News: Former Cowboys star Greg Ellis named Texas College head coach

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think what they are referring to is when Parcells came and switched to a 3-4 defense, he wanted to convert Ellis to an OLB, and Ellis was concerned that would derail his career, and that he could end up spending a lot of time on the bench. The Cowboys assured him that wasn't the case, so he asked for a contract extension as evidence the team considered him to be an important part of its plans.

I personally understood his concern, and frankly thought he would be a square peg in a round hole as a 3-4 OLB, but he actually performed well in that role.
I don't see how asking for an extension, especially under those circumstances, could be construed as whining. Hell, not only did he play where they wanted him to, after so many years of playing his natural position, but he did it well, and never quit.

I'm guessing Parcells made a fuss about it, and made it seem like he was whining. People always seem to think everything Parcells said was gold.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how asking for an extension, especially under those circumstances, could be construed as whining. Hell, not only did he play where they wanted him to, after so many years of playing his natural position, but he did it well, and never quit.

I'm guessing Parcells made a fuss about it, and made it seem like he was whining. People always seem to think everything Parcells said was gold.
I think part of it was that Ellis wouldn't publically say he wouldn't hold out without a new deal, but I don't think he indicated he would either. To me he had every right to be concerned about his job status and his livelihood, especially at a late point in his career where he didn't have many more years to make an NFL salary left.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think part of it was that Ellis wouldn't publically say he wouldn't hold out without a new deal, but I don't think he indicated he would either. To me he had every right to be concerned about his job status and his livelihood, especially at a late point in his career where he didn't have many more years to make an NFL salary left.
I don't think holding out would have been an option for him at that point, especially with Parcells being the HC.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The should have picked Randy Moss. They are going to regret for the rest of their lives passing on Randy Moss for Greg Ellis.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Realistically, he averaged 7 sacks per season, and is 3rd in sacks among Cowboys because he had a decent, but not outstanding sack total over a long career, and because sacks weren't an official stat until 1982, so the numbers of guys like Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Bob Lilly and Randy White weren't counted.

He just retired 11 years ago, not in an era where 8 sacks was quite a lot. Over his career the league leaders usually had double that or more.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle him because I loved him and thought he was a strong player for the Cowboys. I'm just setting the record straight as to the kind of player he was, and he was a guy who could contribute sacks, but he was not a big sack guy.
He had 84 sacks for his career.
It's hard to pretend that type of guy didn't bring pressure.
The 7 sacks average was after having only 3 sacks in two of his first three seasons.
His sack per game average with Dallas is essentially equal to Jim Jeffcoat.

I'm not sure how many NFL players you think average 8 sacks per season for a career but it's not a lot.
Too Tall for instance had 57.5 sacks in his final 8 seasons for Dallas, the portion that counted sacks as a stat.
Tony Tolbert, whom Greg replaced, had 59 sacks over 9 seasons.
Demarcus Lawrence has only had 39 sacks. And that's with a monster sack season averaged in to bring him to less than 8.

Put another way, if Greg would have averaged 10 versus 8 he'd be going to the Hall of Fame.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I'll always be a fan of Greg Ellis and wish nothing but the best for him. He was always in a no win situation and handled it with class. He turned himself into an olb in 06 and looked great doing it. His injury that year was a huge blow to the team. He was always fantastic vs the nfc east.

I hope he becomes a great coach.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had 84 sacks for his career.
It's hard to pretend that type of guy didn't bring pressure.
The 7 sacks average was after having only 3 sacks in two of his first three seasons.
His sack per game average with Dallas is essentially equal to Jim Jeffcoat.

I'm not sure how many NFL players you think average 8 sacks per season for a career but it's not a lot.
Too Tall for instance had 57.5 sacks in his final 8 seasons for Dallas, the portion that counted sacks as a stat.
Tony Tolbert, whom Greg replaced, had 59 sacks over 9 seasons.
Demarcus Lawrence has only had 39 sacks. And that's with a monster sack season averaged in to bring him to less than 8.

Put another way, if Greg would have averaged 10 versus 8 he'd be going to the Hall of Fame.
I didn't say he didn't bring pressure, so that's not a point.

Career sacks is based as much on longevity as it is yearly production. If you play long enough career stats will add up even if the yearly average isn't among the top guys.

And yes, his average is affected by some low seasons at the beginning of his career, just as it was affected by one outlier 12 sack season late in his career, but that's what average is for, to smooth out the few highs and lows and get a view that encompasses the whole career. The average of every other NFL player is calculated the same way.

As for Too Tall, he was 31 years old before they ever started counting sack stats, and he had 7 years in his prime without the NFL counting stats. As for Tolbert, I agree he wasn't as good a pass rusher as Ellis, but I never said he was.

You seem to think I am disparaging Ellis, and I have explained that I am not. And you seem to think I have said Ellis was a terrible pass rusher, and I have not done that either. I have merely said he was not a top sack guy, and that is true. He was good, but not a top tier guy in that particular category. There is really no way to say he was.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ellis was a very good player playing in bad circumstances for most of his career. He played with a bunch of scrubs on the d-line until Ware got here. Never understood the bad rap he gets from many here.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think what they are referring to is when Parcells came and switched to a 3-4 defense, he wanted to convert Ellis to an OLB, and Ellis was concerned that would derail his career, and that he could end up spending a lot of time on the bench. The Cowboys assured him that wasn't the case, so he asked for a contract extension as evidence the team considered him to be an important part of its plans.

I personally understood his concern, and frankly thought he would be a square peg in a round hole as a 3-4 OLB, but he actually performed well in that role.

this is not completely true. The switch to the 3-4 was made in 2005. Greg played Defensive end in 2005. In the offseason going into the 06 year Parcells told Ellis he wanted him to switch to OLB. Parcells explained to him how it could extend his career and how it would be best for the team. Gregg was hesitant and thought he would fail at it and they would use it as an excuse to cut him and he said so publicly. He never held out or anything that I remember. He just spoke his mind. He ended up looking great in the preseason at olb and had a great start to the season before being injured I think it was at arizona and then carpenter had to play his position the rest of the way. It was a huge blow to the defense.

the next year wade changed the 3-4 to his style up front and when ellis was healthy he returned, I think it was the rams game he returned and he was playing with his hand in the ground after Anthony Spencer was drafted to play opposite Demarcus Ware. Ellis had a good 07 season.

I wish we had an end as productive and reliable as Gregg Ellis right now. At the moment we have aldon smith, dorance armstrong and Demarcus lawrence. Lawrence and Smith are always a suspension risk....plus lawrence is injured a lot and armstrong is a spare who does not produce.