Football "Rules" Trivia Question!

notherbob

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a drop-kick score, but I thought that was 2 points.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
twa said:
Any time a ball is downed in the defenders endzone after a PA attempt=1pt offense

Not exactly. Once the ball is kicked, neither team can possess it, even if it's blocked. The kick either is good or no good.

If the ball is not kicked (such as on a two-point try or because of bad snap for a PAT kick) and the offense possesses the ball in the defender's end zone, it's a two-point conversion. If the defense downs or possesses the ball in its own end zone, the play is over and no points are awarded. BUT if a defensive player bats or kicks the ball out of bounds through the end zone without ever gaining possession of the ball, the OFFENSIVE team is awarded one point for a safety.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The answer to the original post is no, an NFL team cannot score one point in a game. In college or high school, yes, but not in the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13 said:
The answer to the original post is no, an NFL team cannot score one point in a game. In college or high school, yes, but not in the NFL.
DANTHEMAN said:
Is it possible for an NFL team to only score 1 point in a game?

The answer is yes..and I can explain.
OK somebody needs to come clean because I'm :confused:

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I'll take Adam's word for it.
He's da man when it comes to this technical stuff.

Thanks Adam.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

I'm sorry Adam, but you are wrong on this one. The rule applies in the NFL also.

IF a team is lined up for the extra point. The ball goes thru the holders hands. Then a maylay ensues in an effort to get the ball. The ball makes it's way all the way back to the opposite endzone and then the defense (or whatever) recover's it.....that's a 1 point safety.

Them's tha RULES fellers!

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
what if it's blocked? does it only apply if the ball is mishandled?

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
does it only apply if the ball is mishandled?

Yes.

Once the ball is "kicked" the rules change.

We've all seen a kicker panic and try to kick a ball that was on the ground b4..."Illegal Kicking"....now ya know why.....a ball on the ground is a live ball...and in football, you can't award a team 2-3-6 points, on a 1 point play.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If an NFL game is forfeited, the score is recorded as 2-0.

And in a Major league baseball game...the forfeited score is 9-0....just an FYI.

jamez25

Reaction score
IF a team is lined up for the extra point. The ball goes thru the holders hands. Then a maylay ensues in an effort to get the ball. The ball makes it's way all the way back to the opposite endzone and then the defense (or whatever) recover's it.....that's a 1 point safety.
that's like a 90 yard fumbling and bumbling play...I doubt this has ever happened.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
I'm sorry Adam, but you are wrong on this one. The rule applies in the NFL also.

No, it does not. The NFL Rules plainly state, "The defensive team never can score on a try." There are NO exceptions.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/try

Try

1. After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.

2. The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.

3. Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

4. Only the fumbling player can recover and advance a fumble during a try.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
No, it does not. The NFL Rules plainly state, "The defensive team never can score on a try." There are NO exceptions.

Try

1. After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.

2. The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.

3. Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

I have read that even b4 I made this thread. In fact, that's exactly WHY I made this thread.

No disrespect pardner...but if you read the rules that you just posted, you will see that my initial post is 100% correct.

Re-read #4....for example....If the fumbling player (holder) recovers the ball all the way back in his own end zone....it's a 1 point safety for the apposing team.

I understand and respect what you're saying. You're saying that even if the fumbling player recovers in his own endzone....it's a deadball right there!...Spot the ball for the insueing kickoff....

I'm saying...award 1 point to the apponent, then spot the ball for the kickoff.

And I'm right. I hate to be an arse..but I KNOW I'M RIGHT!

And if I'm proven wrong...then I'll tuck tail and go away until the season starts.

However ya slice it folks...it's been a good topic for discussion.

"P.S. I'M RIGHT!"

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
You're not right. The NFL rule clearly states that the defense CANNOT score on an extra point play.

If you read a rule that says, "The defensive team never can score on a try" but somehow still think that the defense can score on a try (extra point), then you've got a serious comprehension problem.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
I understand and respect what you're saying. You're saying that even if the fumbling player recovers in his own endzone....it's a deadball right there!...Spot the ball for the insueing kickoff....

I'm saying...award 1 point to the apponent, then spot the ball for the kickoff.

And I'm right. I hate to be an arse..but I KNOW I'M RIGHT!
Where does it say anything about awarding the defense one point for ANYTHING? How can you say you are right if you have yet to post proof? I tend to agree with Adam on this one, as I haven't seen anything in writing about the defense being awarded any points during a conversion. The rules Adam posted are pretty simple.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Try

Another source

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1] http://www.4nflpicks.com/NFL%20Rules.html

[/size][/font]
TRY

goshan

Reaction score
The 'One Point for a Safety' in the rule appears to be referring to the possibility that the defense recovers and gains control of the ball in the end zone (fumbled snap, fumbled two point attempt, etc.)...tries to advance it out...but is tackled before reaching the goal line. Hence the 1 pt safety is awarded to the offensive team.

It looks pretty clear to me. The Defense can never score. Period.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
However ya slice it folks...it's been a good topic for discussion.

Yes, it was - and an interesting piece of the arcane.

Props to ya on your sense of humour, Dan. :)