For You "Old-Timers"

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

Love to hear your thoughts ..
Of course they hit harder. They're bigger, stronger and faster.
They're also more valuable. Teams will protect their assets rather than send them out there to do more damage and wreck their careers (think about RGIII). There's also more overall competition on rosters (because of the money in the sport) so backups are more capable.
When you look at actual data, there has been an increase in injuries over time, but most of it is concussion-related.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Today's players are not only bigger and faster, they do hit harder. The linebackers of the 1960's teams were 6' and 205lbs-210lbs, smoked cigarettes and only lifted weights during the season. There were no 6'4" 245 LB linebacker cyborgs with 9% body fat running 4.4 40s who scientifically trained 12 months a year. Granted there were a few exceptions like Dick Buckus and Ray Nitschke, but most were like D.D. Lewis.
...and a 250 lb lineman was huge.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

yes and its worse in baseball. In baseball at least the excuse is that they (and especially pitchers) are playing at too high a level when they are young, too much and too hard. I dont know what the explanation is with football. We are supposed to have far better training and far better injury care, yet it gets worse. Part of the explanation will have to involve players being tougher, so to speak, and more worry about CTE and head injuries. But I wonder if there is yet more to it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

The rules have absolutely changed the way teams must desal with injuries. Go watch the old movie "North Dallas Forty." Raheem Mostert is out for the season. If this was 1970, they shoot him up with drugs and hed play this week.
There is also so much money involved, that players dont want to risk messing up their bodies in a way that hurts them from a future contract.

Now the last piece of the puzzle is brains. The NFL and scientific world is so much wiser when it comes to injuries and the league doesnt want to get sued, and players dont want long term health screwing up their lives when they hit 60. Watch Nate Newton walk and then you can understand.

So yea, it is quite different today... the entire mindset.

Ronnie Lott once had one of his fingers amputated so he wouldnt miss a game. You think anyone would do that today?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the "old days" players played because it was their job and many loved their work. They went to work and collected a paycheck just like you and me.

Today, many players are businesses. Many go to work while also concentrating on their other business opportunities. It's just a different game of football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in the day, they had this thing called "depth" and players feared losing their starting position, and the additional bonus that brought, so much that coaches like Lombardi, Landry, Grant and Brown instituted a policy that an injury would not cost a starter his job. Because many of the players would not report their injury and try and play through it.

There was also this machismo thing about football back then that to admit injury was a sign of weakness and something that could be exploited by the player they were facing.

Today, show me the team where a starter fears losing his job. These players know very well who plays behind them and just how thin that is. The cap forces a team where to try for depth and it is not as iff the Cowboys have ignored the OL. They cannot spend a 1st on an OL in every draft. The drafts they did, they neglected the QB position as well as the D side of the ball.

They really haven't picked a winner outside the 1st since Larry Allen.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I think bigger/stronger doesn’t mean better overall. I feel like guys get so bulked up etc that it’s easier to tear stuff because of the strain. I also think back in the day the played, boozed, played again. They might have had injuries but ignored because tech is different in medicine. Why half of them have a gimp

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons why injuries were different 30+ years ago vs today.

Yes, players are bigger and can cause more damage to theirs or others body, but the equipment, medical teams and technology are also far superior. Take concussions. Don't happen nearly as much as they used to. Better helmets, rule changes aware of the science, better medical staff, etc...

When the NFL started, there was nothing like today on injury status where timelines and incorrect labels can get you in trouble. It's just a whole new ballgame. Using concussions again, how many of those guys actually sat after a concussion? And this is recent history! We're talking into Troy Aikman's days.

I think back in the day ALL injuries were just viewed as something you shrugged off and you were told to man up. Look at how many of those guys can't walk now or live a normal life. Same for boxers and other physical sports before modern medical and sports technology.

You had Bear Bryant not letting his players drink water at practice in 100 degree heat. That's just stupid, not old school discipline. And you thought they took Bobby Knight to the woodshed. Image that in today's sports world?

