For those of you who would like Carpenter over Cromartie

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Why is the Cromartie talk out of hand?

Wanting Carpenter is great but is he truly "value" at 18 or a reach? Apply the same for Cromartie.

Cromartie 100% we arent even in the ballpark. He would assuredly go top ten and probably top 5.

Carpenter 100% may be valued with the 18th pick. Would you take him over Greenway,Lawson,et all?

Drafting Carpenter in round one is basically throwing away Burnett. When healthy, who is the better player?? I put my cash on Burnett at this point.

Drafting Cromartie strengthens 2 positions with one move. It strenghens your FS position moving Henry there who has proven he can play there and it strengthens your nickel coverage.

Glenn is up after this year. Having Cromartie not being forcefed the position makes his transition seamless, a perfect learning environment.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
Why is the Cromartie talk out of hand?

Wanting Carpenter is great but is he truly "value" at 18 or a reach? Apply the same for Cromartie.

Cromartie 100% we arent even in the ballpark. He would assuredly go top ten and probably top 5.

Carpenter 100% may be valued with the 18th pick. Would you take him over Greenway,Lawson,et all?

Drafting Carpenter in round one is basically throwing away Burnett. When healthy, who is the better player?? I put my cash on Burnett at this point.

Drafting Cromartie strengthens 2 positions with one move. It strenghens your FS position moving Henry there who has proven he can play there and it strengthens your nickel coverage.

Glenn is up after this year. Having Cromartie not being forcefed the position makes his transition seamless, a perfect learning environment.

It isn't even as simple as Carpenter versus Cromartie. They both have their downsides.

But even if Cromartie was 100%, the inexperience is enough for me to pass up with the eighteen pick in the draft. That alone makes him more of a "reach" than Carpenter would be on his worst day.

I guess only starting one game doesn't bother anyone else. It does me.

So assume we move Henry. You are telling me we start Cromartie or Glenn?

Glenn is very good as a spot starter, but I would rather have him at nickel corner where he was best. I would also rather have Henry at corner, where he was best.

What you do with Cromartie is create a problem in an attempt to solve the FS problem.

If you want a cornerback so bad, fine. Take another who has started more than one game his entire college career. Take another who isn't completely overhyped off his workout numbers.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:

OMG. You can't be serious. Top 5? Gimme a break.

Then you'd lose your cash. Besides, BP has stated he wants to move Burnett inside. So how is drafting an OLB throwing him away?

Move a GOOD CB to FS (a position of lesser importance)? Yeah, that's smart.

We need Henry at CB. He was having a probowl season till he got hurt. Moving him to FS would be dumb. And I like the idea of Henry matching up against big WRs more then I'd like to see Glenn or a rookie in those matchups.

wxcpo

Reaction score
I can't believe anyone is actually even thinking that drafting Cromartie at 18 would be a steal, yet taking Carpenter at 18 would be a reach. I would agree that Carpenter at 18 is a slight reach, but I will be really surprised if Carpenter is there after New England at 21. Count me as one that hopes I don't hear Dallas call Cromatie's name at all, I think there is equally talented players at the position that don't have the risk involved that we could slide down in round one and grab. Now if Cromartie is there with our round 2 pick then maybe we take the risk, but even then I think we would have to all hold our breath and hope.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:
It isn't even as simple as Carpenter versus Cromartie. They both have their downsides.

But even if Cromartie was 100%, the inexperience is enough for me to pass up with the eighteen pick in the draft. That alone makes him more of a "reach" than Carpenter would be on his worst day.

I guess only starting one game doesn't bother anyone else. It does me.

So assume we move Henry. You are telling me we start Cromartie or Glenn?

Glenn is very good as a spot starter, but I would rather have him at nickel corner where he was best. I would also rather have Henry at corner, where he was best.

What you do with Cromartie is create a problem in an attempt to solve the FS problem.

If you want a cornerback so bad, fine. Take another who has started more than one game his entire college career. Take another who isn't completely overhyped off his workout numbers.

Bingo. The thought of drafting a guy in the first that has started 1 game scares me half to death.

Sure, he's fast. He jumps high. He is also injured and seriously lacking in experience. 1 start!

Carpenter has 26 starts.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Deja vu.

See my post #14, in response to you already telling me this.

