For all the criticism Dak Prescott gets

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has better statistics in his first three seasons Ben Roethlisberger Brady Goff or Wentz. I think it's ridiculous but you like statistics there they are
You really believe Dak is a more prolific passer?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A more prolific passer? No.

But better than some around him give him credit for? Absolutely.

If you listened to some posters around here you would think Dak has a noodle arm, and couldn’t hit a receiver past 10 yards to save his life.
As always it’s usually somewhere in the middle.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You really believe Dak is a more prolific passer?
Than who? . Those people I mentioned. Not at this point in time in his career actually yes he's better than Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. I seen every single one of their games also. DirecTV is a wonderful thing.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A more prolific passer? No.

But better than some around him give him credit for? Absolutely.

If you listened to some posters around here you would think Dak has a noodle arm, and couldn’t hit a receiver past 10 yards to save his life.
In reality it's actually hit intermediate pass that needs to most to work. Right over the linebacker before the corner. But how many times have you heard that. People are like parrots they just repeat.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I use the official NFL stats as a big part of my comparisons. The same official stats used to rank offenses, defenses and personal stats.

Passing yards much like rushing yards and total yards is a great measurement for players on less than good teams. Winning isn’t always a good measurement.
You referred to "official" stats. Passer rating was developed by the NFL in the 1970s, so that's about as official as it gets. Teams pass almost exclusively when they're behind, which is why the NFL hasn't used passing yards to determine its passing leaders since 1938. Since then, the league has mainly used some form of yards per attempt. Passer rating is an "adjusted" yards per attempt (adjusted for TD / INT and completion percentage).

Who do you think right now is a good QB on a bad team, with a lot of passing yardage but not an impressive passer rating? Eli? Stafford? Keenum?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Than who? . Those people I mentioned. Not at this point in time in his career actually yes he's better than Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. I seen every single one of their games also. DirecTV is a wonderful thing.
I don’t know of an analyst that would rank Dak above Goff or Wentz as a more prolific passer. Maybe some homeristic Cowboy fans?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You referred to "official" stats. Passer rating was developed by the NFL in the 1970s, so that's about as official as it gets. Teams pass almost exclusively when they're behind, which is why the NFL hasn't used passing yards to determine its passing leaders since 1938. Since then, the league has mainly used some form of yards per attempt. Passer rating is an "adjusted" yards per attempt (adjusted for TD / INT and completion percentage).

Who do you think right now is a good QB on a bad team, with a lot of passing yardage but not an impressive passer rating? Eli? Stafford? Keenum?
Of course yards are still used to rank passing leaders. Open up NFL.com/stats.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Of course yards are still used to rank passing leaders. Open up NFL.com/stats.
Obviously you'd have to use passing yards to find out who leads the NFL in passing yards. But the NFL doesn't use yards to rank its passing leaders, it uses passer rating. In fact, it's the only reason passer rating even exists.

Timeline of Methods Used by the NFL to Determine Passing Leaders

Since the NFL first started keeping official statistics in 1932, the following are the different ways in which the passing champions were determined.

1932-1937
Total yards passing
1938-1940
Percentage of completions
1941-1948
Inverse ranking system of the following categories: completions, percentage of completions, total yards, total TD passes, number of interceptions, and percentage of interceptions.
The same formula used from 1941-48 except the number of interceptions was dropped from the equation.
1950-1959
Average yards gained per pass with a minimum of 100 attempts needed to qualify.
1960-1961
Inverse ranking system based on six categories: total completions, total yards, total TD passes, percentage of completions, percentage of interceptions, average gain per attempt with the principle established of at least 10 attempts per game to qualify.
1962-1971
Inverse ranking system based on four categories: Percentage of completions, total touchdown passes, percentage of interceptions, average gain per attempt.
Same system used from 1962 to 1971 except that the percentage of touchdown passes was substituted for total touchdown passes.
1973-present
Passer rating.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/nfl-s-passer-rating/

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/passing

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Wentz was tearing it up in 2017 and had 30tds and 7 int before he got hurt. Dak hasn't even come close to 30 passing TDs.
This is an extremely naive take. The Cowboys offense so far with Dak at the helm has been a power running game with Zeke. So these stats are totally meaningless and any educated fan know this.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bingo you hit the nail on the head, "Surround Dak with better " and there in lies the problem you will not face up to Dak needs to be carried , he can't carry the team, that is not a knock against him, he has played the last 3 years with the most talented all around cowboys team in the last 20 years and still he falls flat with out the total all star supporting cast.
All lies. Here is why:

*injured and depleted Oline the past 2 years. Oline gave up franchise record QB sacks in 2018 and previous high in 2017.
*Oline was so bad, Oline coaching change was made halfway through 2018 season for the first time in franchise history.
*no #1 WR, no true #2 WR, no #1 TE, backups were more #3s than #2s the past 2 seasons. Previous old #1 was cut last year and #2 receivers were cut last year and this year. Previous old #1 TE retired last year.
*terrible playcalling the last 2+ years. So bad that O-Coordinator Linehan got fired by season's end.
*low All Pro selections the past 2 years.
*several key coaching changes at the end of 2017. New O-Coordinator change at end of 2018 to a zero coordinator experienced ex-backup QB.
*Head Coach Jason Garrett not given contract extension this 2019 offseason. Given notice of being placed on hotseat. 2019 to be a "prove it" year or get fired.

Need I continue?

Yeah, sounds exactly like you are saying that Dak has been surrounded with "the most talented all around cowboys team in the last 20 years"? Just stop with the lying already. You sound ignorant. The facts prove you absolutely wrong.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Obviously you'd have to use passing yards to find out who leads the NFL in passing yards. But the NFL doesn't use yards to rank its passing leaders, it uses passer rating. In fact, it's the only reason passer rating even exists.

Timeline of Methods Used by the NFL to Determine Passing Leaders

Since the NFL first started keeping official statistics in 1932, the following are the different ways in which the passing champions were determined.

1932-1937
Total yards passing
1938-1940
Percentage of completions
1941-1948
Inverse ranking system of the following categories: completions, percentage of completions, total yards, total TD passes, number of interceptions, and percentage of interceptions.
The same formula used from 1941-48 except the number of interceptions was dropped from the equation.
1950-1959
Average yards gained per pass with a minimum of 100 attempts needed to qualify.
1960-1961
Inverse ranking system based on six categories: total completions, total yards, total TD passes, percentage of completions, percentage of interceptions, average gain per attempt with the principle established of at least 10 attempts per game to qualify.
1962-1971
Inverse ranking system based on four categories: Percentage of completions, total touchdown passes, percentage of interceptions, average gain per attempt.
Same system used from 1962 to 1971 except that the percentage of touchdown passes was substituted for total touchdown passes.
1973-present
Passer rating.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/nfl-s-passer-rating/

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/passing
Yea but if your discussing who’s leading the league in passing you revert to the NFL.com/stats.

The passer rating doesn’t always reflect the passing leader

Passer rating isn’t the official stat used by NFL.com

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Always excuses when it comes to Dak.

I guess he shouldnt be held accountable for letting the team get down 21-3 before finally waking up.
I'm too tired to correct you, WB, but it's obvious you are trolling once again and trying to remake historical facts. Anyone who watched that game knows the Officials and our Defense were the ones who helped the Packers to an 18 point first half lead, and it was Dak who led the team back with over 300 yards passing with 3 TDs (2 others taken away) to tie the game at 31 all with 39 seconds left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm too tired to correct you, WB, but it's obvious you are trolling once again and trying to remake historical facts. Anyone who watched that game knows the Officials and our Defense were the ones who helped the Packers to an 18 point first half lead, and it was Dak who led the team back with over 300 yards passing with 3 TDs (2 others taken away) to tie the game at 31 all with 39 seconds left.
No doubt Dak led us back and our defense and a miraculous play by Rodgers was the difference.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No doubt Dak led us back and our defense and a miraculous play by Rodgers was the difference.
That still hurts, Greg. Just needed the D to stop Rogers from driving 45 yards during those last 39 seconds to force Overtime and hope we get the football into Dak's hands first with a coin flip. Cowboys would have won if Dak was given 1 more chance. He was on fire. The exact thing happened this recent playoff game loss at LA Rams. Grrr.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That still hurts, Greg. Just needed the D to stop Rogers from driving 45 yards during those last 39 seconds to force Overtime and hope we get the football into Dak's hands first with a coin flip. Cowboys would have won if Dak was given 1 more chance. He was on fire. The exact thing happened this recent playoff game loss at LA Rams. Grrr.
Not exactly. I didn’t really think we had the defense to go very far in 2016. Last year we did but not enough offense.

The Rams game wasn’t really as close as the score. If we hadn’t limited them to 3 FG’s early would have been over by half. We really have to put up more points against the prolific teams in playoffs.

We need both sides of the ball to be top 10.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
32-15 but I understand you’re a hater and gotta hate. It what makes you wake up in the morning obviously.
I knew it wouldnt be long until the team Mascot showed up. And here you are.

32-15 , yet what has that gotten us? Nothing

Alrighty then

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I knew it wouldnt be long until the team Mascot showed up. And here you are.

32-15 , yet what has that gotten us? Nothing

Alrighty then
What did the previous one get you? Nothing. Yet you still worship him.

At least Dak shows a clutch gene, willingness to improve and has youth and time to actually win something.