For Those That Like Not Signing Free Agents And Say Its The Best Way, Why Do The Good Teams Do It?

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
We still took a bigger cap hit cutting DWare- 8.5m in Dead Money than they would have created by restructuring him and keeping him

Can you show me the math on this one? What was the proposed restructure?

Sydla

Reaction score
Who are you arguing against, here? We let Murray walk, we let Hitchens walk, we let Ware walk, we let Leary walk. We've been getting quality comp picks every year.

Be specific. Who did we re-sign that we shouldn't have, outside of Crawford?

I agree, but this is a different conversation/critique.

Yes, and we should strive for that. But unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of having the GOAT count for 14M against the cap.

The Pats make the call at the individual level. They opened the bank for core guys, Gronk and Soldier, etc. We've had more of those guys to make that call on. I'm not convinced the Pats wouldn't have also viewed Smith, Frederick, and Martin as their core guys as well.

Why assume that they wouldn't tie up so much along the O-line? Perhaps they simply didn't have that luxury. What young, all-pro offensive lineman walk after their rookie contract?

It's not about who we shouldn't have resigned at this point but looking forward. We are told we can't sign any FAs worth anything because we have to sign all our own players.

- Let's start with Elliott. I wouldn't sign him long term. Partly because I think you can win (and this is shown with other teams' success) without having an elite TB, partly because I worry about the decline in production as he gets into his late 20s.

- I am also not ready to hand Dak a big contract either at this point. Make him play out his rookie year contract and then tag him if you have to. I am not sure what the rush is for these guys to get him signed long term, especially if they are going to pay him a top QB contract. I get rushing to pay him early if there is a nice team friendly deal out there to be made (I guess we will find out on this).

- Cooper has to be resigned because you traded a #1 pick and signing him long term lowers his cap hit this year.

- I think you have to resign Lawrence. We were an average pass rushing team in 2018 even with him and not having him around would make it even worse. Throw in Gregory likely being out and we are in a tough spot at DE. However, I would definitely have entertained the trade market for him and saw what his value is. But that plan should have been put in motion a week ago so you had a plan laid out where if you traded Lawrence, then you could turn to FA and get a guy like Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith as a bit of insurance at DE and then maybe a lower tiered guy like Cameron Wake and then drafted a DE in the draft. But now they are stuck.

PS - Brady was a $22MM cap hit last year and is $27MM this year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
95% of fans hated Carr and that deal and blamed him for 5 years for every free agent we didn't go after.

And in any case that was always the right deal and right time... Young player, right kind of guy andat premium position of need. It seems the Cowboys being thoughtful on their big signings has. .. Worked out.
Meanwhile fanbase wants the FO to be less thoughtful. That makes sense?
We all turned on Carr because the FO used him as the excuse for not signing anyone even though he had 6 INTs his first 2 years and had caps of 3.8m and 6m

He played 96% of the D snaps for 5 years and was consistently consistent

He should not be the poster boy for bad FA signings

That would be Thornton ,Carroll, RW11(after the trade)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That was only very recent history

Every other season he has never exceeded 15m in cap charges

He has given more sweet deals to Kraft than an Asian Massage parlor

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
It's not about who we shouldn't have resigned at this point but looking forward. We are told we can't sign any FAs worth anything because we have to sign all our own players.

- Let's start with Elliott. I wouldn't sign him long term. Partly because I think you can win (and this is shown with other teams' success) without having an elite TB, partly because I worry about the decline in production as he gets into his late 20s.

- I am also not ready to hand Dak a big contract either at this point. Make him play out his rookie year contract and then tag him if you have to. I am not sure what the rush is for these guys to get him signed long term, especially if they are going to pay him a top QB contract. I get rushing to pay him early if there is a nice team friendly deal out there to be made (I guess we will find out on this).

- Cooper has to be resigned because you traded a #1 pick and signing him long term lowers his cap hit this year.

- I think you have to resign Lawrence. We were an average pass rushing team in 2018 even with him and not having him around would make it even worse. Throw in Gregory likely being out and we are in a tough spot at DE. However, I would definitely have entertained the trade market for him and saw what his value is. But that plan should have been put in motion a week ago so you had a plan laid out where if you traded Lawrence, then you could turn to FA and get a guy like Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith as a bit of insurance at DE and then maybe a lower tiered guy like Cameron Wake and then drafted a DE in the draft. But now they are stuck.

We're kind of in a unique spot. We've got a lot of young, high end talent coming up for extensions, in addition to having previously locked up our 3 young hogs. Most teams don't have that "problem". Most teams can spend money today without it potentially costing them a pro-bowler currently on their roster. We have to very seriously consider that.

As for specifics, I agree with you across the board.

I agree on Elliott. Franchise him - twice if we have to - them wish him luck.

I agree on Dak. If he'll sign for what Foles got, I'd do it. Any more than that and I'd prefer to play the waiting game.

Give Cooper his money.

I'd have traded Lawrence for a 1st, but we don't know if that was an option. And we don't know what homework the FO did, in the regard. Maybe they looked into and the market just wasn't there.

In addition to the above, I'd start negotiations with Byron and Jaylon, hoping to lock at least one of them up early.

