News: Former Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch is retiring from the NFL

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smart move. A long career just wasn't in the cards for him. Wish him the best.

Motorola

Reaction score
Again?

This is like a Brett Favre retirement. Been reading stuff about him leaving for a year now.

Good luck.
WOW.
You comparing Vander Esch's retirement to the blatant, overblown "will he or won't he" back & forth soap opera that Farve orchestrated over the last three seasons of his career?
YOUR TAKE IS ABSURD.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I wonder if he will be in the Ring of Honor? Leighton Vander Esch made the right decision, I wish him the best in his retirement and I hope he will enjoy his retirement
nah, thats not a slight on him, injuries robbed him of the potential.

Seemed to be cursed with Lbers; Sean Lee, Dat Nguyen, LVE, and now welcome to the club Overshown.
All great players on the field, just couldnt stay on there long enough, wish them all the best.

edit: Hopefully Overshown can break the curse

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I will say this....Screw Trent Williams for his injury....never saw a more blatant penalty....no call. Literally grabbed the guy....and drove him into the ground head first. Complete BS.

Motorola

Reaction score
Wish him well. Hope he shows up at TC though, and helps some of the young LB's out they bring in.
Kind of like Charles Haley would show up to give the DL some pointers.
'Jazzcat22' - it would be appreciated if he did that.
But my sense of the guy is that LVE will go back to Idaho...return to his roots to do and enjoy what he grew up experiencing...and become a mentor of sorts to the youth growing up as he did.

CowboysFanLover

Reaction score
I will say this....Screw Trent Williams for his injury....never saw a more blatant penalty....no call. Literally grabbed the guy....and drove him into the ground head first. Complete BS.
Yeah but if he comes to the Cowboys, you would support him so it can not work both ways

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
WOW.
You comparing Vander Esch's retirement to the blatant, overblown "will he or won't he" back & forth soap opera that Farve orchestrated over the last three seasons of his career?
YOUR TAKE IS ABSURD.
No, it's just insensitive. No disrespect to the wolf, he gave it all on the field. Just known for a long time this was going to happen. Best of luck and hopefully he quit soon enough to be able to live his life without lingering effects from those neck/spine issues.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Can’t blame him for retiring his body let him down like it does for everyone. Unfortunately it cut his career short, and had an impact on his play post injury. LVE was still a solid a player and leader for this team. I enjoyed his performance and the wolf hunter howl! I hope he enjoys his retirement and the next chapter in his life.

Motorola

Reaction score
No, it's just insensitive. No disrespect to the wolf, he gave it all on the field. Just known for a long time this was going to happen. Best of luck and hopefully he quit soon enough to be able to live his life without lingering effects from those neck/spine issues.
Yeah- most Cowboys fans had a feeling with the setbacks after his rookie year that LVE wasn't destined for a long NFL career.

But comparing his ending to Farve's - whose had a number of transgressions - medical addiction/abuse formost - that the league overlooked because of his accomplishments and stature...
it just seemed to me equating Vander Esch's last few underachieving seasons with Farve's retirement vacilating BS wasn't warranted.

Last edited:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
He was solid especially against the run but If you listen to many here they thought he was terrible. He became a whipping boy for some fans. Many were down on him because his level of play dropped off after his neck injury. He was terrific his rookie year. I thought he might end up a HOF player had he not been injured.
why is it that when you respond to a thread... you always take a blind swipe at other posters? it seems to be a norm with you on various topics.

erod

Reaction score
Relieved for him. Not worth the risk with that type of injury history. Thought he should have retired a couple years ago.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
why is it that when you respond to a thread... you always take a blind swipe at other posters? it seems to be a norm with you on various topics.
Why is it that you always focus on me and not the topic? The other day you were complaining about me always arguing about QBs. I didn’t take a swipe at any particular poster. I take shots at the fan base all the time and the only fans that get offended are the ones that fall into the category I’m referring to. You must have been one of those who were bashing LVE.