For the Garrett haters: Does Pederson get us to the SB in two years?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Joey Galloway trade for one . The most stupidest move ever.

Just an example of Jerry wanting a splashy player, the team needed players other than a speedy wide receiver. On the other hand, nobody knew Galloway would tear up a knee in his first game with the Cowboys, he hadn't missed but one game in his first 5 years with Seattle (held out the year before due to a contract dispute, probably a big reason Seattle let him leave). Prior to Dallas picking him up, he had been over 1,000 yard in 4 of his 5 years, was very fast and could return punts. And after he left Dallas, he had 3 straight years of over 1,000 yards with Tampa Bay.

So his poor performance with Dallas could be due (again) to coaching.

I'd not call getting him the "most stupidest move ever". Wasn't the greatest decision obviously but as is usually the case, there's more to the story. Would I have made the trade? Nah, he wasn't an annual Pro Bowler or such, like I said the Cowboys had bigger needs...

Big_D

Reaction score
Just an example of Jerry wanting a splashy player, the team needed players other than a speedy wide receiver. On the other hand, nobody knew Galloway would tear up a knee in his first game with the Cowboys, he hadn't missed but one game in his first 5 years with Seattle (held out the year before due to a contract dispute, probably a big reason Seattle let him leave). Prior to Dallas picking him up, he had been over 1,000 yard in 4 of his 5 years, was very fast and could return punts. And after he left Dallas, he had 3 straight years of over 1,000 yards with Tampa Bay.

I'd not call getting him the "most stupidest move ever". Wasn't the greatest decision obviously but as is usually the case, there's more to the story. Would I have made the trade? Nah, he wasn't an annual Pro Bowler or such, like I said the Cowboys had bigger needs...

2 first rounders for a WR? Bigger needs is an understatement. And he was 29 years old. It was very stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup. Giving up a 2/3 for Galloway would've been a good move. It's the value thing. You just don't give up two 1sts for any WR. Hey, maybe if you're truly stacked and are one player away, mmmmaaaaaaayyyyyybbbbbbeeeeee.

Galloway was a stud, both before and after the injury. He was more than just a speed WR.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Galloway was a stud, both before and after the injury. He was more than just a speed WR.

Been quite a while ago, but I don't seem to recall a huge "stupid move" wave of comments when it happened. I'm sure some didn't like it, but nothing the Cowboys do is ever totally agreeable to the great unwashed...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
2 first rounders for a WR? Bigger needs is an understatement. And he was 29 years old. It was very stupid.

I would vote for the Roy Williams trade as more stupid, he had one year with over 1,000 yards, the two years prior to Dallas getting him he had only 838 and 232 yards receiving, only 6 total tds. And never returned punts. Cowboys gave up a first rounder for him as well as a third and a 6th in the 2009 draft. And he never did anything after he left Dallas, either.

In any case, no shortage of dumb personnel moves by the Cowboys, though that's not unique to Dallas...

JustChip

Reaction score
Been quite a while ago, but I don't seem to recall a huge "stupid move" wave of comments when it happened. I'm sure some didn't like it, but nothing the Cowboys do is ever totally agreeable to the great unwashed...

I obviously wasn't a member here back then, but rest assured I voiced in my circle it was a stupid move. Hog Jowls justified it (paraphrasing) based on, if you drafted a WR of Joey's potential in the 1st round, there would be no assurances the potential would be met so giving up a 1st round made perfect sense since Joey was a proven commodity. He justified giving up the additional 1st round pick because of the experience factor, essentially it would take a couple of years for the draft pick to reach the potential even if he did. I wasn't necessarily ok with giving up even one 1st, but I understood his justification, but the 2nd first was asinine, ridiculous, moronic, in short, just plain dumb.

JustChip

Reaction score
I would vote for the Roy Williams trade as more stupid, he had one year with over 1,000 yards, the two years prior to Dallas getting him he had only 838 and 232 yards receiving, only 6 total tds. And never returned punts. Cowboys gave up a first rounder for him as well as a third and a 6th in the 2009 draft. And he never did anything after he left Dallas, either.

In any case, no shortage of dumb personnel moves by the Cowboys, though that's not unique to Dallas...

I never thought Roy would duplicate his college career to the NFL. He "excelled" at UT, not because of his route running, but his size. Basically, he could out-physical his college competition, but needed more than that at the NFL level (sound familiar?).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I never thought Roy would duplicate his college career to the NFL. He "excelled" at UT, not because of his route running, but his size. Basically, he could out-physical his college competition, but needed more than that at the NFL level (sound familiar?).

JJ wanted Roy based one good year. Then when it didn't pan out, he did the same thing with Austin.

Hopefully JJ is giving up some of his control, we can't have that kind of foolishness...

JustChip

Reaction score
JJ wanted Roy based one good year. Then when it didn't pan out, he did the same thing with Austin.

Hopefully JJ is giving up some of his control, we can't have that kind of foolishness...

And, to a lesser degree, Marion Barber III.

I think Jerry has definitely given up a measure of control. Not drafting Manziel was very telling. He did love Tony, though, so maybe he wouldn't have done it even if he still exercised the same level of involvement as the past.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

It's what we gave up for him that was stupid. Jerry thought we were that close to being contenders.He was living in denial as usual.

Big_D

Reaction score
Again, I'd take off the "very", but agree it wasn't a smart move...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexSh00.htm

Here's what we gave Seattle in return. Look at his first six years??? Shawn Alexanders 89 TDs in 6 years was just the icing while Koren Robinson the other player Seattle took had better numbers than Galloway did in Dallas. It made the Seahawks better and crippled the Cowboys. The very stupid part is placing no value on draft picks. That 'splash' is how Jerry operated because he couldn't draft and develop his own.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Garrett fan, but do you believe the Boys get to the SB in two years with the Eagles coaching staff?
Absolutely NOT. Why? Because Jerry is still the GM.
Lurie sits in the background and let's his coaching staff do their job without interfering. And that alone, wins championships.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexSh00.htm

Here's what we gave Seattle in return. Look at his first six years??? Shawn Alexanders 89 TDs in 6 years was just the icing while Koren Robinson the other player Seattle took had better numbers than Galloway did in Dallas. It made the Seahawks better and crippled the Cowboys. The very stupid part is placing no value on draft picks. That 'splash' is how Jerry operated because he couldn't draft and develop his own.

We just don't agree on the degree of stupid, no problem...

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
There is not a single coach, alive, dead or currently coaching that would have taken those teams in 2011 and 2012 to a SB, let alone won it. Those teams were really really bad football teams. The fact that they were 8-8 is a true testament to both Romo and the coaching. Those teams had no business winning 4 games.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, but how many fans did any of us talk to back then? Not anywhere close like now!!!!

I thought two 1sts was too much, my buddy loved the move.

Also, though, it hadn't been that long since our super bowls, so the prevailing fan attitude was still positive.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is not a single coach, alive, dead or currently coaching that would have taken those teams in 2011 and 2012 to a SB, let alone won it. Those teams were really really bad football teams. The fact that they were 8-8 is a true testament to both Romo and the coaching. Those teams had no business winning 4 games.
Holy crappola, are people really forgetting how bad our OL was back than? And Jerry thought stiffie Sam Young in the 6th and a pile of UFA's was the answer!!!!!! I mean, this was CLEV dummmmm territory.

kskboys

Reaction score

To add in: RoyW made his living on slants and crosses. Those were Romo's worst throws. Yet another example of Jerry making a move based on optimism instead of accurate player evaluation. I bet if you asked Jerry even today that he wouldn't admit that Romo often threw behind on slants and crosses. I know a lot of fans won't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!