Former Cowboy coaches not fairing well in job market

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't want to coach. I hit the wall after 30 years. Retired at 50. No regrets, it's a tough business. 90 hour work week during the season and since I was the AD, about 70 hours the rest of the year.

I was about to state something similar. We don't know their backstories. Being that the NFL seems like a highly cutthroat/stressful work environment, maybe some of these guys wanted something a little more laid back (or time off).

I do think Garrett is a snake in the weeds waiting to strike on the Giants job though.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was about to state something similar. We don't know their backstories. Being that the NFL seems like a highly stressful work environment, maybe some of these guys wanted something a little more laid back (or time off).

I do think Garrett is a snake in the weeds waiting to pounce on the Giants job though.
Garrett sucks! Lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
and Frazier didn't say it either. He actually said Richard's way was too complicated which left no room for error. he never said Richard was hampered.
Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions.

He didn’t huh?

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Ha! Go figure.

Rod had the game pass him by.

Richard....eh...overrated. Very. The NFL is very much demonstrating that now.

Garrett....well....I'm glad he's a Giant.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
The richest franchise on Earth has had a JV level coaching staff for the greater part of a decade. It's the #1 thing I blame Jerry for - his total lack of respect for the coaching profession. The puppet should have never been hired. The Lions castoffs should have never been hired. The special teams buffoon should have stayed in the video coordinator room. When you have no salary cap on coaching hires yet you settle for these clowns, it means you have no respect for coaching. A big part of Jerry's legacy will be the fact that he saddled a strong core of HOF/pro-bowl players with this pathetic group of coaches for years and years and years until the dam finally broke and the players grew too old to continue. Sad!

You forgot to mention Jerry hired Garrett to be the OC BEFORE he hired the HC, and forced Garrett on Phillip's. Then after building a 3-4 defense for years. Jerry hired 75 year old Monte Kiffin to switch to a 4-3. Then Jerry promoted 70 year old Marinelli to the DC. Then hired Richard to have turf wars with Marinelli. And Jerry actually listened to Marinelli and drafted the two guys he wanted.

The common denominator in this train wreck: Jerry Jones

CWR

Reaction score
Richard hasn’t said a word about being hampered. Frazier is the one who said it.

Youre right. Fans are crying for him. My poorly stated point is Richard shouldn't have allowed that to happen. If what Frazier said was true JG turned him into another sacrificial lamb. Richard gets put in a tough spot because he doesn't want the rep of being a freelancer who doesn't follow his HCs orders, but instead he's put in the position of being viewed as a poor coach. I think you have to be clear to your higher up coaches, and later to the media your scheme/techniques dont work if you're being undermined. Its a delicate balance for sure, but I believe it best to go down swinging.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Youre right. Fans are crying for him. My poorly stated point is Richard shouldn't have allowed that to happen. If what Frazier said was true JG turned him into another sacrificial lamb. Richard gets put in a tough spot because he doesn't want the rep of being a freelancer who doesn't follow his HCs orders, but instead he's put in the position of being viewed as a poor coach. I think you have to be clear to your higher up coaches, and later to the media your scheme/techniques dont work if you're being undermined. Its a delicate balance for sure, but I believe it best to go down swinging.
That's easy too say behind a computer.......its not reality though.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The clapper will be the HC for the Giants in two years. You can take that to the bank.

Now I think he was a terrible HC, but that quarterbacks coach they got fro the Pats will probably flame out. Jason will be the safe choice. I can see him in that role for a long time, their ownership is worse than ours.
He sabatoged Wade, he will do the same to what’s his name

Kaiser

Reaction score
Rod was the dline coach here, and got hired immedsitely as the dline coach for the Raiders. Makes sense since he was the only one good at his job.

So "all of the above" is pretty silly statement.

The OP is completely silly. Every Coordinator takes a step down and then eventually finds another job later on, its really rare that a DC is on a staff that gets fired and immediately jumps to another DC job.

George Edwards has been a DC of three different NFL teams, including a 10-6 Vikings team last year. He is on the Cowboys staff his year after getting fired and doesn't even have a formal position. He is listed as "Senior Defensive Assistant".

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s not just about who the coaches are, but how they fit with the scheme and the chemistry and trust they have as a staff. Jerry finally learned that he cannot hire the coaches and coordinators 1 by 1 and tell the head coach to use them. That practice dates back long before Garrett, but for the most part, Garrett did not hire his own staff. Wade didn’t get to bring in his own team. Neither did Chan Gailey or Switzer or Campo.

Jerry liked toys, but he also like holding on to coaches under contract....he was too loyal and too controlling.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Just to prove the point how hamstrung this team has been over the years by its coaching. Just about all of the main coaches have taken a step backward since either moving on ore being fired from Dallas

Kris Richard - unemployed
Scott Linehan - unemployed 2019, current passing game cooridinator at LSU
Rod Marinelli - Defensive line coach Las Vegas Raiders
Jason Garret - OC NYG

So, the rest of the league has spoken and all of the above were in positions beyond their capability in Dallas. Explains a lot

Where's all these teams that were lining up to pounce on Garrett as a HC when Jones fired him?...

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
If I could have picked any job in the world for Jason Garrett it would’ve been as the offensive coordinator for a hated division rival. That happened. Then player after player fell to us in the draft…It’s like whatever price Jerry paid to the devil for those three Super Bowls in the 90s has been paid.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Where's all these teams that were lining up to pounce on Garrett as a HC when Jones fired him?...

When Garrett was fired there were only two openings, one was Carolina where Rhule was hired the following day and the other spot was Cleveland.

ShortRound

Reaction score
It’s more amazing Jerry kept that rag tag off brand crew for so long.

ksadler1

Reaction score
When Garrett was fired there were only two openings, one was Carolina where Rhule was hired the following day and the other spot was Cleveland.

While you're absolutely right, Jerry tried to say teams were just waiting for the hatchet to drop so they could hand him a HC job.

Blake

Reaction score
I was about to state something similar. We don't know their backstories. Being that the NFL seems like a highly cutthroat/stressful work environment, maybe some of these guys wanted something a little more laid back (or time off).

I do think Garrett is a snake in the weeds waiting to strike on the Giants job though.

Difference is the Giants won't grant ginger the same autonomy and benefit of the doubt he was used to with the enabler Jerruh.