News: Former Cowboys star Greg Ellis named Texas College head coach

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well the headline is true that all Cowboy players have a star on their helmet. So in that sense he was a Cowboy 'star'. Good for Ellis on his new venture.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Surprised that he never got a shot here to coach. He was a really disciplined and technically solid player.

It wouldn’t surprise me if his flair for the dramatic and high maintenance attitude towards the end of his career hurt his chances at getting a shot here. I seem to recall he became pretty needy and required a lot of reassurance towards the end.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whats the team nickname? The Whiners?

Although he was a whiner. I do remember a quote from his coach at NC, after the draft regarding Ellis. When asked what kind of man he is the coach said "If I died tomorrow, I would want Greg Ellis to raise my kids.." Thats a pretty powerful statement.
I don’t really buy into the whiner label. I understood his concern. Frankly I didn’t think his move to 3-4 OLB made much sense either, and for a guy at his point in his career I understood his worry about the harm to his career as it wound down. It worked out much better than I thought.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Guy was a solid 12 sack a year guy
Except for the ten seasons that he wasn’t :p

Like someone else the first thing that popped in my head was “was Greg Ellis a star”? I guess you at least have to think about it, but i don’t think so.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t really buy into the whiner label. I understood his concern. Frankly I didn’t think his move to 3-4 OLB made much sense either, and for a guy at his point in his career I understood his worry about the harm to his career as it wound down. It worked out much better than I thought.

He also faked an injury at one point and wouldn’t practice until JJ changed his contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also faked an injury at one point and wouldn’t practice until JJ changed his contract.
I’m not recalling that, but I can’t say it didn’t happen. I remember Ratliff faking an injury

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except for the ten seasons that he wasn’t :p

Like someone else the first thing that popped in my head was “was Greg Ellis a star”? I guess you at least have to think about it, but i don’t think so.

He was a good player, but you are right, not a star player.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if his flair for the dramatic and high maintenance attitude towards the end of his career hurt his chances at getting a shot here. I seem to recall he became pretty needy and required a lot of reassurance towards the end.

Mike Zimmer - his DC - brought him to work with the Vikings DL several times.

Also, we employ Leon Lett, who, while a good coach, generated 28 games suspended and several high profile blunders. But yeah, the FO shunned Ellis because he briefly griped about changing positions.

Turrible take.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A devastating career threatening broken leg. Now that was a fake of the century. :laugh:

Yes, not the same issue, but had to throw it out there. :D