Video: For those of you concerned about the Giants

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are really hung up on the Cowboys win/loss ratio without Romo...and I'm not even sure it's applicable in this conversation because no back up in the history of back ups while Romo has been on this team has looked even half as good as Dak has for the exception of Romo himself. Now I get it. It was in preseason. But, like I said in another response, what Dak is doing does translate to the regular season. The bulk of his work has been against the other teams starters, so I'm not sure what will be different against the Giants. For him, I suspect, it will be business as usual and business will be very good. But, again, that's just what I thinks gonna happen...and what do I know?

Even Romo went 8-8 three straight seasons primarily because of the defense. A lot of his struggles/turnovers were due to having to do too much because we can't stop anyone. Dak has looked great in PRESEASON but if he's having to do what Romo has had to do for the Cowboys to win games he's going to have a rough go. Russell Wilson had a great defense in Seattle and didn't have to play perfect every week for the Seahawks to win games. The Cowboys need great play by their QB to win games.

Weeden played a very solid game against NO last season but we couldn't stop Brees and their offense. Every time we score our D gives it right back. It's not going to be business as usual for Dak during the regular season like it was in preseason. He may play well but he's going to make rookie mistakes that will hurt us a times. He had everything go his way in preseason including one INT called back due to a penalty and another sure INT that Whitehead defended.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Even Romo went 8-8 three straight seasons primarily because of the defense. A lot of his struggles/turnovers were due to having to do too much because we can't stop anyone. Dak has looked great in PRESEASON but if he's having to do what Romo has had to do for the Cowboys to win games he's going to have a rough go. Russell Wilson had a great defense in Seattle and didn't have to play perfect every week for the Seahawks to win games. The Cowboys need great play by their QB to win games.

Weeden played a very solid game against NO last season but we couldn't stop Brees and their offense. Every time we score our D gives it right back. It's not going to be business as usual for Dak during the regular season like it was in preseason. He may play well but he's going to make rookie mistakes that will hurt us a times. He had everything go his way in preseason including one INT called back due to a penalty and another sure INT that Whitehead defended.
We're still going to have to score about 30 ppg because of our defense. It's going to be tough.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's where I'm at in this conversation. lol. Kudos to you sir. I hope you are wrong...and I'm sure you do too!

What am I going to be wrong about Dak playing as great in the regular season as he did in preseason? If he plays in the regular season as flawlessly as he did in preseason and suffers no turnovers than I'll be wrong. I don't see us having a consistent pass rush this season and if we better our sack total from last season than I'll be wrong.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We're still going to have to score about 30 ppg because of our defense. It's going to be tough.

We won't have to score 30 ppg but we're going to have to score a lot and that's what some don't realize. Dak may play well but because we're having to score to stay in games it's going to lead to a number of rookie mistakes. If we're able to run the ball which we should and the defense is better than expected that will keep the score down. We're going to have to limit the exposure of our defense.

jday

Reaction score
What am I going to be wrong about Dak playing as great in the regular season as he did in preseason? If he plays in the regular season as flawlessly as he did in preseason and suffers no turnovers than I'll be wrong. I don't see us having a consistent pass rush this season and if we better our sack total from last season than I'll be wrong.
Okay, than there is possibility we could both be right. I never said he was going to be "flawless.". I just think he is good enough to keep the ship afloat and keep a winning record.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Okay, than there is possibility we could both be right. I never said he was going to be "flawless.". I just think he is good enough to keep the ship afloat and keep a winning record.

I agree with you there provided we get some solid defensive play. He's going to have a solid running game there's no doubt in my mind about that unless we have injuries at RB and on the OL, it's the defense I'm concerned about. He's going to need some help if he's going to have success. If Dak is having to put it up 45 times like Romo did in the season opener last year we're gonna be in trouble. If we can manage him we have a chance but that's going to depend on our defense and our running game.

jday

Reaction score
I agree with you there provided we get some solid defensive play. He's going to have a solid running game there's no doubt in my mind about that unless we have injuries at RB and on the OL, it's the defense I'm concerned about. He's going to need some help if he's going to have success. If Dak is having to put it up 45 times like Romo did in the season opener last year we're gonna be in trouble. If we can manage him we have a chance but that's going to depend on our defense and our running game.
Be honest - how many teams have a better offensive support system than the Cowboys? With health, easily top 5 run game. And that is excluding Dak keepers. I think the defense is better than what most people think. Many people don't understand what a "bend don't break" defensive concept entails. The Cowboys will concede the field to an extent. Which means opposing teams will look good in yardage, but overall the score won't match because they will fight to prevent touchdowns. The idea being ultimately to force them to bring field goals to a Touchdown fight.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's funny, was just on the Giants board a little while ago. They aren't too thrilled with their team. Looks like there is a hate train going on with their top 10 pick from last year. Flowers apparently sucks at tackle.

jday

Reaction score
It's funny, was just on the Giants board a little while ago. They aren't too thrilled with their team. Looks like there is a hate train going on with their top 10 pick from last year. Flowers apparently sucks at tackle.
That is what I'm trying to tell people. I understand that Romo is not playing, but I think the Giants fans would take our problems over theirs right now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Be honest - how many teams have a better offensive support system than the Cowboys? With health, easily top 5 run game.

