FO needs to reassess any hints it made to Dalton about leading this team

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was envisioning a LeVeon Bell situation but I agree with what you said.

Bell wanted out of Pittsburgh. He made some negative comments about Rothlisberger and the organization. He talked about how Ben was above everyone. Bell threw away $14 million that he would have been paid under the franchise tag that he never got back and he never got the kind of deal he was looking for in free agency. Dak would have to be crazy to throw away more than twice the amount Bell did and give Dalton an opportunity to shine as the starter with all the weapons the Cowboys have on offense. It would be an absolute foolish move on his part and I don’t see it happening. It would be the worst career move an NFL player has ever made in my opinion.

If reports are accurate he’s already been offered to be the highest paid player in the league. If true he must be receiving some terrible advice not want to sign. Even if he plays on the tag he’s risking the Cowboys moving on from him after this season if he were to have a down season. There’s a risk on both sides if a contract agreement isn’t reached by July 15. If Dak plays great this season his demands will go up and if he doesn’t play well, it could be goodbye!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
he can get franchised again or he can wait and renegotiate next year or the cowboys decide to part ways and he makes more money else where.....right now the cowboys are in a bind......Dalton is not the long term answer. DiNucci is a real long shot and there aren't any other options that leads to championship

Either Dak or the Cowboys could end up in a bind if he plays under the tag. If Dak plays great under the tag he’s going to become even more expensive next year. If he doesn’t play very good the Cowboys might decide to move on because it’s going to cost something like 38 million for Dak to play under the tag next year. If he doesn’t play well other teams may not want to pay what the Cowboys are reportedly offering now. Kirk Cousins is the only QB I can think of off the top of my head that played on a franchise tag and Washington eventually allowed him to walk. Washington wasn’t offering him near the kind of money that Dak is reportedly being offered. What Cousins got from Minnesota isn’t as much as what Dak is reportedly being offered. If I was in Dak’s corner we’re agreeing to a deal by July 15.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Either Dak or the Cowboys could end up in a bind if he plays under the tag. If Dak plays great under the tag he’s going to become even more expensive next year. If he doesn’t play very good the Cowboys might decide to move on because it’s going to cost something like 38 million for Dak to play under the tag next year. If he doesn’t play well other teams may not want to pay what the Cowboys are reportedly offering now. Kirk Cousins is the only QB I can think of off the top of my head that played on a franchise tag and Washington eventually allowed him to walk. Washington wasn’t offering him near the kind of money that Dak is reportedly being offered. What Cousins got from Minnesota isn’t as much as what Dak is reportedly being offered. If I was in Dak’s corner we’re agreeing to a deal by July 15.
yes, there is inherent risk for both sides. Dak didn't sign a deal last year, betting on himself. he is making more. he is doing it again, betting on himself.....

I lived in washington so heard the cousins drama everyday......Cousins played 2 years under the tag. they couldn't come to agreement on a deal and Washington ended up paying more on the franchise tag than the original guaranteed money he was asking for on a 4 year deal.

Cousins got 33M/year from minn.....so Dak is not asking for much more. furthermore, cousins I believe got a 2 year deal,where as Dak's is a 4 year deal, meaning Cousins will get to FA sooner than later, which is what they want..... I believe Dak may settle for less if cowboys would want to offer a 3 year deal, but I don't think the cowboys want that....

.if I was Dak, I would hold strong on my 4 year deal demand and go to next year as a FA again and bet on myself this year.....its either another Tag for about 38 mill as you said, which is going to average to the $35 over two years, except now I am a FA or I get to sign with another team on a larger deal....

now if Mahomes gets his extension it will only push the market upwards. I am not saying Dak is Mahomes, so don't read that into it, but if Mahomes gets somewhere in the 40-45 range, then QB market moves to the 38-42 mill range for the rest of the top 10 like QBs....in 2021 and beyond....is the way the market works

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never watched it.
I see you did, though. Well done, then!
Poor logic. Lots of thinks I’m aware of that I don’t watch on TV, besides, you just showed you were aware of who is is, just like I did,

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
.if I was Dak, I would hold strong on my 4 year deal demand and go to next year as a FA again and bet on myself this year.....its either another Tag for about 38 mill as you said, which is going to average to the $35 over two years, except now I am a FA or I get to sign with another team on a larger deal....

If I was Dak and the reports he’s been offered to be the highest paid player in the league are accurate I wouldn’t continue to bet on myself. Especially if playing for the Cowboys means anything to him. Even if he plays respectably this season, if his performance doesn’t lead to wins and a playoff berth the team could decide to move on. The franchise tag going up to $38 million next season is a sizable increase that the Cowboys might not want to pay if his 2020 performance doesn’t lead to team success. If I’m playing for a team that I want to play for and have a contract on the table that would make me the highest paid player in the league, I’m signing it.

