For those who want McCarthy

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's never 'all on one guy'. But the results speak for themselves. Rodgers wasn't great this year, much of it likely due to adjusting to a new offense, but here the Packers are, 13-3 and the #2 seed in the conference.

But if you have the time or inclination to read it, there's a thread titled 'For those who want McCarthy' (or something like that). In the first post, there's a link to a comprehensive article reporting on the dysfunction and disconnect in Green Bay. There are extensive quotes and information contained in it that paints a picture of how bad things got. Well worth your time if you have it.
That's actually this thread. I just didn't want to read it. I just picked this thread to post my question. lmao But I'll take some time later and go back to the OP.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically Rodgers thought he had one of the lowest football IQs he had ever been around and his offense was predictable.
It also said Rodgers held a grudge from SF not drafting him with the first pick when MCarthy was OC at SF, and that Rodgers was arrogant and thought he was better than others he felt weren't as smart as he was.

I'm not saying that's true, but we should be fair and admit the article doesn't hold Rodgers blameless.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt. Rodgers is a first class *******, but he's also a proven great quarterback.
No question about that. Ultimately I take any article like this one with a grain of salt. The media has evolved so much more to a sensationalized, tabloid mode of operating that I'm skeptical of everything they put out like this.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's actually this thread. I just didn't want to read it. I just picked this thread to post my question. lmao But I'll take some time later and go back to the OP.
excerpt:

Nobody holds a grudge in any sport like Rodgers. When it comes to Rodgers, grudges do not merrily float away. They stick. They grow. They refuel.

No, Rodgers would not forget that McCarthy had helped perpetuate his four-and-a-half-hour wait in the NFL draft green room the year prior. His nationally televised embarrassment. McCarthy, then the 49ers offensive coordinator, chose Alex Smith No. 1 overall. Not Rodgers.

No, Rodgers would not take it as a funny accident.

"Aaron's always had a chip on his shoulder with Mike," says Ryan Grant, the Packers' starting running back from 2007 to 2012. "The guy who ended up becoming your coach passed on you when he had a chance. Aaron was upset that Mike passed on him—that Mike actually verbally said that Alex Smith was a better quarterback."

Another longtime teammate agrees: "That was a large cancer in the locker room. It wasn't a secret."

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Sean Payton: 130-77 record, .628 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 8-6 playoff record, 3 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Mike McCarthy: 125-77-2 record, .618 winning percentage, 6 division titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl ring

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

D'oh! I can't believe I didn't realize that it was this thread!
:laugh::facepalm:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As Deion would say, it's "both":

hqdefault.jpg

I completely agree. Aaron Rodgers is an A-hole and MM is our new HC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question about that. Ultimately I take any article like this one with a grain of salt. The media has evolved so much more to a sensationalized, tabloid mode of operating that I'm skeptical of everything they put out like this.

I usually disregard anything that says Bleacher Report, but this guy actually has credibility and obviously did a great deal of homework in making his case. And it's not hard to see how difficult Rodgers is to work with. Just watch any Packers game. It's always someone else's fault.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good coach
if you can't see that...then i can't help you.
Garrett is gone.
everything is gonna be ok.
So many got what they wanted. Garrett got fired. Now they are bustin on the new selection and he has not even gotten the job yet. Goodness, I at least gave my ex-wife a year before I fired her....or did she fire me? I forget.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I usually disregard anything that says Bleacher Report, but this guy actually has credibility and obviously did a great deal of homework in making his case. And it's not hard to see how difficult Rodgers is to work with. Just watch any Packers game. It's always someone else's fault.
Admittedly, this article seems a little more fair in that the writer actually cited some sources, including sources on both sides (McCarthy & Rodgers).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you read the article and think Mike McCarthy is somehow a bad coach then you need reading comprehension.

This paints AR as a crazy egomaniac and bitter nutcase who had McCarthy ready to go anywhere else.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It also said Rodgers held a grudge from SF not drafting him with the first pick when MCarthy was OC at SF, and that Rodgers was arrogant and thought he was better than others he felt weren't as smart as he was.

I'm not saying that's true, but we should be fair and admit the article doesn't hold Rodgers blameless.

Accurate.

The article certainly doesn't paint McCarthy in a good light, but FWIW I think it makes Rodgers look as bad or worse.

Of course this is one article and you could probably get a different view from another writer but this guy appears to have talked to a lot of people and it doesn't make AR look like a good teammate at all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
excerpt:
Whoever's fault it was, it got ugly in 2018. Real ugly.

After signing the richest contract in NFL history, Rodgers took more liberties than ever before the snap. A talent drain and McCarthy's stubbornness were undoubtedly major issues. But Rodgers also showed virtually zero trust in his three rookie receivers, J'Mon Moore, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Equanimeous St. Brown. No. 1 wideout Davante Adams was targeted 169 times, one shy of Julio Jones' NFL high.

Rodgers had the leverage, and McCarthy knew it.

Maybe Rodgers had no choice but to railroad a rotting offense. Maybe Rodgers should have respected authority—after all, this offense helped him earn all that money.

Either way, he freelanced more than ever. One source with close ties to the team estimates Rodgers changed about a third of the plays McCarthy called. "An alarming amount. That is embarrassing. And they don't work!'" Realizing early on that his days in Green Bay were numbered, McCarthy would not rip Rodgers publicly. Not even as fans lambasted him for failing to feed dangerous running back Aaron Jones—while Rodgers simultaneously audibled out of runs.

That tendency to audible out of runs is just about the only issue Grant ever had with Rodgers as a teammate. That wasn't a problem in 2011. It was in 2018.

Life sure wasn't fun for those rookie receivers, either. On-the-fly route changes put them in a no-win situation. They didn't know whether to listen to their coaches or Rodgers.

A source close to the team says St. Brown became frustrated because, as much as he wanted to follow McCarthy’s play design, he also heard rumors of Rodgers freezing out teammates if they didn't do exactly what he demanded. So he listened to Rodgers. On one play in New England, Rodgers told St. Brown to run a post route when the play called for a flag. St. Brown ran the post, and pressure forced Rodgers to throw the ball away toward the flag—leading his position coach to grill him on what he was thinking.

St. Brown told him he was "improvising" so he didn't upset Rodgers.

Knowing what was up, McCarthy told him to stick with the routes called.

"That's when it went off the rails," the source close to the team says. "This s*** was terrible. He *efffed McCarthy over. Aaron undermined him."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing for sure no matter who the Cowboys hire some here will not be happy about it.

Of course not. Everyone has different opinions. It could be Belichick and some wouldn't like it. But that sure doesn't invalidate people's belief that McCarthy isn't a very good option.

Even more likely is that whatever name they fill in the blank with will be rubber stamped by the homers as a "great hire".

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Of course not. Everyone has different opinions. It could be Belichick and some wouldn't like it. But that sure doesn't invalidate people's belief that McCarthy isn't a very good option.

Even more likely is that whatever name they fill in the blank with will be rubber stamped by the homers as a "great hire".

:hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you read the article and think Mike McCarthy is somehow a bad coach then you need reading comprehension.

This paints AR as a crazy egomaniac and bitter nutcase who had McCarthy ready to go anywhere else.

With McCarthy 2017-18 - 13 wins

Without McCarthy 2019 - 13 wins

I don't need the article to show me that.

the_h0wey

Reaction score