Other teams can win games and make the playoffs with their backup QB, we saw several teams do it last season and the Cowboys haven't been able to despite their offensive support system. There's not many teams that depend on their QB to win games as much as the Cowboys which is why the team is 1-13 without Romo the past three seasons.

jday

Reaction score
Other teams can win games and make the playoffs with their backup QB, we saw several teams do it last season and the Cowboys haven't been able to despite their offensive support system. There's not many teams that depend on their QB to win games as much as the Cowboys which is why the team is 1-13 without Romo the past three seasons.
I suspect this team and Dak are different from the previous swings at it. Do you remember what those games looked like without Romo, preseason and regular season? It featured QBs with no poise, no pocket presence, no courage to throw further than 5 yards...a complete catalogue of ineptitude at the QB position. Now if you factor the four years that Dak played in college where he was win personified for a small little engine that could SEC bottom feeder with a team grossly more talented than any team he has ever played with you should see this team is capable of greatness...but again, you are going have to see it to believe it, so we are back to square one.

Zordon

Reaction score
I suspect this team and Dak are different from the previous swings at it. Do you remember what those games looked like without Romo, preseason and regular season? It featured QBs with no poise, no pocket presence, no courage to throw further than 5 yards...a complete catalogue of ineptitude at the QB position. Now if you factor the four years that Dak played in college where he was win personified for a small little engine that could SEC bottom feeder with a team grossly more talented than any team he has ever played with you should see this team is capable of greatness...but again, you are going have to see it to believe it, so we are back to square one.
Well if that's the case, explain Weeden winning in Houston...

nobody

Reaction score
Well if that's the case, explain Weeden winning in Houston...

I don't remember Weeden killing it in the playoffs and helping Houston win the SB. Did I jump into a parallel reality where this happened? Weeden is not a good QB and never will be.

Zordon

Reaction score
I don't remember Weeden killing it in the playoffs and helping Houston win the SB. Did I jump into a parallel reality where this happened? Weeden is not a good QB and never will be.
1 td, 2 int in the 3 games he started for us. 3 tds, 0 ints in the 2 games he started for the texans. we didn't need "killing it" from him. if he gave us those HOU numbers, we probably win the ATL and NO games.

nobody

Reaction score
1 td, 2 int in the 3 games he started for us. 3 tds, 0 ints in the 2 games he started for the texans. we didn't need "killing it" from him. if he gave us those HOU numbers, we probably win the ATL and NO games.

Like someone said to me, he was way too busy padding his QBR so he could audition for a fat contract to worry about winning. He pretty much has all the wrong stuff and will NEVER be a good QB.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Weeden threw a total of 18 passes in the game against the Colts. He averaged 5 yards a pass. Score: 16-10. With a score that low, tell me, which side of the ball is responsible for the win? Weeden then went on to have a decent against against the Titans. But again, defense gave up 6 points and scored multiple times on turnovers.

This continues to come up from the usueal suspects. I'm sick of reading it, give context about those games or don't even bother bringing it up. Actually, here, you can watch the highlights. You can thank me for providing all of this for you, since you weren't going to.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015122004/2015/REG15/texans@colts/watch#menu=gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000608349&tab=recap

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20151...ameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000610607&tab=videos

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Like someone said to me, he was way too busy padding his QBR so he could audition for a fat contract to worry about winning. He pretty much has all the wrong stuff and will NEVER be a good QB.

Weeden has a "woe is me" attitude. Every single interview I saw him in I wish i was there to slap him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We'll found out everything when the regular season starts. In 89 the Cowboys looked pretty good in preseason and so did Aikman. He had over 300 yards vs I believe Houston but once the regular season started it was a DIFFERENT story. As for our defense our DL looks like a bunch of stiffs. We might not be able to stop the run or the pass with this group. I don't like our defense and it will have to win me over with some solid CONSISTENT play.

Zordon

Reaction score
im not here to defend that clown. i'm the first one that said we were making a mistake bringing him back while others were saying he'd be better with a full year under the system.

my point is despite dak being better than weeden, i'm still not convinced the coaches know how to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. i also don't think this defense will stop anyone. he has a oline, skill players, and a solid fg kicker....that's a good start. i think the weeden situation shows it's more important to have a great defense to keep you in games and coaches that gameplan victories. we get nothing from our head coach on gameday.