It’s not like Andy Dalton isn’t capable of winning some games with the talent that we have and Dak has to consider that. He could go out this season and suffer a serious injury to his throwing elbow or shoulder. I’m sure he’s insured but his value would go way down if it’s an injury that could jeopardize his performance and career. McCarthy inherited Dak and if he doesn’t like what he sees this season with him that could have a big influence on what Jerry and Stephen decide to do.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Poor logic. Lots of thinks I’m aware of that I don’t watch on TV, besides, you just showed you were aware of who is is, just like I did,

Again. Never watched it. But you being up on pop culture, good for you!

But review your post. I haven't heard he slightest inkling of most of what you wrote, little pal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again. Never watched it. But you being up on pop culture, good for you!

But review your post. I haven't heard he slightest inkling of most of what you wrote, little pal.
Your logic is seriously flawed. Of course, the foundation of this thread proved that.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I did not mean to scare you, Willis!
I have to envision the future.
... Don't take that trip to Corsicana. Don't approach her, she will laugh at us both.
Blimey, all that bad Dak stuff, could make a Bloke crazy. No, that's go down to the Rose and Crown and have a few pints and check out the birds.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If I was Dak and the reports he’s been offered to be the highest paid player in the league are accurate I wouldn’t continue to bet on myself. Especially if playing for the Cowboys means anything to him. Even if he plays respectably this season, if his performance doesn’t lead to wins and a playoff berth the team could decide to move on. The franchise tag going up to $38 million next season is a sizable increase that the Cowboys might not want to pay if his 2020 performance doesn’t lead to team success. If I’m playing for a team that I want to play for and have a contract on the table that would make me the highest paid player in the league, I’m signing it.

It’s not like Andy Dalton isn’t capable of winning some games with the talent that we have and Dak has to consider that. He could go out this season and suffer a serious injury to his throwing elbow or shoulder. I’m sure he’s insured but his value would go way down if it’s an injury that could jeopardize his performance and career. McCarthy inherited Dak and if he doesn’t like what he sees this season with him that could have a big influence on what Jerry and Stephen decide to do.
you wouldn't continue to bet on yourself? then you have no confidence in yourself. then you wouldn't be negotiating like this to begin with.....that's the point, last year he bet on himself and he came out better, and again he is betting on himself. your statement is only what you wish he would do and your dislike of him, expecting him to fall apart and be exposed or something to that effect....

and cowboys know about franchise tag implications....how do you know cowboys wouldn't want to pay $38M? you have no idea, but again, it sounds like you wish/want them not to pay....

and keep in mind, this largest contract, comparing to other players, etc. matters to fans, such as yourself....he is looking at it from his perspective, what the market bears, how much he can negotiate for etc. any player would demand the highest value they can ask for, and expect to realistically be paid that...he didn't ask for $40M, because that would have been a none starter, but given the news, they are negotiating around a $35M contract, with the 5th year being what's the hold up in signing the contract....

and Andy Dalton sucks. if we end up with Andy Dalton we are doomed. he is a type of player that folds under pressure, does the least in critical situations and has never been able to win a playoff (since we are measuring success by wins, all else be damned) and not only that has had his worst performances in the playoffs.....

and the risk of injury, is for all players in the league....if you play as not to get injured, then you are not going to be that good and you probably end up being injured any way...again, sound like something you expect/want to happen.....

and given the cowboys just gave MM a 4 year contract and negotiating with Dak for a 5 year contract doesn't sound like MM is inheriting Dak and is unhappy about it, in fact all indications are that he has a lot of say around the building, has been given everything he has asked for and has made a lot of positive comments about Dak….again, sounds like you want/wish that MM is unhappy about inheriting Dak…..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
you wouldn't continue to bet on yourself? then you have no confidence in yourself. then you wouldn't be negotiating like this to begin with.....that's the point, last year he bet on himself and he came out better, and again he is betting on himself. your statement is only what you wish he would do and your dislike of him, expecting him to fall apart and be exposed or something to that effect....

and cowboys know about franchise tag implications....how do you know cowboys wouldn't want to pay $38M? you have no idea, but again, it sounds like you wish/want them not to pay...

