Forget about drafting a WR in the 1st round next year!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
Our top 10 pick will be reserved for a QB, at least I hope so!!!

so were going to do worse than the niners miami, cleavand and all the rest of the bottom of the league, because of one preseaosn game? we havent really seen henson play, and those that did see him at the preseason said he cand o something, but we should spend another draft pick on a QB, after just spending the 3rd round raft pick last year for one, stop jumping of cliffs and actaully let the cowboys play a season before we start gearing for draft picks.

jaman4

Reaction score
jswalker1981 said:
Please tell me that this isn't about Henson! Because a veteran player is what he ISN'T!! For those attacking Henson, relax, he doesn't get live action during the OFFseason. He played what? one game last year? And now he has one preseason game. Hey I guess we should have traded Aikman when he didn't win a game during his first year. I'm not saying that henson will be aikman, but let's let henson grow. He's been off for three years and we all want him to go to the pro bowl after one year of being a third string qb.
Amen brother. I cant believe all the hate for Henson on this board, when he hasnt even had a chance to DO anything yet. He's already better than Bledsoe, yet people are hating on him badly. Why??? He's essentially a rookie coming back after a few years off from the game. Did you all expect him to be starting and playing like Brett Favre already or what? Sheesh

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Need to grab Leinart, even if it means giving up something that hurts.

I don't think he is better than the kid from Texas. :bang2:

Kangaroo

Reaction score
bags said:
hahaha
do you mcneil, jacobs, and young guys want us to get them for your madden franchise or real football?

I can't pretend to be an expert on any of those three, but I'm not sure how much potential they have to be NFL quarterbacks.

Mcneil can flat out throw he improved his decision making last year and threw very few picks. He did get a little banged up in a few games because they run draw plays for him quite a bit.

He lost quite a few wr we will see how they play this year and see if they can get a real running game going with a rb not just the qb :cool:

McNeil has talent if he takes his game up another level he will be a 1st rounder easy

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DC Cowboy said:
I don't think he is better than the kid from Texas. :bang2:

Leinart is a much better passer than Vince Young. Vince is a better runner sort of like Vick only slower. I thing a team will draft Young as a projected WR instead of a QB. Just my guess.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I have researched the 2006 draft only a little bit but I have seen that a lot of highly rated offensive lineman will be going in the 1st round of that draft. I could see BP grabbing one of those tackles to learn the ropes while playing RT and then replacing Adams eventually on the left side.

Gordon

Reaction score
The way rookie contracts are these days, particularly QBs, it's not worth it to draft a QB in the first round, especially in the top 10. Especially considering the amount of them that don't live up to the hype. Here's 1st round QB picks since 1999, discounting 2004 since they only have 1 year experience.

Tim Couch - Out of the league
Donovan McNabb - Worth every penny
Akili Smith - Out of the league
Daunte Culpepper - Worth every penny
Cade McNown - Out of the league

Chad Pennington - Pretty good

Mike Vick - Based on the team's succes when he's in the game, compared to when he's not, I suppose he's worth it.

David Carr - he's been solid, but not worth a #1 pick. This is the year we'll find out what kind of player he'll be.
Joey Harrington - Fighting to keep his starting job
Patrick Ramsey - Not really given a fair shot. Jury is still out. Skins used another late 1st on a QB this year, so they don't like what they see, apparently.

Carson Palmer - Seems primed to breakout this year
Byron Leftwich - Very solid last year, we'll see how he improves.
Kyle Boller - Pretty bad so far. Make or break year this year.
Rex Grossman - Can't stay healthy, hasn't shown much while healthy.

Considering Alex Smith got a bigger contract than Tom Brady, I don't think the percentage of first round QBs that have actually lived up to their potential makes it rational to waste a 1st rounder on a QB. The only way I'd consider drafting a QB next year is if we had a late 1st rounder, maybe 20th and on. It becomes less of a financial burden that way. Otherwise, drafting a QB in the top 10, you're gambling your future on one player, IMO.

If Julius and the defense live up to the expectations, solid QB play, especially with improved WRs, will suffice.

jay cee

Reaction score
Gordon said:
The way rookie contracts are these days, particularly QBs, it's not worth it to draft a QB in the first round, especially in the top 10. Especially considering the amount of them that don't live up to the hype. Here's 1st round QB picks since 1999, discounting 2004 since they only have 1 year experience.

Tim Couch - Out of the league
Donovan McNabb - Worth every penny
Akili Smith - Out of the league
Daunte Culpepper - Worth every penny
Cade McNown - Out of the league

Chad Pennington - Pretty good

Mike Vick - Based on the team's succes when he's in the game, compared to when he's not, I suppose he's worth it.

David Carr - he's been solid, but not worth a #1 pick. This is the year we'll find out what kind of player he'll be.
Joey Harrington - Fighting to keep his starting job
Patrick Ramsey - Not really given a fair shot. Jury is still out. Skins used another late 1st on a QB this year, so they don't like what they see, apparently.

Carson Palmer - Seems primed to breakout this year
Byron Leftwich - Very solid last year, we'll see how he improves.
Kyle Boller - Pretty bad so far. Make or break year this year.
Rex Grossman - Can't stay healthy, hasn't shown much while healthy.

Considering Alex Smith got a bigger contract than Tom Brady, I don't think the percentage of first round QBs that have actually lived up to their potential makes it rational to waste a 1st rounder on a QB. The only way I'd consider drafting a QB next year is if we had a late 1st rounder, maybe 20th and on. It becomes less of a financial burden that way. Otherwise, drafting a QB in the top 10, you're gambling your future on one player, IMO.

If Julius and the defense live up to the expectations, solid QB play, especially with improved WRs, will suffice.
I kind of agree with you, and it's mainly because of the contracts. When you draft other positions in the 1st round, they are expected to help right away. Qb's either sit on the bench eating up salary cap space, or struggle while trying to learn on the fly.

That's why I don't mind the Cowboys trading a 3rd for Henson and giving him 2-3 years to develop.

And by the way for those that have come to Henson's defense in this thread, I think the posters were originally discussing Drew Bledsoe when they complained about pocket presence.