For You "Old-Timers"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Teams go out of their way trying to keep players healthy and I think it’s made them more susceptible to injuries. DLaw didn’t do a whole lot in training camp and didn’t play in preseason and ends up getting injured in practice. As soon as they start to really exert themselves an injury pops up. The Cowboys kept all their star players out of harms way trying to keep them healthy for the season. Most of them were standing on the sidelines during preseason eating sunflower seeds. Players are coddled way too much these days.

RaZon

Reaction score
When the game came into existence there were no 230 pound athletes who could run a 4,3 and bench 400. We have simply out grown the game, too big too fast too strong to be banging into anyone. Actually the game should be banned it is too dangerous now.

But since that isn't going to happen, we do need to limit the size, nothing over 290. No preseason at all, 10 game seasons, But since $$$$$$ is the bottom line that won't happen.

What it comes down to it you know the risks, you know you can be killed out there, messed up for life so if you are ok with that then just play.

The way the players are paid is beyond stupid, which is why when anyone tries to play,...these people know football....WHAT??? If the NFL paid players half as much that is still more than dad ever made and the CFL pays.

Last edited:

stinkface

Reaction score
Greater speed associated with playing on fake turf has a lot to do with it. I remember many many years playing football on Astro Turf and thinking oh my god, I'm a lot faster and I can cut on a dime. Greater collision speed and more wear and tear on the lower extremities. That said, it sure looks pretty on TV.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another thing to point out is there wasn’t a salary cap decades ago which allowed teams to have great depth. The top teams during the 70s won consistently because there wasn’t a big drop off between their starters and backups when the injury bug bit. The Cowboys put so much money into their star players today that when they lose one of them to injury there’s a big drop off with the backup. You feel injuries a lot more when your backups can’t perform to a high level. There were a lot of injuries back in the day but our backups could start for other teams. Go back and look at all the depth we had in the 90s before the salary cap came in. We lost Troy Aikman and several other key players during portions of seasons but were still able to win big games because of our depth. We enter a game these days with a missing starter or two and the ceiling caves in. We lost Sean Lee on the defense a couple of years ago and the defense fell apart. The team was riding a three game winning streak prior to Zeke’s suspension and proceeded to lose three straight without him. The Cowboys performances in the 70s, 80s and 90s never came close to dropping off to the level we see today when they lost a key player to injury like we see with the current team. We need all our top players on the field to have any chance of being a good, consistent team.

jnday

Reaction score
They think this will help their longevity career wise ?

I think there are some fake injuries for sure .
It seems like certain players are habitual, walking injuries that are just waiting to happen. DLaw can be counted on to have injuries that prevents him from playing a few games every year. There are several more. Most of them don’t have an injury problem until they sign a huge contract and gets paid.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know when turf overtook grass as the preferred surface..

Just off the top of my head in 1980 the stadiums that had grass were:

Candlestick - San Francisco
LA Coliseum - Los Angeles
Oakland Coliseum - Oakland
Jack Murphy - San Diego
Tampa Bay - The Big Sombrero
Miami - Orange Bowl
Mile High - Denver
Arrowhead - KC
Memorial Stadium - Baltimore
Memorial Stadium - Cleveland
Soldier Field - Chicago
RFK - Washington DC
Green Bay
Fulton County - Atlanta

That's 14 of 28 .. I stopped there.. I may have missed a couple but you get the picture.. Most teams were still on grass in 1980.. 3 of the 4 expansion teams since 1980 have been grass.. JAX, Carolina, Cleveland .. Houston being the only exception. Most teams that play outdoors have tried to go grass. The ones that worry about weather went to FieldTurf.
Yes in the 70s their were still grass teams, RFK mile high the orange bowl, etc. But Chicago had some of the worst turf as did the NY teams. The Cowboys played in the east in the 70s.... the only team that had grass during that time were the Commanders, so at least 11 of the Cowboys games during that era were on turf..........maybe thats why I thought almost all teams had turf in the 70s.

