Football "Rules" Trivia Question!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
goshan said:
The 'One Point for a Safety' in the rule appears to be referring to the possibility that the defense recovers and gains control of the ball in the end zone (fumbled snap, fumbled two point attempt, etc.)...tries to advance it out...but is tackled before reaching the goal line. Hence the 1 pt safety is awarded to the offensive team.

I explained the one-point safety earlier in the thread. It occurs when a defensive player bats or kicks a fumble out of bounds through the defense's end zone. It's a one-point safety for the offense.

In your scenario, the ball would be dead and the play over as soon as the defensive player gains control of the ball.

blindzebra

Reaction score
As a sports official, I'm used to the confusing nature of how rules are written.

Dan is wrong, you cannot have a 6-1 game.

#1 is talking about points that can be scored by the KICKING TEAM.

#2 clearly states that the non-kicking team cannot score during an attempted try.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, there IS one thing I do know.

If I'm ever sitting in a bar watching Dallas give up the go ahead TD with 1 second on the clock, and some sumagun next to me says "Hey, don't give up, we can still tie this thing ifin'..."

Well, he's gettin' slapped upside the head.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
this article tends to support the defenses inability to score or advance the ball - or achieve any benefit whatsoever outside of preventing the offenses successful conversion of either a PAT or 2-point conversion. it was written in 1998.

http://www.americanfootballmonthly.com/Subaccess/Magazine/1998/1stQu'98/clock.html

(i don't know why it won't set up as a link but this web address is valid... )

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
I'm sorry Adam, but you are wrong on this one. The rule applies in the NFL also.

IF a team is lined up for the extra point. The ball goes thru the holders hands. Then a maylay ensues in an effort to get the ball. The ball makes it's way all the way back to the opposite endzone and then the defense (or whatever) recover's it.....that's a 1 point safety.

Them's tha RULES fellers!

In other words, no team can posess the ball at all during the melee, which of course means the ball is fumbled around all the way to the end zone. So if the team defending the attempted kick actually posesses the ball at any time during the melee... the so called melee ends, then the rules change, and no points get awarded... Only during the rumblin', bumblin', fumblin' (a' la Swami) over the entire field into the kicking teams end zone does the 1 point apply. Is this the right definition??

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Pokes28

Reaction score
Well, sort of. Adam is (as normal) correct on this one.

Only the kicking team can score on a PAT attempt in the NFL. There was a LOT about this after last year's Texas/aTm game. Various sources went into the rule books for NFL, NCAA, and other levels.

The one point safety is scored by the kicking team. If I remember correctly, the one point safety can only take place if the team lines up to kick the ball, the ball is kicked, but blocked on the kicking team's side of the ball (yes the location of the blocking point matters) then the ball is knocked back by the defense through the end zone. The defense can't gain control of the football and if the offense does and runs it in, it is still just a one point play but not considered a safety.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
After reviewing the thread. I'm beginning to think that I may have been mistaken. Perhaps it doesn't apply in the NFL. So, out of respect for my fellow forumites, I'll go ahead ans concede that I was wrong. But at least I knew that a 1 point safety IS possible in football, and it was a very interesting thread.

Also, I guess I'm a liar too. Cos I ain't going anywhere. I enjoy this place too much to walk away until the season starts. Instead, I'll just keep myself banished to the Off Topic forum until the pre season starts.

Anyway, thanks for all the participation and feedback. Twas a fun thread and I'd like to think that I contributed something herein. And thanks for the kind PM's. You all know who you are, and they were all very nice.

Dan.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Here is a trivia question for you. When the Browns first joined the NFL, the Eagles complained after their first game with the Browns that the Browns passed too much. What happened the second time they played that year?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
The one point safety is scored by the kicking team. If I remember correctly, the one point safety can only take place if the team lines up to kick the ball, the ball is kicked, but blocked on the kicking team's side of the ball (yes the location of the blocking point matters) then the ball is knocked back by the defense through the end zone. The defense can't gain control of the football and if the offense does and runs it in, it is still just a one point play but not considered a safety.

If the ball is kicked and blocked, the play is over. Neither team can gain control of the ball after it's kicked.

The one-point safety on extra points applies to fumbles batted or kicked through the end zone by the defense. The offense gets one point.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
I'll go ahead ans concede that I was wrong
:spanking:

But at least I knew that a 1 point safety IS possible in football
:jackpot:

Also, I guess I'm a liar too. :liarliar: Cos I ain't going anywhere. :flipflop: I enjoy this place too much to walk away until the season starts. Instead, I'll just keep myself banished to the Off Topic forum until the pre season starts.:picknose:

Anyway, thanks for all the participation and feedback. Twas a fun thread and I'd like to think that I contributed something herein. And thanks for the kind PM's. You all know who you are, and they were all very nice. :grouphug:

Dan.[/QUOTE]

THE*LAW

Reaction score
But...For arguments sake...What happens if the snap is missed entirely by the holder and for some unknown reason the kicker then picks it up, turns around and kicks it in the direction of HIS endzone and by some magical roll of the ball it goes out the back of the endzone. Then what?...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THE*LAW said:
But...For arguments sake...What happens if the snap is missed entirely by the holder and for some unknown reason the kicker then picks it up, turns around and kicks it in the direction of HIS endzone and by some magical roll of the ball it goes out the back of the endzone. Then what?...
Dead ball.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DANTHEMAN said:
After reviewing the thread. I'm beginning to think that I may have been mistaken.
:lmao2:
At least you are man enough to admit it. Interesting thread.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
Here is a trivia question for you. When the Browns first joined the NFL, the Eagles complained after their first game with the Browns that the Browns passed too much. What happened the second time they played that year?

The Browns won 13-7 w/o throwing a single pass.

That's one of my faves lurker.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
So these are the kinds of threads we get during the slow period, eh? Five page discussions on how to score one point in the NFL. :p:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Forfeit. The Commissioner, (except in cases of disciplinary action; see last section on "Removing Team from Field"), League President, and their representatives, including referees, are not authorized unilaterally to declare forfeits. A forfeit occurs only when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. In that event, the other team, if ready and willing to play, is the winner by a score of 2-0.

Believed you Adam but always like to look things up myself time permitted.

I was right in the high school a forfeit is 1-0 (in SC public football). Not sure why they made it 2-0 in the NFL other than to be different which is probably good idea.

Carl23

Reaction score
I, for one, enjoyed the discussion. I'll file it away until I can use it in an argument with a Foreskin Fan.