For the sake of argument let’s assume we let Dak walk

KB1122

Reaction score
Then what...

Draft a QB . Do we try and move up in draft and what do we give up assuming anyone takes the bait or do we settle for whatever falls in our slot??

And how long until he’s developed assuming our Football Idiots draft someone as good as Dak has been.

Do we extend Dalton or go after another aged veteran QB to tie us over until we find a draft pick as good as we got lucky with Dak.

How many years do we wait to become relevant and interesting again?

Im not sure everyone has thought this thru.

1) Yes, draft a quarterback. Move up if that's where the right guy is. We have a top 10 pick. We have 4 extra picks. When is a better time going to present itself? Do you want to go through another disaster season (or 5) to get back to this position? The alternative would be to re-sign Dak, probably have a few good seasons, but no trophies to show for it, then have a gap of a few years where quarterback is a huge question mark. Realize Dak is going to be either an elite quarterback or a Dalton-esque journeyman in 2 years, when he turns 30. So we're already near a possible transition point. And I don't expect a better opportunity to present itself before then.

2) I want to bring in competition. See my recent post about dynasties being built on quarterback competition and not quarterback "friendliness," as this team has been trying to do.

3) Usually an elite quarterback is the starter by roughly the middle of the second year (or earlier), unless he's being held back by another elite quarterback. or Tom Landry.

4) I'm never in favor of signing a veteran backup until you're a real contender that has won playoff games. Until then, you're just stuffing extra money into an unnecessary position. And you're shooting yourself in the foot re: draft capital. If your quarterback goes down for 2 or 3 games, you hand the ball off, play tough D, and go 2-1. If your quarterback goes down in game 5 of the season, you should want to lose as many games as you can.

5) Yes, I've thought this out a lot.

Last edited:

KB1122

Reaction score
Use a stop-gap veteran like Dalton and draft a QB, possibly trading up to get the best one possible. It's a risk, but every choice in the NFL is a risk, including paying a handsome price to keep Dak. Either way, you could succeed or crash and burn. It's always a calculated risk.

The one possible advantage of having the owner as the GM and the owner's son as the brain trust is that such persons can take risks that other GMs can't. But we don't.

KB1122

Reaction score
Dak has been in the top five in passer rating one time in five years. For comparison, Roger led the league 4 times and was second on a fifth occasion in roughly 8 years as a starter. So quoting stats to support Dak doesn't work that well.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Dak has been in the top five in passer rating one time in five years. For comparison, Roger led the league 4 times and was second on a fifth occasion in roughly 8 years as a starter. So quoting stats to support Dak doesn't work that well.

How many times did Aikman crack a top 5?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1) Yes, draft a quarterback. Move up if that's where the right guy is. We have a top 10 pick. We have 4 extra picks. When is a better time going to present itself? Do you want to go through another disaster season (or 5) to get back to this position? The alternative would be to re-sign Dak, probably have a few good seasons, but no trophies to show for it, then have a gap of a few years where quarterback is a huge question mark. Realize Dak is going to be either an elite quarterback or a Dalton-esque journeyman in 2 years, when he turns 30. So we're already near a possible transition point. And I don't expect a better opportunity to present itself before then.

2) I want to bring in competition. See my recent post about dynasties being built on quarterback competition and not quarterback "friendliness," as this team has been trying to do.

3) Usually an elite quarterback is the starter by roughly the middle of the second year (or earlier), unless he's being held back by another elite quarterback. or Tom Landry.

4) I'm never in favor of signing a veteran backup until you're a real contender that has won playoff games. Until then, you're just stuffing extra money into an unnecessary position. And you're shooting yourself in the foot re: draft capital. If your quarterback goes down for 2 or 3 games, you hand the ball off, play tough D, and go 2-1. If your quarterback goes down in game 5 of the season, you should want to lose as many games as you can.

5) Yes, I've thought this out a lot.
What do you think about Jimmy’s suggestion. Signing Dak and drafting a QB.

KB1122

Reaction score
What do you think about Jimmy’s suggestion. Signing Dak and drafting a QB.

If we don't trade for Wilson or Rodgers, then I'm 100 percent in favor. That would be my preferred route.

I have a thread around here from last week about how most of the NFL dynasties start out with an elite quarterback winning a competition against a successful veteran or another high draft pick.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The gap with and without dak isn’t very big. It’s not the end of the world if Dallas decides to move on. That same could have been said with Romo era.

Completely disagree but I know why you said it.

The disconnect is it's not the QB gap that we've ever had a problem with, it's the defensive gap that we have never filled. For most or Romo's career we were a top ten Points Per Drive team and a bottom 5 Defensive Passer Rating team. Those two statistics are some of the most correlative stats to winning, especially in the playoffs because you face better QB's. You have to score and stop.

Romo's 35,000 yards and 250 TD's doesn't grow on trees.

Same with Dak, his production is meaningless if we cannot get off the field. We had the most explosive offense in the league before he got hurt.

You can make the playoffs with average QB play (Goff, Jackson, Mayfield) but you can rarely win a Super Bowl with average QB play which is what you are suggesting we can get away with.

Look at this year's Championship teams

Mahomes - Allen - Brady - Rodgers (which by the way goes back to the Def. Pass Rating).

