah...so you were the guy who said Romo had a slow release and couldn't read defenses well.

:lmao2:
Just...
wow

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we signed Bledsoe the offseason that the Saints signed Breese.

Regardless... Romo was the man. He was just asked to do too much here.

Breese was lucky to have a coach like Payton with him or he would probably have had a Romo type career or he would've been out of the league a long time ago.

RD21

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, it was Payton that "found" Romo, & got him on the Cowboys roster to begin with.

I believe Romo would've had a great career as a Saint with Sean Payton as coach. He's a way better coach than Romo has had since Parcells left. I believe he'd have a ring, & possibly still be slinging it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree, While Romo with no pedigree was getting lambasted for choking, Rivers a 1st round QB has gotten mostly a pass his whole career.

Thats b/c anyone that knows football knows he's not the problem with the Chargers. Same with Romo. The ignorant "lambasted" him simply b/c he's the most visible cowboy and they don't know enough football to point to anything else.

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

Just saying.

Name Romo’s “chokes” in game winning drives during big games, that you claim are so abundant, and then I will name his successful game winning drives in big games. C’mon, do it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He also had that shoulder injury and there was uncertainty about his durability at that time.

Here's a thought experiment: imagine Phillip Rivers with Sean Payton. I think Rivers is one of the most underrated Qb's in NFL history b/c of where he plays and the general mess of that organization. He is very bit as good as Big Ben and Brees. ........ Eli in his prime.

Rivers had some pretty good fluctuations in his career, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's had some years where he was definitely good enough if his team had been. There are a few quarterbacks who can be put into that category.

Take a player like Colin Kaepernick. He's a clear notch (if not multiple notches) below several of the quarterbacks who do not have a ring, but he still made it to the Super Bowl because of being in the right place at the right time and almost made it back the next season.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Name Romo’s “chokes” in game winning drives during big games, that you claim are so abundant, and then I will name his successful game winning drives in big games. C’mon, do it.

I must have hit a nerve with the Romo lovers. You guys are starting to come out in droves. It's not even worth arguing you all stubborn individuals.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They can't do it. Most of the haters are so blinded by their own opinions on him that they don't realize Romo had more 4th qaurter comebacks than Captain Comeback himself, Roger Staubach. Romo's 4th quarter QBR is top 2 all-time.......it was #1 while he played but I think Rodgers eclipsed him.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/tony-romo-clutch-4th-quarter-comebacks-game-winning-drives-stats

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I must have hit a nerve with the Romo lovers. You guys are starting to come out in droves. It's not even worth arguing you all stubborn individuals.

lmao, so you can't do it?

And FYI, I am not a "Romo lover". I do, however, dislike the agendas pushed by people who know little to nothing about football regarding Romo, and then cannot back it up, like you in this situation. Fortunately, those people are becoming a smaller and smaller group.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

Rivers and Romo are only considered chokers because they didn't/haven't won a Super Bowl. That's it. In reality they're two of the best QBs who have played football over the past 20 years.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’m sure this thread will launch a dozen pages of dumb hot takes. There is no way to know what would have happened. Everything would have been different. Drew Brees is great. Tony was great. There was very little on the field difference between the quality of their play, when you remove the fact that the Saints never ran the ball and Brees threw a million short passes as a way to get RBs the ball. Their key numbers including passer rating and yards per attempt are almost identical.
Drew Brees has played 18 seasons and was lucky enough to win the Super Bowl one time, ironically in the season where he had his most modest numbers and less was needed from him. There isn’t any reason to think a number of other QBs couldn’t get lucky 1 in 18 times either.

I agree that there's no way of knowing. I just find it interesting to read what others think about it.

Some get their panties in a wad any time there is a thread about our former quarterback, as if it is some kind of affront to our current quarterback. I believe that we should enjoy all things Cowboy, even if it's discussing a what-if like this.

I do agree that longevity certainly does give good quarterbacks a better chance of getting "lucky." We've seen some lesser quarterbacks than either Brees or Romo end up with rings over the years, so a big part of it is just circumstances. Some quarterbacks end up in the right ones and some don't.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Good lord this is a silly post.
Just really, REALLY idiotic short bus stuff.

Not calling YOU an idiot...but that post is idiotic beyond belief

I agree about Brees being better than Romo, but that choke stuff is just moronic.
No way to know if he would've won one in NO...they too had some horrific defenses and Brees has only managed to get one....so I can see an argument against.

BTW...now that I recall...are you the same poster strongly argued that Romo had a slow release and couldn't read defenses? It was either you or one other guy that I'm thinking of.
If so, that kind of disqualifies you on any QB discussions :D

Well you have to admit Romo had his share of disastrous plays and turnovers. There's a reason Parcells was leery of starting him early and called him a gunslinger. Romo could make some incredible plays, especially when he was able to extend them and buy time. But he was just as likel.y to nullify it with a costly interception or fumble. Four out of five years we had win or go home games at the end of the season and he routinely came up small.

But in his defense in the 4 years he did make the playoffs he wasn't a primary reason we lost, unless you want to pin the Seattle botched FG attempt on him. Also he he didn't have much of an OL most of his career and it was one of the worst in lthe league a few years. Once we finally built an OL and a balance running game, it was later in his career and then came his injuries.

Overall he was a good QB and on a flawed team. And after the first year when he became the starter in the middle of the season he never had a decent HC. Some of the criticism is deserved, but at the same time it would've been nice to see what he could've done if he had the great OL and running game earlier in his career with a quality HC.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
lmao, so you can't do it?

And FYI, I am not a "Romo lover". I do, however, dislike the agendas pushed by people who know little to nothing about football regarding Romo, and then cannot back it up, like you in this situation. Fortunately, those people are becoming a smaller and smaller group.

Know little to nothing? Bro I was there when Romo dropped the snap in Seattle! I seen aikman and emmitt retire. I suffered thru three 5-11 seasons and the Dave campo era.

You cant tell me **** about Romo lol.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rivers had some pretty good fluctuations in his career, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's had some years where he was definitely good enough if his team had been. There are a few quarterbacks who can be put into that category.

Take a player like Colin Kaepernick. He's a clear notch (if not multiple notches) below several of the quarterbacks who do not have a ring, but he still made it to the Super Bowl because of being in the right place at the right time and almost made it back the next season.

Kap and Rivers aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of QB's. Kap had success for a half season when the 49ers changed from Alex Smith. He had success b/c nobody had tape on him or knew how to best defend him. That got corrected real fast.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Kap and Rivers aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of QB's. Kap had success for a half season when the 49ers changed from Alex Smith. He had success b/c nobody had tape on him or knew how to best defend him. That got corrected real fast.

I agree. That's why I used him as an example of a quarterback who ended up in the right circumstances at the right time. There are plenty others, including ones who won, who fit that description: Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Phil Simms, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Joe Flacco. Some of those got hot and contributed to their team's success at the right time, but part of the reason they got hot was the players around them. Team success breeds individual success.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Know little to nothing? Bro I was there when Romo dropped the snap in Seattle! I seen aikman and emmitt retire. I suffered thru three 5-11 seasons and the Dave campo era.

You cant tell me **** about Romo lol.

You were there all those years and still don’t know what you’re talking about. That really is impressive.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Never knew that, I was like 12 or 13 at the time. Hilarious tidbit.

I hope Brees writes a book when he hangs it up. He has a legitimate case for the GOAT, but is rarely put in those conversations.

Brees has already written a book ... co-wrote, actually. It tells all about his journey from the beginning through the Super bowl victory. It is a great read.

51ifvGUt2aL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg