Forget Dak, he's not the problem

visionary

Reaction score
And I am not sure the root of that. Is that the QB or the OC's play calling? Go back to that ATL game when Green was a swinging door, did you see any adjustment in the play calling to help the QB?

That's been my issue with this coaching staff, and that begins with the HC, their tactics are almost non-existent. Garrett and his crew watched how Belichick coached in KC and the SB with the same awe and wonder we did as fans. Takes a good General to formulate the strategy but just as good line officers to engage tactics and the really good HC's go into battle assuming their strategy will not hold. That's Belichick because he strategizes his tactics just as he did his DL in the SB and McVay didn't have an answer.

I have a suspicion that Linehan didn't like Prescott and was never on board with him as the QB1. I know there was staff not ion his camp and I think Linehan was at the top of that list. Why else would he call so many plays that involved tight window throws with a QB that doesn't have accuracy as his strong suit? I think when Garrett screwed up and announced Linehan was staying, he ruined Dak's day. I would love to have been a fly on the wall with the Joneses after Garrett made that announcement because his embarrassing withdrawal was pretty quick in coming. And I wonder if that had a little something to do with no extension?

If that's the case you need a great HC and OC
Not idiot Garrett and Mini Me Moore
If the team struggles with this ensemble you still won't have your answer and will be stuck paying Dak 30 mill/yr

CB61

Reaction score
OK, I was feeling left out and haven't had a Dak thread so this is my only one. But I thought I would combine a Ranching thread with this so what are you eating while reading and responding?

Who lost that Green Bay playoff game and the one in LA? It is a trick question because it's like a Dr. Seuss book, it was a lot of who's, like an entire team of them.

Dak Prescott played well enough to win both of those games and brought them back in that Green Bay game very smartly for a rookie QB. The D in one gets 18 points down and in the other lets the opposing team run it up the gut and limit Dak's time with the ball and opportunities. Those were team losses.

Hey, I agree about the inconsistent accuracy being a challenge but I've also seen enough accuracy from him that I know he can play the position. And let's assume he and the coaching staff are aware of that issue as well and are working on that together.

What's the most important trait for a QB, any player? What do you think Eagles fans would say it is for a QB? Durability, doesn't matter how good a player is if he can't show up consistently and we've got a Tier 1 when it comes to that and he plays a little contact as well. Of all the teams, we can be the least concerned about the backup QB. And the Eagles?

It isn't about Prescott like it wasn't about Romo, it was about the teams they led and how their perceived their part in that. Romo was more risk because he felt he had to do something on every possession because he didn't have that first best friend, a D, but he proved how good he could be with that second best friend, a RB. Prescott has both best friends and they're better than Romo ever had.

And let's forget this "carrying the team" nonsense about these other QB's like Brady, Brees and Rodgers, do they really carry their teams or do they get the ball in the hands of the playmakers just like Aikman and Montana used to do? They do not carry the team, they execute the plays and it is the team that carries the team.

For whatever reason, fans take a liking to a player or not and the QB seems to catch most of that. No matter what the QB does, if someone doesn't like him, it's never going to be good enough and the weight of the load goes on his back.

This team will go as far as the team can take itself, not as far as the QB can take it. It's funny how Brady gets the GOAT tag, and he's pretty damned good, but ever notice every year he wins it, his run game and D are in the top 10, that's every year he's won it. Maybe Brees and Rodgers would have won more than that if their teams had done that and maybe Rivers could get to one.
You are correct there is no I in team

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who lost that Green Bay playoff game and the one in LA? It is a trick question because it's like a Dr. Seuss book, it was a lot of who's, like an entire team of them.
Primarily Marinelli. Completely unprepared and out coached both games.

Dak certainly wasn't the problem against GB. Probably not the Rams either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's the case you need a great HC and OC
Not idiot Garrett and Mini Me Moore
If the team struggles with this ensemble you still won't have your answer and will be stuck paying Dak 30 mill/yr
Got to have a QB and that 30M will soon be the norm for that position.

I agree about Garrett but haven't seen Moore so I am waiting on that. And I am not expecting him to McVay us, just give us a glimpse of his philosophy and utilization of talent. He was on the Pollard pick early on and that intrigues me. I don't think he's a Cowboy if Linehan is still there.

Aren't you attaching Moore to Garrett without enough evidence to support that? He's valued highly by others who know more than I do and seems to have the players on his side.

visionary

Reaction score
Got to have a QB and that 30M will soon be the norm for that position.