I would give up being explosive for being more efficient but there must be a huge improvement in the defense or it'll be rinse and repeat for another ten years.

plasticman

Reaction score
If a team doesn't want to pay their young, two time Pro Bowler, record breaking, double threat, winning quarterback that ignites a very exciting passing offense.....well then.....they better have a really dominant defense if they expect to win.

And since we are discussing the Cowboys....

irving

Reaction score
"SB wins are a team stat"

"Defenses win SBs"

If you guys truly believed this, the best bet would be to sign Andy Dalton to a 10M per year contract, Draft the best available QB at 10..

Then Use the 30M saved on Dak to sign the top DT, Safety, or DE and build a top defense that way.

If you pay Dak, we will remain mediocre and by the time we "fix" the defense, the Oline will be in shambles and it become the new weakness holding us back.. Rinse and repeat.

A real "franchise QB" is supposed to make up for a lack of talent on the offensive side.
Most QBs are NOT real franchise QBs Dak included.

This isnt Madden. This is the Salary Cap era and no team can have superstars in every position.
Franchise quarterbacks don’t win Super Bowls alone, teams have to be complete on both sides of the ball and have good coaching. Being good on offense and deficient on defense , special teams or coaching leads to failure.

irving

Reaction score
The best thing Dak can do is get out of Dallas, he would be lucky to end up on a team like the WFT . Doesn’t matter who Jerry brings in, Wilson or some highly drafted rookie, they will still be on a team led by Jerry and his son.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dalton go spanked by two playoff teams and an average team. he collected stats agaisnt 3 4 win teams, with their back up QBs and defense chipping in some scoring, and 9 turnovers.....Dalton was sucky to say the least. he folds in big moments and that's been his history.

Correct, he folds in big games, but that doesn't affect the fact that he had little time with the team and the o-line was in shambles. Are you saying none of that affected his play?
If so then I strongly disagree, but if it did I also strongly disagree he'd not be better this coming year...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Correct, he folds in big games, but that doesn't affect the fact that he had little time with the team and the o-line was in shambles. Are you saying none of that affected his play?
If so then I strongly disagree, but if it did I also strongly disagree he'd not be better this coming year...
he ain't getting better with age. he is only going to get worse.....Dalton sucks, there is no hoping, wishing, crossing our fingers, clicking your heels and wishing you were back in kansas with Dalton. he sucked at the end in Cinci. He sucked last year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
he ain't getting better with age. he is only going to get worse.....Dalton sucks, there is no hoping, wishing, crossing our fingers, clicking your heels and wishing you were back in kansas with Dalton. he sucked at the end in Cinci. He sucked last year.

Well I don't agree, even Brady took about half the season to get in sync with his receivers, Gronk as well. Dalton's obviously not of Brady's caliber, and has only about half the time in the league, so for him to just drop in and become anything approaching good enough to lead this team.

Not saying I want him to be the starter if Dak isn't resigned, or that he's a top-10 or 15 quarterback, just that however he is, skill-wise, with more off-season he'd have done better...

StuckMojo

Reaction score
overpaying by how much? 3, 4M? is that a deal breaker in such a way to go fishing for the next QB, only to waste a few years and then finding one developing and only not want to pay and go through all of it again..

everyone keeps talking about wanting to build a D and that Dak's contract is a show stopper...are you planning to build a D through FA? you know all FA are over priced. so you are ok over paying for a defensive player and still needing 5 more players, but not over pay for Dak, the key to all of the offense...

he accepted what was offered. in fact he wanted less. Jones offered a 5 year deal. Dak said 4 years.....
But didn’t he want the same guaranteed money for 4 years that was offered on the 5 year offer?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well I don't agree, even Brady took about half the season to get in sync with his receivers, Gronk as well. Dalton's obviously not of Brady's caliber, and has only about half the time in the league, so for him to just drop in and become anything approaching good enough to lead this team.

Not saying I want him to be the starter if Dak isn't resigned, or that he's a top-10 or 15 quarterback, just that however he is, skill-wise, with more off-season he'd have done better...
there are more, way more examples of QBs getting worse with age than the exception called Brady. he is the GOAT. Dalton's history has been one of failure when pressure is on and we saw the same thing in dallas. He is fading quickly. he is no Brady. he is not the type of QB that is going to lead you to anything, as his post season record and his record when the games matter is dismal.....Dalton is now a back up or a bridge to your next rookie QB starting.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But didn’t he want the same guaranteed money for 4 years that was offered on the 5 year offer?
I believe the 5 year offer had more money, but the key was the 5th year. Dak (his agent) wanted to hit FA sooner than later. in 2023 when cap is expected to go up by 20% (and the expected salary market). Jones wanted to keep him for that 5th year, obviously on a lower price. I think Jones made a mistake. he could have signed him to the 4 year contract. then franchised him for that 5th year, whoch would have been based on previous year's salaries and would have in essence got him the 5 year option. the only thing was the small cap flexibility you would get with a 5 year deal.

Swagger

Reaction score
You dont let him walk.

You mutually sing him to a tag and then trade him to the trade partner both parties accept.

If you want to draft TL this year you trade Dak to the Jags for their first. You probably need to throw your #10 pick in too.

Or you trade him for 2 firsts get a veteran QB for 2 years and draft your franchise QB in 2022.

Anyways you'll compete for a championship rather earlier than never.
Can we not just tag him, as surely given he's coming off a serious leg injury he would be pleased to sign another $37 million guaranteed over a year, he just received $31 million for playing 4 games, and then trade him to whomever we decide?