News: Former Cowboys star Greg Ellis named Texas College head coach

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8-12 it’s all irrelevant! Lol
In 10 of his 12 years he had 8 or less, and he only reached double digits once.

I'm not saying he was a bad player, and in fact he was a strong player with a very nice career, but he was not a big sack guy. He was more of a solid all around DE.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not saying he was a bad player, and in fact he was a strong player with a very nice career, but he was not a big sack guy. He was more of a solid all around DE.

Yes overall solid player. Did his job and was consistent.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am in Texas and never heard of TEXAS COLLEGE lol..what part of Texas is this?

cern

Reaction score
he was the first defensive end i ever saw drop back in pass coverage successfully. pretty good instincts. hope he learned a few things from the great parcells.

Rayman70

Reaction score
looks like is a black school, methodist, in Tyler Texas. Interesting how I didnt hear of it til now lol. Good for Greg though. Should be a good HC.

Aven8

Reaction score

Well it should have been Randy Moss but Irvin spooked the brass with his troubles and we ended up with Ellis........

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am in Texas and never heard of TEXAS COLLEGE lol..what part of Texas is this?
Same here, was going to look it up, but have not done so yet. Trying to do 5 other things right now.
I thought the same thing. I looked it up, and it's in Tyler, and has existed since the late 1800's. It was a traditionally black college affiliated with the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, and in athletics competes in the NAIA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Eh he is 3rd all-time in sacks among Cowboys.

8 sacks a year was quite a lot back when teams ran the ball 55-60% of the time and like 2 teams regularly ran 3 WR sets as a base offense. But he was never an elite sack guy, no. Just very steady and good.

Ellis was a great team guy and took a lot of heat for simply not being Randy Moss. --which was one of the first cases where fans had zero situational awareness as Randy would have been eaten alive by all the media attention to his every move if he were a Cowboy.

Aven8

Reaction score

8 sacks a year was quite a lot back when teams ran the ball 55-60% of the time and like 2 teams regularly ran 3 WR sets as a base offense. But he was never an elite sack guy, no. Just very steady and good.

Ellis was a great team guy and took a lot of heat for simply not being Randy Moss. --which was one of the first cases where fans had zero situational awareness as Randy would have been eaten alive by all the media attention to his every move if he were a Cowboy.

That’s my point about Ellis. We always say if this dude or that dude could give us 8 sacks that would be gold. He did.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the same thing. I looked it up, and it's in Tyler, and has existed since the late 1800's. It was a traditionally black college affiliated with the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, and in athletics competes in the NAIA.

Ahh, now I remember. When I drive to Florida, I take I-20, and now remember seeing signs for it as I see exits for Tyler.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Realistically, he averaged 7 sacks per season, and is 3rd in sacks among Cowboys because he had a decent, but not outstanding sack total over a long career, and because sacks weren't an official stat until 1982, so the numbers of guys like Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Bob Lilly and Randy White weren't counted.

He just retired 11 years ago, not in an era where 8 sacks was quite a lot. Over his career the league leaders usually had double that or more.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle him because I loved him and thought he was a strong player for the Cowboys. I'm just setting the record straight as to the kind of player he was, and he was a guy who could contribute sacks, but he was not a big sack guy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Greg was not ab edge bendy guy..he was a hold the point, power edge guy. He was a heavy handed, great technique guy. NOTHING like Ware etc.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whats the team nickname? The Whiners?

Although he was a whiner. I do remember a quote from his coach at NC, after the draft regarding Ellis. When asked what kind of man he is the coach said "If I died tomorrow, I would want Greg Ellis to raise my kids.." Thats a pretty powerful statement.
What makes you say he was a whiner?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes you say he was a whiner?
I think what they are referring to is when Parcells came and switched to a 3-4 defense, he wanted to convert Ellis to an OLB, and Ellis was concerned that would derail his career, and that he could end up spending a lot of time on the bench. The Cowboys assured him that wasn't the case, so he asked for a contract extension as evidence the team considered him to be an important part of its plans.

I personally understood his concern, and frankly thought he would be a square peg in a round hole as a 3-4 OLB, but he actually performed well in that role.