I agree about Garrett but haven't seen Moore so I am waiting on that. And I am not expecting him to McVay us, just give us a glimpse of his philosophy and utilization of talent. He was on the Pollard pick early on and that intrigues me. I don't think he's a Cowboy if Linehan is still there.

Aren't you attaching Moore to Garrett without enough evidence to support that? He's valued highly by others who know more than I do and seems to have the players on his side.

Moore is by far the least experienced OC to be hired in the NFL

Even if he's a genius he will need 2-3 years to develop a plan and be able to implement it

'Valued highly' by whom? And for what?
Was another team willing to hire him as OC?
We did the same stuff with Garrett and are still paying the price

Garrett and Jerry already ruined the careers of Romo, Ware and Witten now they're going to ruin Dak, Zeke and the rest

This team is ready now
They don't need another 'in-training OC'

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Even if he's a genius he will need 2-3 years to develop a plan and be able to implement it

Boy Genius II.
I hope he replaces Garrett as HC mid season.
For the lolz!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett and Jerry already ruined the careers of Tomo, Ware and Witten now they're going to ruin Dak, Zeke and the rest

This team is ready now
They don't need another 'in-training OC'
I value Chris Peterson's opinion, HC at WA now but the guy that brought Boise St. back and he predicted Moore as a HC because of his football mind and Gruden couldn't stop going on about his moxie with offensive football. Everyone who encounters him comes away with that same impression and that's all I have to go on but he amassed one hell of a record at BSU and was calling the plays a lot of the time because Peterson trusted him.

It will not take 2-3 years to develop or they would not be trusting him with this offense. The team is defending the East title and people in that FO evidently have a lot of faith in him.

I am not extoling the virtues of Kellen Moore, only saying give him a chance to show what he's got, they all started somewhere and who's to say he's not another McVay in the making?

There seems to be this general feeling that anyone attached to this coaching group is part of the poisoned well. That because Booger hired Garrett, everyone else he hires is a goof and that's not the case.

And the two things that intrigue me the most about this, v-man, are that Garrett announces Linehan is staying on Monday and he's fired on Friday and after Moore is hired, Booger openly endorses him with "anyone gets in your way, come see me". Now, no one believes he expects that but there is most definitely a message there that they're willing to put the success of this season on that unproven and inexperienced OC.

Some might not like it but for pure Cowboys intrigue, hard to beat. Moore has put himself squarely in the theater of the round in the media and will be the most talked about coordinator in the league, hell, maybe ever. He might overshadow the HC in his contract year.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dak is the problem.

We're trying to build a team around a QB with no talent.
All You ever hear for the reason to see "improvement" is I hope . . . I expect . . . The Coaches will . . . its like these delusional fans believe "WISHING on a Star" is what is going to IMPROVE Dak.

This team is loaded and the QB is weak . . . Wins are plentiful . . . Its a Shame the way Dak is being Carried and Dragged along . .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I value Chris Peterson's opinion, HC at WA now but the guy that brought Boise St. back and he predicted Moore as a HC because of his football mind and Gruden couldn't stop going on about his moxie with offensive football. Everyone who encounters him comes away with that same impression and that's all I have to go on but he amassed one hell of a record at BSU and was calling the plays a lot of the time because Peterson trusted him.

It will not take 2-3 years to develop or they would not be trusting him with this offense. The team is defending the East title and people in that FO evidently have a lot of faith in him.

I am not extoling the virtues of Kellen Moore, only saying give him a chance to show what he's got, they all started somewhere and who's to say he's not another McVay in the making?

There seems to be this general feeling that anyone attached to this coaching group is part of the poisoned well. That because Booger hired Garrett, everyone else he hires is a goof and that's not the case.

And the two things that intrigue me the most about this, v-man, are that Garrett announces Linehan is staying on Monday and he's fired on Friday and after Moore is hired, Booger openly endorses him with "anyone gets in your way, come see me". Now, no one believes he expects that but there is most definitely a message there that they're willing to put the success of this season on that unproven and inexperienced OC.

Some might not like it but for pure Cowboys intrigue, hard to beat. Moore has put himself squarely in the theater of the round in the media and will be the most talked about coordinator in the league, hell, maybe ever. He might overshadow the HC in his contract year.
The fact he’s on our staff isn’t a good indication for Moore.

Besides Bills tenure which included OC Sean Payton and DC Mike Zimmer our HC and staff this Century hasn’t been a Who’s Who’s list. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact he’s on our staff isn’t a good indication for Moore.