jnday

Reaction score
Just like you got Prescott injury incorrect. I told you it was like a baseball players injury. I’ve been training with professional athletes for over 45 years. Who am I gonna listen to the guys i train or you
If you are smart, you will listen to The all-knowing Risen Star.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are just being delusional at this point.
Are you serious. What does commonsense mean to you. It’s instinct. Common sense don’t go swimming in a hurricane. For people surfing it all the time. Common sense is a just That feeling a sense. Tells you somethings wrong.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you are smart, you will listen to The all-knowing Risen Star.
He doesn’t know jack. I’m getting the same feeling You might not talk too much about certain things either

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

Love to hear your thoughts ..
In general, today’s players are stronger and more athletic compared to players from say 20-40 years ago. There are many reasons for that, training and nutrition for example, but the body can only take so much, an ankle is an ankle, a neck is a neck, a knee is a knee.

Ever hear the saying “the bigger they are, the bigger they fall”.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In general, today’s players are stronger and more athletic compared to players from say 20-40 years ago. There are many reasons for that, training and nutrition for example, but the body can only take so much, an ankle is an ankle, a neck is a neck, a knee is a knee.

Ever hear the saying “the bigger they are, the bigger they fall”.
They are not stronger and they are not more athletic. Where did you ever get that from. Size means nothing.Tell Earl Campbell, or John Riggins someone’s tougher than they are

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They are not stronger and they are not more athletic. Where did you ever get that from. Size means nothing.Tell Earl Campbell, or John Riggins someone’s tougher than they are

There’s no question the players today are bigger and stronger than they were 30-40 years ago. Compare the size of offensive lineman today to the offensive lines of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Randy White played defensive tackle at 260 pounds. No way can a player do that today. Nutrition and weight training techniques are better. I’ve seen interviews with Hall of fame players that have admitted they couldn’t play the game today at the size they were. Even they agree players today are bigger and stronger. Jack Lambert a Hall of Fame linebacker played at 212 pounds. No player could play linebacker at 212 pounds today.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There’s no question the players today are bigger and stronger than they were 30-40 years ago. Compare the size of offensive lineman today to the offensive lines of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Randy White played defensive tackle at 260 pounds. No way can a player do that today. Nutrition and weight training techniques are better. I’ve seen interviews with Hall of fame players that have admitted they couldn’t play the game today at the size they were. Even they agree players today are bigger and stronger. Jack Lambert a Hall of Fame linebacker played at 212 pounds. He couldn’t do that today if he were in his prime.
I totally disagree sorry. They may be faster. And that’s a maybe. I’ve been trying to tell Jerry that for years. Can I get a big ugly at defensive tackle please. I’ve been training professional athletes for over 45 years. Size means nothing. I got a little guy that can carry five bundles of shingles up a ladder. And a big guy He’s lucky to carry to

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There’s no question the players today are bigger and stronger than they were 30-40 years ago. Compare the size of offensive lineman today to the offensive lines of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Randy White played defensive tackle at 260 pounds. No way can a player do that today. Nutrition and weight training techniques are better. I’ve seen interviews with Hall of fame players that have admitted they couldn’t play the game today at the size they were. Even they agree players today are bigger and stronger. Jack Lambert a Hall of Fame linebacker played at 212 pounds. No player could play linebacker at 212 pounds today.
The average weight of today’s linebacker is 216 pounds. So

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I totally disagree sorry. They may be faster. And that’s a maybe.

They had players 30 and 40 years ago that were just as fast if not faster than players today. Bob Hayes, Darrell Green and Bo Jackson could run past anyone today. NFLNetwork did a ranking of the fastest players to ever play in the NFL and those were the top three. You obviously haven’t been following football very long if you believe players aren’t bigger and stronger today.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The average weight of today’s linebacker is 216 pounds. So

Name one starting 216 pound linebacker in the NFL? There’s no way the average weight of an NFL linebacker is 216 pounds. Most of them are 230+.