Video: For those of you concerned about the Giants

nobody

Reaction score
im not here to defend that clown. i'm the first one that said we were making a mistake bringing him back while others were saying he'd be better with a full year under the system.

my point is despite dak being better than weeden, i'm still not convinced the coaches know how to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. i also don't think this defense will stop anyone. he has a oline, skill players, and a solid fg kicker....that's a good start. i think the weeden situation shows it's more important to have a great defense to keep you in games and coaches that gameplan victories. we get nothing from our head coach on gameday.

I think that Dak listens to Romo in a way other backups never did. I think Romo will be the one to guide him into maximizing his strengths. This defense was never intended to stop yardage. It was intended to force field goals. We might be okay if the offense can score TD's this year.

Zordon

Reaction score
Weeden won a single start in Houston, and that was against the Titans.

One game. One.
One more than he won here..you know the place he was for 2 years learning and getting comfortable with the offensive system. :rolleyes:

You guys think I'm defending Weeden, I'm really crapping on these coaches. Garrett better not have the same deer in the headlights look with Dak.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We need to at least someone split those two early divisional games

bsbellomy

Reaction score
One more than he won here..you know the place he was for 2 years learning and getting comfortable with the offensive system. :rolleyes:

You guys think I'm defending Weeden, I'm really crapping on these coaches. Garrett better not have the same deer in the headlights look with Dak.

Do you happen to remember a game last year we scored 28 points in the first half and still lost? That's not on the coaches.

jday

Reaction score
Well if that's the case, explain Weeden winning in Houston...
I wouldn't necessarily describe that as winning. But armed with your definition, you should love the Cowboys this year.

jday

Reaction score
We'll found out everything when the regular season starts. In 89 the Cowboys looked pretty good in preseason and so did Aikman. He had over 300 yards vs I believe Houston but once the regular season started it was a DIFFERENT story. As for our defense our DL looks like a bunch of stiffs. We might not be able to stop the run or the pass with this group. I don't like our defense and it will have to win me over with some solid CONSISTENT play.
It's not always going to look pretty, but they'll get the job done.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Any time the Cowboys have won...which wasn't a heck of lot last year, but that is about to change.

It was mostly the offense that won games last season. In the opener it was entirely the offense led by Romo's 356 yards and 3 TD's yards. The defense was about to get us beat as the Giants gashed us on the ground in the closing minutes moving the ball to our one yard line but a clock management gaffe saved us as did Romo's last ditch drive. The only game we won where the defense played well was in week 2 vs Philly who could do nothing offensively. It was more their offense being horrible than our defense playing great. Our D is a liability until proven otherwise.

jday

Reaction score
It was mostly the offense that won games last season. In the opener it was entirely the offense led by Romo's 356 yards and 3 TD's yards. The defense was about to get us beat as the Giants gashed us on the ground in the closing minutes moving the ball to our one yard line but a clock management gaffe saved us as did Romo's last ditch drive. The only game we won where the defense played well was in week 2 vs Philly who could do nothing offensively. It was more their offense being horrible than our defense playing great. Our D is a liability until proven otherwise.
I think you may be over-simplifying a defenses contribution. You are suggesting that a defense either helps or it doesn't. But this notion disregards the individual contributions of all the players that make up the defense. It only take one person making a mistake to a lose a ball game...but it takes everyone to put you in that situation to lose the ball to begin with. Had the defense not helped, it would be as though the Giants where playing against no one and scored at will. That was not the case.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think you may be over-simplifying a defenses contribution. You are suggesting that a defense either helps or it doesn't. But this notion disregards the individual contributions of all the players that make up the defense. It only take one person making a mistake to a lose a ball game...but it takes everyone to put you in that situation to lose the ball to begin with. Had the defense not helped, it would be as though the Giants where playing against no one and scored at will. That was not the case.

Our defense isn't consistent for every play we make we give up 2-3 plays. Our offense gets us the lead in games and our defense gives it back. We coughed up three 14 point leads vs an Atlanta team last season that didn't even make the playoffs. The defense has a job and I've lost track of how many games we've blown because we couldn't make one critical stop in the closing minutes to protect a lead. Our D killed us vs the Packers in the playoffs in 2014. Our offense played good enough to win but we had no pass rush, couldn't tackle or make critical stops against a one legged Aaron Rodgers. What I've seen in preseason is the same thing I've been seeing.

Every year FANS think the defense is going to be a lot better only to see a repeat of the same crap. If we don't get some resemblance of a pass rush this season our secondary will get toasted. As talented as our offense is our defense is the complete opposite. I'm not making any predictions that the defense will be terrible this season but it still looks like it's going to be a liability like it has been unless it surprises. What have you seen in preseason that gives you hope the defense will get the job done?

jday

Reaction score
Our defense isn't consistent for every play we make we give up 2-3 plays. Our offense gets us the lead in games and our defense gives it back. We coughed up three 14 point leads vs an Atlanta team last season that didn't even make the playoffs. The defense has a job and I've lost track of how many games we've blown because we couldn't make one critical stop in the closing minutes to protect a lead. Our D killed us vs the Packers in the playoffs in 2014. Our offense played good enough to win but we had no pass rush, couldn't tackle or make critical stops against a one legged Aaron Rodgers. What I've seen in preseason is the same thing I've been seeing.

Every year FANS think the defense is going to be a lot better only to see a repeat of the same crap. If we don't get some resemblance of a pass rush this season our secondary will get toasted. As talented as our offense is our defense is the complete opposite. I'm not making any predictions that the defense will be terrible this season but it still looks like it's going to be a liability like it has been unless it surprises. What have you seen in preseason that gives you hope the defense will get the job done?
They have generated pressure. They have affected the opposing QB. No we haven't seen awhole lot of sacks as a result, but we have seen the opposition punt. Team's don't punt if the opposition doesn't have a passrush.

As for 2015, you can pretty much throw it out when attempting to predict what they will be this year. Those circumstances dictated alot of issues for the defense. Furthermore, at the end of the year, the Cowboys were still middle of the pack...that's really all this offense is going to need this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They have generated pressure. They have affected the opposing QB. No we haven't seen awhole lot of sacks as a result, but we have seen several 3 and outs. 3 and outs don't happen without pressure. Period.

As for 2015, you can pretty much throw it out when attempting to predict what they will be this year. Those circumstances dictated alot of issues for the defense. Furthermore, at the end of the year, the Cowboys were still middle of the pack...that's really all this offense is going to need this year.

I haven't seen consistent pressure and I saw no pass rush last week with DLaw and Mayowa who the team will be counting heavily on. It's easy to predict we're not going to have a consistent pass rush when you look at our personnel and know that Hardy is gone and our 2 starting DEs are suspended the first 4 games. You give even an average QB time and they'll make plays. We saw Colt McCoy in 2014 shred us because we couldn't get pressure on him. We won 12 games that year because of our offense led by 2 MVP candidates.

mattjames2010

Reaction score