For the clueless Austin haters

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I don't hate Austin, he does have some great speed but he has not lived up to his 1st round draft status. I'm not expecting much out of him this season but I'm not going to complain that he is here, we got him for a 6th rounder. He will be better than any 6th rounder we would have drafted!

GenoT

Reaction score
I see Austin being similar to Dunbar, Whitehead and Switzer; small, quick, versatile.

And like the aforementioned 3, will likely do some KR/PR, but won’t get off the bench much otherwise.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin's speed and the success of the run game are like yin and yang.

You simply have to account for him. You can't just not cover him.

That gives you a lot of options, and he should show more value here because of the run game. I also expect him to help it, and as an aside, the passing game as well especially if we implement more play action.

You're right. The Rams didn't have a running game last year.

JustChip

Reaction score
I don't hate Austin, just his fumbling when returning kicks

I agree 100%. Turnovers change the momentum and complexion of the game. Fumbled punts/kickoffs are the worst because they happen on your side of the field and gift the opponents an easy scoring opportunity. Switzer's fumble against the Rams changed that game instantly. Can't say they lost because of it since it was in the 1st half, but it certainly changed how Dallas was in control.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The question for me is what has he done before? Has he returned several punts for tds? Does he have a high return average? Does he catch lots of passes? Does he have a high average per catch, if he doesn't get a lot of passes thrown to him?

To answer, here's his career stats for the above questions:

TD returns - 3 in 5 years. Average per return - 8.6 38 passes per year average. 22.6 average per catch.

Rushing - 247 yards per year, 6.7 average, 9 tds in 5 years.

So other than the average per return, per reception and per rush is very good. Other stats, nothing special.

Which leads me to the about the same thing I've said before, except instead of seeing nothing to make me think he can be special, the averages show me something to think he can be successful. But with a rush-oriented offense, I'm still doubtful he'll get enough action except punt returns, and his numbers on those are, again, nothing special.

And you have to factor in the fact that in the last 3 years, the Cowboys have:

2017 - 31 returns, 1 td
2016 - 28 returns, 0 td
2015 - 33 returns, 0 td.

An average of 30.66 returns per year, and in 2016, with Zeke's great rookie year, the number of returns is less, if he does that good again, there simply won't be that many opportunities for punt returns. Since Austin only had 3 in 5 years, he probably won't get more than 1. Hardly something that will change games.

One more thing to consider is that punt returns are of course only partly due to the returner's skill, he has to have at last decent blocking, and I've not seen that Dallas does a real good job at that, further handicapping Austin.

Now it may sound like a lot of doom and gloom, but just saying that if you want to anticipate Austin doing great things, fine, but just be realistic based on his and Dallas' past numbers

GenoT

Reaction score
If Austin is to have any real success with DC, the coaches are gonna have to find a way to get him into the lineup on a consistent basis.

His predecessors (Dunbar, Whitehead, Switzer) never really got enough touches to prove/disprove their value. And each of these guys had talent.

Garrett & Co are now on their fourth version (Austin) of a scatback/returner/4th WR (or whatever you wanna call ‘em), with none of the first three having made any sustained impact on the team’s success.

Something tells me it may be more of a system/game-planning issue than a talent issue.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Austin is to have any real success with DC, the coaches are gonna have to find a way to get him into the lineup on a consistent basis.

His predecessors (Dunbar, Whitehead, Switzer) never really got enough touches to prove/disprove their value. And each of these guys had talent.

Garrett & Co are now on their fourth version (Austin) of a scatback/returner/4th WR (or whatever you wanna call ‘em), with none of the first three having made any sustained impact on the team’s success.

Something tells me it may be more of a system/game-planning issue than a talent issue.

Dunbar played 16% of the snaps in the 13 games he was healthy for 2016 (10.7 snaps per game).

Whitehead played 14.4% in 2016 of the 15 games he was active (9.33 snaps per game).

Just combine those snaps and give them to Austin.

That's 20 snaps per game.

The Cowboys averaged about 66 snaps per game in both 2016 and 2017.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dunbar played 16% of the snaps in the 13 games he was healthy for 2016 (10.7 snaps per game).

Whitehead played 14.4% in 2016 of the 15 games he was active (9.33 snaps per game).

Just combine those snaps and give them to Austin.

That's 20 snaps per game.

The Cowboys averaged about 66 snaps per game in both 2016 and 2017.

Snaps doesn't automatically equate to touches, though I can see where Dallas will spread the ball around to multiple receivers, Austin would get a chance to show what he can do probably...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I like the potential of Austin - where he was drafted doesn't matter now, he bombed in LA and that's on the Rams. Fresh start and he's essentially a 5th round pick now.

Hope he comes in and does good things - there is talent there no doubt.

Big_D

Reaction score
A change of scenery in a good offense, so add him to the mix. Just another weapon! H'e s a jack of all trades, run, catch, return. speed in the open field. Better than Dunbar and should see plenty of usage. Will be a welcome addition to take pressure off other areas.

Big_D

Reaction score
The Rams used him in a variety of different ways.

• He lined up out wide in three-receiver sets, catching bubble screens and running traditional downfield routes.
  • He motioned across the formation, running jet sweeps and play actions from the slot and from out wide.
  • He lined up as a single back, taking handoffs and toss sweeps – from both traditional and shotgun formations. He also caught his fair share of swing passes and flare outs from the backfield, as well.
  • He motioned out of the backfield, forcing defenses to account for a last-second switch from running back to receiver.
and him and zeke can lineup together at times.

He should be a nice change for this offense. The transition from usually forcing the ball downfield compared to using the whole thing.