It’s pretty foolish to continue to bet on yourself when you’ve been reportedly offered over $100 million in guaranteed money and a contract that would make you the highest paid player in the league. If Dak plays under the franchise tag this season how he plays will go a long way in whether the Cowboys want to pay him 38 million under the franchise tag next season if they still can’t come to an agreement on a new contract. If Dak’s demands continue to be so high that he and the team can’t come to an agreement after this season the Cowboys may decide to move on based on his performance in 2020. Dak is blessed to be the starting QB for a great organization that’s reportedly offered to make him the highest paid player in the league. If he doesn’t want to accept that then maybe he doesn’t want to play for the Cowboys. Continuing to push for an even bigger contract could push him right out of Dallas. There’s having confidence in yourself and there’s being stupid and if the reports are accurate on what he’s been offered he’s being stupid for not accepting it. Washington offered Amari more money than the Cowboys did but he chose the Cowboys because he wants to play here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
you wouldn't continue to bet on yourself?

Not if I’ve been offered to be the highest paid player in the league. He’s won one playoff game and is coming off an 8-8 season and being the highest paid player in the league isn’t good enough? Another thing Dak has to consider is if we don’t have a season he doesn’t get that $31 million under the franchise tag. There has to be a season for him to get paid.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s pretty foolish to continue to bet on yourself when you’ve been reportedly offered over $100 million in guaranteed money and a contract that would make you the highest paid player in the league. If Dak plays under the franchise tag this season how he plays will go a long way in whether the Cowboys want to pay him 38 million under the franchise tag next season if they still can’t come to an agreement on a new contract. If Dak’s demands continue to be so high that he and the team can’t come to an agreement after this season the Cowboys may decide to move on based on his performance in 2020. Dak is blessed to be the starting QB for a great organization that’s reportedly offered to make him the highest paid player in the league. If he doesn’t want to accept that then maybe he doesn’t want to play for the Cowboys. Continuing to push for an even bigger contract could push him right out of Dallas. There’s having confidence in yourself and there’s being stupid and if the reports are accurate on what he’s been offered he’s being stupid for not accepting it. Washington offered Amari more money than the Cowboys did but he chose the Cowboys because he wants to play here.
why is it foolish? what's foolish about that? if I was Dak I would bet more, in fact, if true he is betting even more on himself, being able to get a much much larger contract after 4 years and new TV contracts. again, I think you want to make him sound foolish, but he is not. again, he bet on himself last year and he now has a $35M contract in front of him as opposed to a $30M contract...

again, wishful thinking on your part, trying to make him look wrong and bad, but it make zero sense at all. again, highest paid player in the league is meaningless to him (even if I was negotiating), but it has meaning to you and fans like you. and largest contract will be not the largest contract when the next player signs...Ryan signed the largest contract at the time and now? again, meaningless drivel for you and some fans.....

and once again, you are right....if they don't come to agreement, cowboys have a choice to Tag him again. Dak is betting that he will be playing well and will get tagged again, if not, then he can get just as large a contract. in fact I bet you the cowboys would like to have him play well, its not about a few million to them. its about team success. and it goes back to what I said above. Dak is betting on himself and so far he has been right. again, sounds like you are hoping he doesn't play well so you can claim that you were right.

Dak is blessed, so are all the players in the league.. highest paid player...hog wash...meaningless as mentioned multiple times.

and he wants to play for the cowboys under the right numbers (years & dollars). cowboys want him to play for cowboys with right numbers and dollars. its called a negotiation......and cowboys and jones stand to lose more...searching for the next QB, losing money....5M extra is an investment that will pay 50 times over.....searching for the next QB is futile as we have learned...and no Dalton sucks.

he is not stupid. he is smart. he is at the right place. and making right choices. same thing happened to cousin...he got tagged two years, then got an 84M guaranteed contract. now another 66. so all in all he made close to $200M guaranteed...where as his original contract would have paid him around $78.....

what Amari did is irrelevant to Dak….Amari is a WR that his success depends on the QB he plays with...going to Washington would be the death march for him given their QB situation....Amari chose cowboys because he wanted to be in a better situation, given his contract is probably a 2 year deal and he is setting himself up for his next contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not if I’ve been offered to be the highest paid player in the league. He’s won one playoff game and is coming off an 8-8 season and being the highest paid player in the league isn’t good enough? Another thing Dak has to consider is if we don’t have a season he doesn’t get that $31 million under the franchise tag. There has to be a season for him to get paid.
given that you would have never reached a position to be the highest paid player...you show no confidence in yourself, would have ended up an average to below average player and never considered to be highest paid...

the 8-8, one playoff game, etc....meaningful to fans who like to argue stats vs. dollars.....on message boards like this....

you are attributing the 8-8 results all to him, but ignoring that he has yet to have a losing season and is capable of going 13-3.....

and season being up in the air...applies to all the players......and how they get paid...