I also agree about the salaries and depth. Players up until the 80's always had to work an offseason job. This is not today's NFL where even scrubs can sit on the bench and collect interest in their bank account.

I think what I'm trying to say is I bet you the amount of injuries is about the same as 30 years ago, because for everything that is more dangerous, there is a huge improvement. It's just the protocols on injuries have changed so much.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There are a couple of things to remember that have nothing to do with the players being soft (for clarification, I'm not saying some aren't)

1. There is a much bigger financial commitment to players these days, thus a bigger emphasis is placed on protecting them.

2. The NFL and teams have a lot more liability than they used to, and teams reporting injuries is an absolute requirement these days. Can't cover up injuries the way teams once did.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One word, Lawyers

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Well I'm "only" 43 and have noticed the same thing. However, years ago injuries were not reported to the extent they are today; and player safety was not as prioritized as it is today.

I have read several books about the Cowboys and know players in the Don Meredith era, for instance, played with injuries that would have put today's players out for the season. We can question the toughness of today's athletes, but the fact is a lot of quality of life problems suffered by NFL veterans of earlier eras could have been avoided.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think its the decrease of practice time.
and decrease in padded practices.
players aren't in game shape like they useta be...and fundamentals are sloppier.
the lawyers got involved and ruined the game.
players need MORE practices...not less.
in my opinion...less practice time seems to be leading to more injuries and miss assignments.

Flamma

Reaction score

I think most of us notice that. And injuries I never heard of being as common back then.

As far as the bold, I'm reminded of that every time I watch a game from the past. Go back and watch a game from the 80s. The difference in hitting jumps out at you. It was way more aggressive back then.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lactobacillus is a bacteria.

It’s actually a common beer spoiler found during beer manufacturing from a lack of cleaning.

Are you referring to lactic acid buildup?
Latissimus muscle

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lactobacillus is a bacteria.

It’s actually a common beer spoiler found during beer manufacturing from a lack of cleaning.

Are you referring to lactic acid buildup?
I have neuropathy nerve damage from the military. I rely on speak and text. Many people here know that about me and they let things slide. Even after I proofread Google still changes some of my warnings. My fingers burn they sting when I type. I’ve been a fan for 60+ years how can I not love the star Roger Staubach

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That’s certainly a factor in reported injuries
A slight pull in the 60’s wouldn’t even been known
But then again there wasn’t 24 hour sport reporting either
If there was some of today’s off field stuff wouldn’t compare to what was happening in those days
The doctors in the 60s they medical staff. They won’t even tell some of the players how bad injury was. Just give me some more Cortizone Lol

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well don't leave me hang. How did our imaginary conversation that only occured in your head end?
It was a month ago I don’t expect you to remember. It probably meant nothing to you. I tried to explain to you what the actual injury was. And you just weren’t interested. I don’t mean to be a derogatory. But again I wasn’t the one who threw the first insult. It wasn’t necessary

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a month ago I don’t expect you to remember. It probably meant nothing to you. I tried to explain to you what the actual injury was. And you just weren’t interested. I don’t mean to be a derogatory. But again I wasn’t the one who threw the first insult. It wasn’t necessary

Only things that actually happened could mean something to me. That's the thing.

Here's hoping you at least schooled me in this imaginary debate.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I played ball through college in late 60s....nowadays there is so much more knowledge, information and advancements in injuries, treatment and sports medicine. When I played you were expected to play despite injuries and we really knew no better. The absolute last thing you wanted was to be considered weak. So you pushed through things not knowing the damage you were causing. I have issues today from football injuries that weren’t a concern by trainers or medical staff back in the day.
To me it’s extremely hard to compare “back in the day” to now. So many things are different
Who is that in your avatar?

I've seen the mug shot and it's bothering me that I can't recall who it is.

Is it Luciano?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only things that actually happened could mean something to me. That's the thing.

Here's hoping you at least schooled me in this imaginary debate.
For their rate, you don’t know jack. I should’ve listen to some of the other people. I thought you were just being sarcastic most of the time. You actually believe the stuff