For all you Carpenter lovers

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Gosselin has Carpenter rated as the 5th best OLB in the draft, so i ask you, is he worth taking at 18....btw here is his list on OLB

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
2. Ernie Sims Florida State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
5. Bobby Carpenter Ohio State
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford
10. James Anderson Virginia Tech

hmmmm?

cboyd

Reaction score
we really can't go off of Gosselin's ratings because he says it himself that he never watches prospects. He just goes by what scouts say. But I do agree with you that Carpentar is probably the 4th best OLB prospect in this draft, and we should draft the best player available, and I don't think he will be the best player available unless our scouting department thinks otherwise.

MiStar

Reaction score
Name all the guys on that list that are 250+ lbs, can shed offensive tackles, drop into coverage, and rush the passer. These are prerequisites for playing OLB in Bill Parcell's 3-4.

That list gets a whole lot smaller.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
Gosselin has Carpenter rated as the 5th best OLB in the draft, so i ask you, is he worth taking at 18....btw here is his list on OLB

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford

hmmmm?
Last year 4 LBs were taken ahead of Lofa Tatupu and 5 ahead of Odell Thurman.

Where a player is ranked on a subjective list matters little. Where they end up matters a lot.

In 2000 six QBs were taken before a kid named Tom Brady came off the board in the 6th round. 31 other teams wish they hadn't passed on him for 5 rounds.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Many of those ahead of Carpenter are not typical 3-4 SOLB linebackers, and some like Hawk and Greenway may be more adequate to play ILB in a 4-3 scheme. It's all about getting the right player and right fit for your team. With that in mind, Carpenter is at the top of the list.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford

hmmmm?

Please see the thread entitled "Article: The great guessing game". While I respect Gosselin, he can be just as wrong as anybody else.

I would be more than happy with Carpenter. Not because I think he will be a superstar but because I think he is a very safe pick that will start right away.

Having said that, the one player I would trade up for is A. J. Hawk.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I heard Carpenter on the radio this week. Sounded like a real cement-head.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
bbgun said:
I heard Carpenter on the radio this week. Sounded like a real cement-head.

Another reason we need him: NO concussions!!:lmao2:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Several of these guys listed ahead of Carpenter would not make it in a 3-4. Sims for instance is just not big enough...when we looked at him everyone was thinking we would make him a Safety if we got him. I don't think Sims could play OLB for us but Carpenter could.

It seems that Gosslin was evaluating these guys from a traditional 4-3 perspective. But from our perspective (that of a 3-4 defensive team) Carpenter is likely at the TOP of that list since it does not include Lawson or Wimbley.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
for what are need is, a playmaking LB opposite Ware, definitely he's worth a selection at 18

CowboyChris

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Several of these guys listed ahead of Carpenter would not make it in a 3-4. Sims for instance is just not big enough...when we looked at him everyone was thinking we would make him a Safety if we got him. I don't think Sims could play OLB for us but Carpenter could.

It seems that Gosslin was evaluating these guys from a traditional 4-3 perspective. But from our perspective (that of a 3-4 defensive team) Carpenter is likely at the TOP of that list since it does not include Lawson or Wimbley.

good point, Wimbley and Lawson are not on that list, does that push him even more down the list?

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford

hmmmm?
Yeah well, my next door neighbor swears that Carpenter is better than AJ Hawk. I don't know who I should believe. :laugh2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:

Yes, he is. Cuz he's the second best LB in the draft in MY opinion.

If all you're gonna do is rely on others to tell you how good players are, then why bother debating about it?

Try forming your own opinions.

Some of those are debatable, but no way in freakin' hell is Chad Greenway better then Bobby Carpenter. Especially for a 3-4 defense.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford

hmmmm?

Goose is usually accurate in his draft projections because of the relationships that he has with many of the “personnel people” amongst every NFL team. I do wonder though, how accurate he has been in predicting how good a player will be.

Who knows? How do we know that back in 1990 Goose predict McCants going to Tampa Bay but he (McCants) being a player than Junior Seau?

McCants was the 2nd defensive player in a 1st round full draft(1990)of bust;

Chris Singleton
Ray Agnew
Anthony Smith (He was OK)
James Francis (His lil’ bro may have been better)
Percy Snow (All Everything, a so called “decade player”)
Renaldo Turnbull – Not bad for the 3-4 defensive he played
Lamar Lathon I hope that the money he received (1st Round) really helped his family
James Williams (I’m a draftnik and don’t remember this cat)
Tony Bennett
Ben Smith (Tour up his knee before new mlileniam science)

All I’m saying is, Goose may know who’s going to be chosen by whom, but he MAY not know who will be great. Or at the very least good.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Goose is usually accurate in his draft projections because of the relationships that he has with many of the “personnel people” amongst every NFL team. I do wonder though, how accurate he has been in predicting how good a player will be.

Goose is about as good as predicting a prospect's success in the nFL as I am, or anyone else is

The Realist

Reaction score
Last year we got 2nd or 3rd best LB at #11 when #1 (DJ) went 16 and #2 (Merriman) went 12.

That is of course if you listen to the internet draft "gurus" who listen to hype machines and don't take scheme into account.

The Realist

Reaction score
If you're looking at a site that listed Ware as a DE last year or Manny this year......I apologize for that site.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
no problems man, I'm not even sure, just off the top of my head, just agreeing with you how useless rankings by mediots are