I think I got it.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't read far enough. I had seen you make this comment before.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Pro Bowl Corners dont look like this

257554.jpg

Cowboy Willie

Reaction score
Cromartie is also comming off a pretty nasty injury in which he hasn't played in awhile. Wouldn't mind either, but I'd like Carpenter at #18. I'd like to see us pick up Hester from the U in the 3rd or 4th round. Wants to be a DB, can return punts right away, and could potentially be our future starting corner.
I just hope we draft wisely.

btcutter

Reaction score
Alexander said:
You are being too kind. You are comparing a player who has started one game to another who has started around 10 times that or more (I am not sure how many games Carpenter started).

This Cromartie talk is getting out of hand. It really is.

I agree it is. However, Matt Jones was picked in the first round as a WR so anything can happen.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Moving him to FS would be dumb

These numbers say otherwise

10 177 17.7 97 1 7

10 Pick
177 return yards for a 17.7 avg
1 TD
7 PBU

These werent from a cornerback position ;)

ghst187

Reaction score
Carpenter suited up for the Fiesta Bowl against the Irish but he didn't play. He just suited up because he was a senior and a leader but everyone knew he couldn't play and he didn't.
Carpenter sure isn't slow, he ran like a 4.5 or 4.6, either one isn't slow. And he ran that while still not being back to 100%.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
Pro Bowl Corners dont look like this

257554.jpg

So are you implying that every CB that made the probowl this year didn't get beat at anytime during the season? Not a single one of them ever gave up a big play?

These numbers say otherwise

10 177 17.7 97 1 7

10 Pick
177 return yards for a 17.7 avg
1 TD
7 PBU

These werent from a cornerback position

Yes, they were. Most of them anyway.

Bizwah

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Do you think he will be there in the 2nd? Someone might just be intrigued with his combination of size and speed and burn a late first on him. Jonathan Joseph is also another intriguing prospect if he can make it to the 2nd round.

If Cromartie isn't there in round two.....so be it.

This reminds me of car shopping.

The salesman will say, "hey, this car may not be here if you come back tomorrow".

I usually say, "Big deal, there'll be another car"....or "then I guess I won't get the car".

You can't take a player because he may not be there later. If a player shouldn't go at pick 18, then find a player that should.

Reaching gets you players like Tony Dixon.

Alexander

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
If Cromartie isn't there in round two.....so be it.

This reminds me of car shopping.

The salesman will say, "hey, this car may not be here if you come back tomorrow".

I usually say, "Big deal, there'll be another car"....or "then I guess I won't get the car".

You can't take a player because he may not be there later. If a player shouldn't go at pick 18, then find a player that should.

Reaching gets you players like Tony Dixon.

But this is like the salesman saying it can go from zero to sixty in nothing flat, but it was nearly totalled in a wreck last year. And oh, by the way, there is no warranty. But you better get this car because someone else might.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Alexander said:
But this is like the salesman saying it can go from zero to sixty in nothing flat, but it was nearly totalled in a wreck last year. And oh, by the way, there is no warranty. But you better get this car because someone else might.

I like Jonathan Joseph more anyway. If Cromartie or Joseph make it to the 2nd round, then I woould rather take one of them at 49 than a FS.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Or.....

The engineers drove this car once and it seemed fast.....until the wheel fell off. :laugh2:

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
since this thread is for all the people who go Carpenter > Cromartie

this is for all those people who think a good LB needs to run a 4.4. 1 carpenter was at 4.5-4.6 in his 40. but who the hell cares about 40 time.

A LB who can read a play well and run a 4.5 40 (since u think 40 times matter so ******** much) > a LB who runs a 4.4 but cant read the play as well.

my point is the ability to read a play better > speed. and either way a slow 40 for a linebacker doesnt mean much, im sorry but the only _ _ - Dash that matters for a LB is the 10Y-Dash.

this is like comparing a fast reciever who cant run routes to Jerry Rice, who is slow but runs perfect routes, this is how he gets seperation. just how a linebacker gets to the ball faster by reading the play and knowing where it goes instead of having a fast step in the wrong direction.

now 1 question really quickly, would you rather have the guy who has the first step in the right direction everytime or the guy who has a fast step in the wrong direction occasionally?

Alexander

Reaction score
junk said:
Or.....

The engineers drove this car once and it seemed fast.....until the wheel fell off. :laugh2:

They put it back on, yet we are still missing a lugnut. But nevermind that, are you going to buy this or not? I had a guy looking at it this morning.