Fletcher Cox threw a punch at Zack Martin

CoachD

Reaction score
He cut him, clearly taking him out by hitting his lower body. As I just told someone, chop block was the wrong word to use since it is legally defined as cutting a defender while he's engaged by another offensive player.

I gotta disagree especially coming from someone who was king of the chop block back in the 80's so trust me this wasn't!

CoachD

Reaction score
Bullies don't like being bullied. Cox was being violated and responded like a dirt bag.

Cox is bad news too and usually has good games against Martin but this was by far Martin's best game ever against Cox! Martin is still the best guard in the league and he's not even at 100%! All I have to say is thank God Jerry go overruled when he wanted to draft Manziel and the Cowboys decided to go with Martin!

Dallasfann

Reaction score
lol. Cox didn’t sucker punch me so I never thought it was a big deal. Happens every game. For decades.

People do not punch other people as a sign of affection. So it was you, not Cox, who got my attention describing a sucker punch as not malicious. Strange logic. Kinda like thinking boxers and MMA fighters getting into slugfests because they are really REALLY fond of their opponent. Wild. :laugh:

When did I say it wasn't malicious? I'll wait patiently.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
A chop block is one that's supposed to be at the knees. Martin blocked Cox in the hip area when Cox responded with a punch to his helmet area.

That's a no-no. Realistically, though, punching a guy who has a helmet and facemask is pretty much done in vain. Not too healthy for the hand! ;)

I look at it more like if someone jumps out of a closet and scares you and you throw a punch at them out of a instant reaction, you will probably regret doing it 5 seconds after. Either way. I just don't find it to be as big of a deal as most. Shoot me.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I look at it more like if someone jumps out of a closet and scares you and you throw a punch at them out of a instant reaction, you will probably regret doing it 5 seconds after. Either way. I just don't find it to be as big of a deal as most. Shoot me.
Welcome back!! Salud!!

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Welcome back!! Salud!!

Hi! Worth every second. Kind of bummed with the way you responded to me asking you a question. Did you not like my avatar? You are the one that encouraged me to get a better one. Then I do it and you run and tell mommy and daddy! I will do better at not hurting your feelings. I don't like to see my lil guy upset!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hi! Worth every second. Kind of bummed with the way you responded to me asking you a question. Did you not like my avatar? You are the one that encouraged me to get a better one. Then I do it and you run and tell mommy and daddy! I will do better at not hurting your feelings. I don't like to see my lil guy upset!
I'm a big dude, but I'm sensitive!! Lol! No hard feeling bro!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW. Being an ex head coach, I can take a lot of crap, but for some reason, flipping me the bird pisses me off. I've broken three fingers and a wrist over the years.... Oh, well. Just a pet peeve.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
BTW. Being an ex head coach, I can take a lot of crap, but for some reason, flipping me the bird pisses me off. I've broken three fingers and a wrist over the years.... Oh, well. Just a pet peeve.

What I want to see in person. Is you meeting Jason Garrett and him flipping you off. Could you imagine! :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Dallasfann, Yesterday at 12:00 PM

I apologize. You described the hit "not as malicious" as others, who simply see a sucker punch as malicious without including any shades of grey that are not there.

Steven liked the burger but not as much as Lauri.

DallasFann thought the hit was malicious but not as much as DallasEast.

Malicious means to do harm or intend to harm. I don't think he was trying to harm Zach as much as you. Hell, I'm willing to bet Cox could swing at Zach way harder then he did.

I don't see the big deal in that. I'm sure there are a lot of things in this world that offend me more then they do you.

JBond

Reaction score
More like the lower thigh, close to the knee..
It looked low initially to me too. Re-watching it, it was a very clean block around hip level. Little upper thigh. Obviously legal, but also clean. Not a dirty shot at the knees.

Last edited:

JBond

Reaction score
He cut him, clearly taking him out by hitting his lower body. As I just told someone, chop block was the wrong word to use since it is legally defined as cutting a defender while he's engaged by another offensive player.
Enjoy chatting with you, but you are wrong on this one. Low hip/high thigh is not dirty. He was pissed because he was knocked back. He was ineffective for the majority of the game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Lol -- thanks but I'm not prone to shooting innocent fans for their opinions. It likely hurt his hand more than it hurt Martin's head. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steven liked the burger but not as much as Lauri.

DallasFann thought the hit was malicious but not as much as DallasEast.

Malicious means to do harm or intend to harm. I don't think he was trying to harm Zach as much as you. Hell, I'm willing to bet Cox could swing at Zach way harder then he did.

I don't see the big deal in that. I'm sure there are a lot of things in this world that offend me more then they do you.
Shifting goalposts never kept an argument on a straight path.

Whether conscious or instinctive, any sucker punch is malicious. Someone decides and then punches you dead in the mouth, they tell you 'My bad my brother', and you respond with 'It's okay I know you didn't mean it'.

Perhaps you meant to say the hit did not look that vicious? It was not. Whatever. This was old before I logged back on. You may have the final word if you so choose. :)