Football 101: The Talent Evaluation Process

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;4415502 said:
Hos, if this is in fact the inner workings of the Cowboys, then they are in bigger trouble than we care to want to know about. You see, there has to be some responsibility and accountability for every decision made. No matter who jumps on the table, because for going on 15 years, its been the same results.

You can't go in every year with the same plan if its not working. And that is what this organization is doing. There is no set direction for what this organization wants to become. This year they try this, and next year that. Fire one coach, bring in another, make bad contract decisions, etc..... But what changes at the top are made to ensure that the organization is on the right path, for now and years to come? None..... And that is why this organization is where it is, with little hope of moving forward. It's like one of the things you mention, "re-arranging the deck chairs."

You look at a team like the Colts, they have been set in their ways with Polian, for years. At the first sign that his method was not going to work going forward, bam, he's gone. What changes have been made here to get rid of the staleness?

This is not a rip Jerry response, but you can post the inner workings all you want, but if those inner workings are not working, and have not worked for 15 years, then its time for a change.
No team has the same plan every year. All teams handle personnel in this same way. Every owner is involved. I keep telling people that GM is merely a title that they are hung up on. Tom Ciskowski's duties are the role of GM on some teams.

I will ask this again. Tell me how what Tom Ciskowski does here is different than what Ozzie Newsome does in Baltimore? Give me detailed proof that shows Ozzie does things Ciskowski is neglecting.

Tell me how what Scott Pioli is doing now in Kansas City is so much different from what he did as Director of Player Personnel in New England. Or Jeff Ireland in Miami, how it is different than here.

Speaking of Ireland, did anyone notice that when Parcells stepped down as President of football operations, no one stepped in? Ireland's duties and title didn't change? Suddenly they are operating without a President.

Horrors.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4415589 said:
I will ask this again. Tell me how what Tom Ciskowski does here is different than what Ozzie Newsome does in Baltimore? Give me detailed proof that shows Ozzie does things Ciskowski is neglecting.

Does Ciskowski pull the trigger on trades? Does he interview and eventually picks/hires head coaches? Really?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dodger12;4415620 said:
Does Ciskowski pull the trigger on trades? Does he interview and eventually picks/hires head coaches? Really?
You're saying Newsome does without any conference with the Head Coach, owner or anyone else?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
To me this thread describes process.

Strategy is where the cowboys are lacking.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Well, have been at least. Another year or two with Garrett will dictate how long that lasts. This offseason can either propel or destroy us.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile;4415589 said:
No team has the same plan every year. All teams handle personnel in this same way. Every owner is involved. I keep telling people that GM is merely a title that they are hung up on. Tom Ciskowski's duties are the role of GM on some teams.

Tell me how what Scott Pioli is doing now in Kansas City is so much different from what he did as Director of Player Personnel in New England. Or Jeff Ireland in Miami, how it is different than here.

Speaking of Ireland, did anyone notice that when Parcells stepped down as President of football operations, no one stepped in? Ireland's duties and title didn't change? Suddenly they are operating without a President.

Horrors.

...my biggest complaint of Jerry and his role is that ultimately he has to stand for the HC in Dallas.

I accept that many may have a hand in giving their opinion,but my experience being in a boardroom is that all it takes is one voice to turn the discussion. Especially if that voice is the boss of the whole pie.

Someone has to answer for Switzer,Campo and Phillips and the results those rosters put down. Jerry has to protect the Cowboys from those types of answers.

If there was a thought about Jerry that bothers me it would be my lack of confidence in his personal assessment of the state of the team. His disconnect from the reality of the team led him to Parcells.

I can imagine Bill was a disruption to the previous culture and it may have been difficult for Jerry to live in it.

Now with Jason a person more intelligent in his interactions with others making it an easier swallow for Jones. My hope is that Jones understands the type of culture needed to be a consistent winner in this league and he adopts it and sustains it.

jnday

Reaction score
junk;4415557 said:
So, if this thread was meant to enlighten everyone on what takes place in the Cowboys front office, why is it inappropriate to discuss the roles of those working in the front office?

The original post laid out Jerry's role. I don't really think Jerry's role is as understated as the original poster would like us to think, but if it is, the organization is in trouble. The GM should be doing more than reading reports generated by the scouting department and calling the pick after it has been made.

