For all you Carpenter lovers

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
It's not uncommon for Carpenter to be listed this low. I don't think he's a second round pick, but I do think it's a reach at #18. I think the Carp-love around here has perhaps exaggerated his talents just a tad.

That's my main reservation about him. I think he's likely a reach at 18. The deal is that based on some of the teams below us, like NE and SF, who both may want a LB, he'll probably go higher than he's ranked.

The question is whether he's the best player for us at 18. Even if he's our top LB at that point, we need to look at the other positions as well. It comes down to whether we want the best player available, or the best linebacker available.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Bingo Inman. Wouldnt Howard at say 29 in a trade down and adding a pick be more valuable than Carpenter @ 18?

How about Gocong,Hawkins,Mark Anderson,Mcclover and some others? Is there that big a difference from Carpenter than those guys? I love Carpenter but not at 18. I would rather go in another direction.

Wouldnt drafting a guy ahead of your rankings indicate a "reach"? Whose to say these rankings arent very close to teams' boards?

Merriman may have been the top rated guy and he may have been on the Boys board but he had these certain guys...you know....the Postons representing him. The Cowboys dont deal with the Postons.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Hos,

Wish I knew how to send the exact link ...this is real good stuff. When you open up the URL I sent, look along the left side of the page, you'll see the following ...(select "NFL Draft")

Specials
New Orleans Jazz Fest
Chernobyl Remembered
NFL Draft
Science of the Bible
Best of the Week

Next ... look toward the bottom of the page and you'll see ...

"view all"

That should take you right to the treasure.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Monday? I think Saturday 5 seconds after the pick is announced.

So glad I won't see it.
Well I promise that I won't be complaining if we take Carpenter. I like the guy but do think he's a bit of a reach at 18. If Parcells and Ireland think otherwise then I'm perfectly happy.

I do, however, reserve the right to ***** if we take Thomas Howard at 18.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
Gosselin has Carpenter rated as the 5th best OLB in the draft, so i ask you, is he worth taking at 18....btw here is his list on OLB

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
2. Ernie Sims Florida State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
5. Bobby Carpenter Ohio State
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford
10. James Anderson Virginia Tech

hmmmm?

Demarcus Ware was ranked between the 9th and 11th best DE in last years draft according to Street and Smiths, Profootball Weekly, and ESPN respectively. How'd that work out??? Hmmmmmmmm........

odog422

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I've got a dubbed over vignette of a Japanese musician trying to make his father accept him and the same thing about gas prices I had before.

Nothing on Carpenter.

***???? ah well, hos, he is an eagles fan so.... :doh:

as to the thread, the only guy ive seen play among the "candidates" is carpenter, and not just this year. as an osu alum i really paid attention to this guy and while definitely hawk is superior, i would have NO problems whatsoever with this guy at 18. someone pointed out earlier -- at 250+, with pass rush, shedding blockers, run stuffing ability, i just dont see who else there is. and i really dont want to go through the growing pains of another DE > OLB.

the other guys ive seen highlights, and nothing ive seen makes me want them over this guy, just that simple. im really a believer in what has the guy done on the field -- im not really impressed with workout numbers or "projections", "high ceilings" or "upsides." tell me or let me see what the guy has done on the field and who hes done it against.

someone posted about wanting a guy whose going to be here 10-12 yrs, a pro bowler, etc. no guarantees in this process, which i why i place the premium on production/competition.

this guy, i HAVE seen for a couple years now, in big games and not so big games, and he does show up and he is a difference maker. IMO. just makes the most sense.

Pokes28

Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
Bingo Inman. Wouldnt Howard at say 29 in a trade down and adding a pick be more valuable than Carpenter @ 18?

A couple things. First, getting to pick 29 may not be easy. It takes two to tango as they say. And it all depends. The thing is that Howard is smaller than Carpenter and they are roughly the same speed (yes Howard timed better, but Carpenter still wasn't fully healthy according to reports).

DiscipleofTuna said:
How about Gocong,Hawkins,Mark Anderson,Mcclover and some others? Is there that big a difference from Carpenter than those guys? I love Carpenter but not at 18. I would rather go in another direction.

Wouldnt drafting a guy ahead of your rankings indicate a "reach"? Whose to say these rankings arent very close to teams' boards?

Well, you are assuming that the Dallas brain trust's board looks like all the ones that we are seeing. They could have Carpenter as the 10th best player in the draft for all we know. Remember, people like Kirwan and Kiper are making a general draft list. They list guys that wouldn't be a good fit in Dallas ahead of players that would. The Dallas draft board is all about players and how they will fit with our schemes. Every team in the NFL is the same way. So don't get too hung up on the player rankings. They aren't realistic.

Based on what you are saying, I'm assuming you follow fantasy football enough to know about value based drafting and average value drafting. Basically it states that while you may think that a player is the best player available, you try to take him a late as you can so you can still get the player. That would be like if Dallas really thought Gocong was the best prospect in the draft. They know it likely that he would still be there when they pick in round 2 and maybe round 3, so taking him in the first would be stupid. To that end I agree with your assessment. But BC is most likely a first round pick. If Dallas has him as the best player on their board at 18 and they can't find a trade partner, are you saying they should draft somebody else? They know they won't get him in round two.

The beauty of the real draft over fantasy football is that teams aren't all playing under the same circumstances. In fantasy football every participant is drafting players because they can score. In the NFL, teams are drafting players to put the team in a better position for success. Sometimes that will mean drafting a player who's job will be to make others better.

Your question about Carpenter versus Gocong, Anderson, etc. You'll have a hard time finding anybody that is more hopeful that we draft Gocong than me. The kid will be a very good one. I project him as an ILB instead of an OLB, but that's me. Carpenter is more NFL ready than any of the guys you mentioned. You know what you will get when you draft him. The other guys will have position changes, need a year in the weight room, maybe have some history of sporatic play or play against lesser competition. Basically, Carpenter is where he is because not only is he a big LB, but he's an easy grade with a low bust factor.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

kartr

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
Gosselin has Carpenter rated as the 5th best OLB in the draft, so i ask you, is he worth taking at 18....btw here is his list on OLB

1. A.J. Hawk Ohio State
2. Ernie Sims Florida State
3. Chad Greenway Iowa
4. Demeco Ryans Alabama
5. Bobby Carpenter Ohio State
6. Thomas Howard UTEP
7. Roger McIntosh Miami
8. Clint Ingram Oklahoma
9. Jon Alston Stanford
10. James Anderson Virginia Tech

hmmmm?

I agree, it would be better to take Clint INgram on day two. He's got more size, speed than Kevin Burnette and he can rush the passer and cover backs and TE's.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Thank you. Not bad footage. The thing I like best is it shows he understands pursuit angles very well.

Ah ...Hos,

I could say I was at my job and my boss walked in, but that wouldn't be honest ...so, I'll just say that I finally figured out how to get the direct footage. Hopefully ...here's something on Ernie Sims ...

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=305a14cd-9b69-4842-82d7-c357b654ccde&f=rss33&fg=copy

Let me at that posters who said ..."Ah he is an Eagles fan, so ..." Put em up, put em up!:eek::

speedkilz88

Reaction score
FYI- For those with espnClassic, the Texas-Ohio St. game is being replayed right now. 1-4 pm (cst)