Sydla

Reaction score
We're kind of in a unique spot. We've got a lot of young, high end talent coming up for extensions, in addition to having previously locked up our 3 young hogs. Most teams don't have that "problem". Most teams can spend money today without it potentially costing them a pro-bowler currently on their roster. We have to very seriously consider that.

As for specifics, I agree with you across the board.

I agree on Elliott. Franchise him - twice if we have to - them wish him luck.

I agree on Dak. If he'll sign for what Foles got, I'd do it. Any more than that and I'd prefer to play the waiting game.

Give Cooper his money.

I'd have traded Lawrence for a 1st, but we don't know if that was an option. And we don't know what homework the FO did, in the regard. Maybe they looked into and the market just wasn't there.

In addition to the above, I'd start negotiations with Byron and Jaylon, hoping to lock at least one of them up early.

One thing to also note is that you also have a contract in Martin's that could be restructured too and you can feel good enough that by the end of that contract, Martin would still be a competent OG. So I don't think it's fair for some fans (not you) to argue that contracts like Martin's would prevent us from being a bit more active in FA.

I look at it one of two ways. The owner and his son said they had to get better this offseason. Getting "better" doesn't mean just sign your guys to long terms deals and let's rock into 2019.

You really had two options:

- Get a bit more aggressive in FA and add a player or two that can start and provide an upgrade and impact to what you currently have.

- Get a new coaching staff to get more out of the current crop of talent that you have.

It appears the Cowboys have chosen neither and believe the team will improve organically from guys just getting better and the draft will yield a bountiful haul.

I believe that's a flawed approach that will once again result in a non-SB year. They just seem paralyzed to take that next big step, whether that be spend a bit in FA to improve the roster immediately or get a new coaching staff.

kskboys

Reaction score
95% of fans hated Carr and that deal and blamed him for 5 years for every free agent we didn't go after.

And in any case that was always the right deal and right time... Young player, right kind of guy andat premium position of need. It seems the Cowboys being thoughtful on their big signings has. .. Worked out.
Meanwhile fanbase wants the FO to be less thoughtful. That makes sense?
It was not the right deal. A simple perusal of Carr's skillset and tape showed him clearly to be a #2 CB type, not capable of manning up on the big dogs. It was a terrible signing, and yes I thought so at the time.

Johnny23

Reaction score
True but this team has drafted really good. Why mess with whats really been working for them? Id like to see some FAs but i really cant complain with how they are right now.
Because we don't have a viable 3 or 1 tech. We keep taking chances on doped up.idiots like David Irving and Randy Gregory.

We overpay Tyrone Crawford. Are too scared to sign the proper players. Like signing Casey Heyward but being turned off because of Carr.

Refusing to get a elite safety because safeties likeRoy Williams got phases out of the game and they undervalue the position.

Among other things.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Lol you used an example of a team thats known for staying out of paying big contracts early in free agency?

Gilmore is Patriots only big free agent signing over the last five offseasons, and this offseason looks the exact same. So we're actually emulating the model that they're using and you're trying to use it as a basis to trash them? LMAO if you want to start a thread you have to know the subject better.

Also the Gilmlre signing looked like an albatross his first year there because he was trash. Patriots still managed to get to the SB that year too with no help from significant outside FA signings.

Glimor's first year in New England he was trash?

(Gilmore in 2017 with Pats, including playoffs).....................….60 tackles, 15 pass defenses, 2 picks

You really need to know the subject matter better before you post crazy chit like this. If you think this is a trash stat line, hard for me to take anything else you say seriously Quincy Carter....puff puff

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Don’t want another Brandon Carr contract, so let’s hit on 40% of our draft picks and pay them....that’s the thinking. Reality is you need both to be elite.

Brandon Carr was a bargain. He was only guaranteed 25 million.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Because we don't have a viable 3 or 1 tech. We keep taking chances on doped up.idiots like David Irving and Randy Gregory.

We overpay Tyrone Crawford. Are too scared to sign the proper players. Like signing Casey Heyward but being turned off because of Carr.

Refusing to get a elite safety because safeties likeRoy Williams got phases out of the game and they undervalue the position.

Among other things.
Dallas had 39 sacks and only 7 from gregory and irving. 32 sacks from the rest of the DL thats pretty good. 22 sacks after Lawrence is out. Thats called a rotation from a top10 sack unit. Yes they can add another guy in the draft and allow charlton and armstrong to play. This defense is really young. They dont need an overhaul.

I agree on Safety but theyre look at Berry now. And then theres the draft. I like what Richards can do. Its amazing how the team is 2nd in wins the last 3 yrs with all the arm chair GMs opposing what theyre doing.

plasticman

Reaction score
I can see overpaying a guy if he is deemed "the missing peice".

The Cowboys don't need a missing peice, they need to continue construction in entire areas like DL and receivers including TE.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I am not saying to just sign every free agent under the sun, my post was just a simple example that teams can and do add valuable players through free agency.

Free agency is a tool to use to add talent, the draft is another tool, trades is yet another tool. My point is the good teams use all three, the draft, trades, and free agency (even expensive free agents) to build a roster. Totally ignoring one or more of these tools is just dumb.
Bingo!!! This should be common sense for every GM in the league!! We lack in the area of key Free Agent pick ups and Coaching!!! We can’t get past the divisional round because of this.