I think it is fine to discuss the process and the people involved in making the picks . If you disagree with the way they do things , please express your thoughts . Before going after Jerry , I think a few things need to be considered . Is the process that Dallas uses that much different than other teams ? If so , how is it different ? Does Jerry cause the process to fail ?
These are just a few questions that need to be answered before labeling the process a failure . As I stated , I don't like Jerry as GM . If this process is a failure , please state what needs to be done differently . I may join in with you . I don't think that this thread needs to come down the assumption that if Jerry is involved , the process is wrong . That line of thinking will soon be turned into Jerry sux and then it is a wasted thread .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee;4415704 said:
...my biggest complaint of Jerry and his role is that ultimately he has to stand for the HC in Dallas.
I have no idea what that means.

Read Parcells comments in post #25. his words, not mine. Show me where he or any of our coaches indicate Jerry is the HC.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4415670 said:
You're saying Newsome does without any conference with the Head Coach, owner or anyone else?

You're moving the goal post. You stated: "Tell me how what Tom Ciskowski does here is different than what Ozzie Newsome does in Baltimore? Give me detailed proof that shows Ozzie does things Ciskowski is neglecting."

I gave you a detailed example (ie: make trades and interview and hire head coaches) and ask you the question. A simple yes or no will do but you can't do that because they don't do the same job. To compare what Ciskowski does to what Newsome does is silly.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Great read. Thanks!

As for the Jerry bashing, I don't suppose it's avoidable. Honestly, I'm a bit of a Silent Skeptic when it comes to Jerry. I don't much see the point of focusing on Jerry as the problem so I don't often chime in on the topic. That fact, however, doesn't erase this organization's track record over the last 16 or so years. But having said that, this thread would have been more enjoyable if it had stayed narrowly on topic, which was genuinely new, relevant authentic information. It's not like anybody's going to win anybody over when it comes to Jerry, at least at this stage and in this place.

jnday

Reaction score
Crown Royal;4415698 said:
To me this thread describes process.

Strategy is where the cowboys are lacking.

Great point . I agree 100%.

jnday

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4415749 said:
Great read. Thanks!

As for the Jerry bashing, I don't suppose it's avoidable. Honestly, I'm a bit of a Silent Skeptic when it comes to Jerry. I don't much see the point of focusing on Jerry as the problem so I don't often chime in on the topic. That fact, however, doesn't erase this organization's track record over the last 16 or so years. But having said that, this thread would have been more enjoyable if it had stayed narrowly on topic, which was genuinely new, relevant authentic information. It's not like anybody's going to win anybody over when it comes to Jerry, at least at this stage and in this place.

I think that you are right . This is the reason that I hated to see this thread become about Jerry . Hos wrote an informative post about the process that takes place . I see no problem with debating if it is a good process or if it has faults . It is a good thread and a good topic . No need to start another Jerry debate and derail this thing . I think your observation is spot on .

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dodger12;4415620 said:

Yeah, it's just flat out wrong to say Ciskowski has the role of GM here. He's the assistant director of personnel. He doesn't operate anything like a GM. Hence his desire to talk with the Colts about getting a promotion.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Great read, Hos. Added some great detail of the process, even if I already "kind of" knew that's how it went down.

The Brewster comment is amazing as well. Didn't know that. Hope he's doing great and his son is too.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4415754 said:
That's quite a reach. At least it exceeds your grasp as Browning said.

And yet you still haven't answered the question (except with another question) which is a pretty good indication of whose grasp it exceeds.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dodger12;4415805 said:
And yet you still haven't answered the question (except with another question) which is a pretty good indication of whose grasp it exceeds.
What I posted was a question? Not in the English language I got my degree in.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dodger12;4415620 said:

Exactly.

Remember the tempest in a teacup when Jeff Ireland went to Miami to be with Bill... The question on if he or Bill were really the GM depended on the "final say" test. Who has final say on personnel decisions? Because that's the GM.

(Everyone knew Ireland wouldn't really have final say there, but Jerry let him go anyway.)

Ciskowski clearly doesn't have "final say" here. He just evaluates the players and puts the draft board together.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4415809 said:
What I posted was a question? Not in the English language I got my degree in.

Hostile;4415670 said:

When a sentence ends with one of these "?", then it's a question everywhere except where you got your degree. Wasted money.......

Randy White

Reaction score
suggestion:

STICKY THAT SUCKER AND MAKE IT A REQUIREMENT READING BEFORE POSTING..!!!

There are a few things I learned, a few things I've been saying for years, and a few things that should be obvious news by now.

Perfect.