Besides Bills tenure which included OC Sean Payton and DC Mike Zimmer our HC and staff this Century hasn’t been a Who’s Who’s list. Lol
Eberfluss wasn't bad and you can't generalize that because they don't seek out mediocre coaches. And Zimmer wasn't a Parcells hire, he was hired by Switzer.

I would prefer to let a coach make his own statement and there's little to coaching trees because some branches break. Some just seem to have a certain knack for a part of the game like Reid with offense but they all got their start somewhere.

There's a backlash against Moore for exactly what you mentioned as well as his inexperience but none of us know anything about him except what we've heard from others and the only negative things I've seen about him are in this forum. Too many in a bad frame of mind and want to negative it forward without enough information. Hell, I am not Pollyanna but give me the unknown, I can deal with that, I do not have to fill that in with my own doomsday BS.

And from what I've seen on these forums, the play callers catch the blame for execution too often. Posters would do well to look at the difference because I didn't see Linehan miss one open receiver.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I am not sure the root of that. Is that the QB or the OC's play calling? Go back to that ATL game when Green was a swinging door, did you see any adjustment in the play calling to help the QB?

That's been my issue with this coaching staff, and that begins with the HC, their tactics are almost non-existent. Garrett and his crew watched how Belichick coached in KC and the SB with the same awe and wonder we did as fans. Takes a good General to formulate the strategy but just as good line officers to engage tactics and the really good HC's go into battle assuming their strategy will not hold. That's Belichick because he strategizes his tactics just as he did his DL in the SB and McVay didn't have an answer.

I have a suspicion that Linehan didn't like Prescott and was never on board with him as the QB1. I know there was staff not ion his camp and I think Linehan was at the top of that list. Why else would he call so many plays that involved tight window throws with a QB that doesn't have accuracy as his strong suit? I think when Garrett screwed up and announced Linehan was staying, he ruined Dak's day. I would love to have been a fly on the wall with the Joneses after Garrett made that announcement because his embarrassing withdrawal was pretty quick in coming. And I wonder if that had a little something to do with no extension?
All illustrations how dysfunctional our organization is. And how talent dependent we are. If we’re looking for strategy to be the difference , we’re in trouble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we didn’t have a Mom and Pop FO and had a brilliant coaching staff I’d feel much more comfortable with a QB like Dak we could build a strategize around.

I’m afraid we will need Elite talent at QB like we have at RB and WR. Unless our coaching and QB is better than it looks ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Eberfluss wasn't bad and you can't generalize that because they don't seek out mediocre coaches. And Zimmer wasn't a Parcells hire, he was hired by Switzer.

I would prefer to let a coach make his own statement and there's little to coaching trees because some branches break. Some just seem to have a certain knack for a part of the game like Reid with offense but they all got their start somewhere.

There's a backlash against Moore for exactly what you mentioned as well as his inexperience but none of us know anything about him except what we've heard from others and the only negative things I've seen about him are in this forum. Too many in a bad frame of mind and want to negative it forward without enough information. Hell, I am not Pollyanna but give me the unknown, I can deal with that, I do not have to fill that in with my own doomsday BS.

And from what I've seen on these forums, the play callers catch the blame for execution too often. Posters would do well to look at the difference because I didn't see Linehan miss one open receiver.
I expect Moore will go as Dak goes. No one has survived him yet. Even Garretts job might not survive him.

Much like with Garrett, OC are as good as their QB’s. Linehan was fine with Romo, sucked with Dak. Red Flags for me. But I suppose if you’re All In unconditionally it doesn’t matter. Lol
Onward Thru The Fog!

Paradox

Reaction score
Dak has yet to have a scratch your head moment in the playoffs. The moment has never seemed to big for him; even against the likes of Rodgers and Wilson. It's a team sport so any one player could have done one or more things to win any game regular of playoff to include Dak. However, IMO Dak did not do anything glaring that caused us to lose in any of his playoff games.

Except for that time when he scored too quickly against Green Bay and gave Rodgers enough time to do what he does and issue us a one way ticket home from the playoffs. To be fair, scoring a TD without considering the game clock could have been at Garrett's instruction.

starfan1

Reaction score
They still had to play them each time in the playoffs and usually in regular season with 1st place schedule. It’s fair to argue Balt and Pitt might have had less success this era if they had been in same division as Pats.
Yep it works both ways