Florio makes my point about contracts/QB Salary Cap?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Mike Florio was discussing the fact it is said owners are discussing the possibility of a QB salary cap. I find that to be quite interesting, but he went on to discuss Josh Allens deal that will pay him 45 million this year..... or the deal avgs 45 million. Anyways, he was saying how Allen is vastly "Underpaid." Huh???? Dude signed a 6 year extension and had something like 150 million guaranteed. He signed the deal. His agent j knew it was a 6 year deal which they had to know 3 years down the road his deal would be small compared to some others. In any event, it appears Allen is signed through 2028... and yet Florio is already calling for Allen to go back to the Bills to basically say.... hey yo, you know that 1/4 billion dollar deal I signed a couple years ago? well, its time to up the ante.

That is total BS IMo. 4 more years remaining on his deal and the Bills are supposed to redo the deal? Funny how I just wrote about this very thing and what a joke these contracts are when players want to just redo a "Contract," as soon as others pass their deal up.

Hold firm Bills, hold firm.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mike Florio was discussing the fact it is said owners are discussing the possibility of a QB salary cap. I find that to be quite interesting, but he went on to discuss Josh Allens deal that will pay him 45 million this year..... or the deal avgs 45 million. Anyways, he was saying how Allen is vastly "Underpaid." Huh???? Dude signed a 6 year extension and had something like 150 million guaranteed. He signed the deal. His agent j knew it was a 6 year deal which they had to know 3 years down the road his deal would be small compared to some others. In any event, it appears Allen is signed through 2028... and yet Florio is already calling for Allen to go back to the Bills to basically say.... hey yo, you know that 1/4 billion dollar deal I signed a couple years ago? well, its time to up the ante.

That is total BS IMo. 4 more years remaining on his deal and the Bills are supposed to redo the deal? Funny how I just wrote about this very thing and what a joke these contracts are when players want to just redo a "Contract," as soon as others pass their deal up.

Well GM's and Owners can cut players/trade players who have a contract correct? So if a player wants to go basically on strike for a new deal or a new team why not? These are not 100% guaranteed contracts like MLB.

If a team can trade a player, maybe the player should be able to trade the team.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Well GM's and Owners can cut players/trade players who have a contract correct? So if a player wants to go basically on strike for a new deal or a new team why not? These are not 100% guaranteed contracts like MLB.

If a team can trade a player, maybe the player should be able to trade the team.
Help me out here with a couple of things.

Unless a player has a no trade clause, does the CONTRACT allow teams to trade players?
When teams cut a player, is that allowed per the CBA and the contract agreed to by both parties?

Does a player under contract have a right to not show up for work under the terms of the contract he signed? Or does the contract specifically state amounts a player will be fined when they dont show up for work?

Hey, if a player can have it added into their contract that they can work out a deal to change teams at any time during their contract, more power to them. Until them, your statement is ridiculous.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Florio? Really? Don’t listen to those types. It ends up with posts like this.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Help me out here with a couple of things.

Unless a player has a no trade clause, does the CONTRACT allow teams to trade players?
When teams cut a player, is that allowed per the CBA and the contract agreed to by both parties?

Does a player under contract have a right to not show up for work under the terms of the contract he signed? Or does the contract specifically state amounts a player will be fined when they dont show up for work?

Hey, if a player can have it added into their contract that they can work out a deal to change teams at any time during their contract, more power to them. Until them, your statement is ridiculous.
Watch what Aiyuk is doing. He is saying pay me or trade me. It does not need to be in the contract. Yes, they can fine him.

Fortunately for the Niners they are in a position to still win games without him. We are not in that situation. They drafted a WR in round one, knowing Aiyuk was going to be a problem.

We don't even have cap space to pick up a mid range WR if CD holds out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im all for Caps on QB’s and all positions.

But contracts can be renegotiated. Owners always have a choice. They can stand firm if they’re willing for the player to sit out or eventually leave.

In the end it’s only a handful of the most Elite players who attempt this.

In the end if you’re a sound businessman do you cut your nose off in spite of your face?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Florio? Really? Don’t listen to those types. It ends up with posts like this.
Fans listen to those whose opinions aligns with theirs.

Some fans believe once these players sign contracts they should remain in shackles.

What they forget is these players often sign longer term contracts to help the team with the Cap. And those contracts can become outdated before their maturity.

I promise you Mahomes will be looking to renegotiate his 10 year deal before it matures which was done to help Cap and spread what was then biggest deal.

But if he waits 10 years he’ll be one of the lowest paid Franchise QB’s . Surely fans don’t believe this should be the case.

lkelly

Reaction score
When the normal daily sources of outrage aren't working, make sure to go read PFT and get all bent out of shape about the Buffalo salary cap situation in a few years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is reason Dak was intent on a 4 year contract because he knew that the revenue was expected to increase significantly and his contract would be outdated. He also had the no trade clause .

Some players do more team friendly deals like Mahomes 10 year deal or Allen’s 6 year deal.

And they do that to help the teams manage Cap. I’d argue if their performance is still near the top of the league they should be able to renegotiate in order for their salary to be similar to their pecking order.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is reason Dak was intent on a 4 year contract because he knew that the revenue was expected to increase significantly and his contract would be outdated. He also had the no trade clause .

Some players do more team friendly deals like Mahomes 10 year deal or Allen’s 6 year deal.

And they do that to help the teams manage Cap. I’d argue if their performance is still near the top of the league they should be able to renegotiate in order for their salary to be similar to their pecking order.
If the Cowboys would’ve signed Dak when he had 2 years left on his deal he too would’ve had 6 years. They keep waiting to the absolute last minute to sign him.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

They can’t cut a player if it violates the collective bargaining agreement. And cutting a player does not mean the team doesn’t have to pay what is guaranteed in the player’s contract. (see Russell Wilson). Owners are not allowed to dismiss the rules and contracts they’ve agreed to, the same should be expected of players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They can’t cut a player if it violates the collective bargaining agreement. And cutting a player does not mean the team doesn’t have to pay what is guaranteed in the player’s contract. (see Russell Wilson). Owners are not allowed to dismiss the rules and contracts they’ve agreed to, the same should be expected of players.
The same is expected of the players. The owners don’t have to pay them if they sit out.

Only the most Elite players have the clout to ask for renegotiations . Their power only rest on the fact the teams don’t want to play without them.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I never said anything about dismissing the rules. Did Gallup get cut? Yes he did.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Fans listen to those whose opinions aligns with theirs.

Some fans believe once these players sign contracts they should remain in shackles.

What they forget is these players often sign longer term contracts to help the team with the Cap. And those contracts can become outdated before their maturity.

I promise you Mahomes will be looking to renegotiate his 10 year deal before it matures which was done to help Cap and spread what was then biggest deal.

But if he waits 10 years he’ll be one of the lowest paid Franchise QB’s . Surely fans don’t believe this should be the case.
Mahomes is a different animal. He’ll be making millions long after his career is over.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You are stating your opinions only as Dak hasn’t been extended yet so jump off your high horse.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Never had much respect for Florio and there is a reason his rag is called the Daily Turd.

that said, anyone talking about being underpaid when they have gotten $150 million can kiss my butt