THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's coming back to haunt us!

Former Cowboys TE Sean McKeon signs with Detroit Lions​

Todd Brock
Thu, May 16, 2024

Former Cowboys tight end Sean McKeon has found a new team, and it will make 2024 a homecoming season for the ex-Michigan Wolverine.

The 26-year-old has signed with the Detroit Lions, per a report from the team on Thursday. He’ll vie for a roster spot alongside Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright, Parker Hesse, and several others.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-cowboys-te-sean-mckeon-163618449.html

Jarntt

Reaction score
I know we had no interest but I hope we don’t miss his blocking. IMO it’s important to have a really good blocking TE and not just guys who can block some. I thought losing Bell a few years back hurt us also. I’m excited to see if any of the young guys take their blocking to the next level

rambo2

Reaction score
I know we had no interest but I hope we don’t miss his blocking. IMO it’s important to have a really good blocking TE and not just guys who can block some. I thought losing Bell a few years back hurt us also. I’m excited to see if any of the young guys take their blocking to the next level
The rookie from Minnesota is an awesome blocker.

rambo2

Reaction score
Right now he is a UDFA who hopefully makes the team and even if he does may or may not be active on game day.
I know what he is. They paid him a lot to sign. A good chance that he will make the team.

Gambit

Reaction score
Right now he is a UDFA who hopefully makes the team and even if he does may or may not be active on game day.
So was Sean Mckeon, and was no longer on the team. I'm not sure of your point.

Jarntt

Reaction score
So was Sean Mckeon, and was no longer on the team. I'm not sure of your point.
I thought it was pretty clear. The point is there is no guarantee that Spann-Ford will be an "awesome blocker" for the Cowboys this year on game day. This would require him to first make the 53 man roster, second make the game day roster every week, third get enough snaps to make an impact and 4th be considered an awesome blocker at the NFL level in his first year in the league.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He was the dark horse that I hoped we weren't thinking about keeping!!! Let's work on Stephens, the UDFA, schoon and Ferg!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched a good number of Detroit Lions games last season. They proactively spread the ball around in that offense. Tight ends behind Sam LaPorta were getting respectable receiving opportunities whenever they hit the field.

This is an excellent second chance for Sean McKeon to show what he is capable of--albeit in a limited capacity. I almost always dislike losing a player to another team but a player's career is his own. Hopefully, he makes the best out of a fresh start.

Gambit

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear. The point is there is no guarantee that Spann-Ford will be an "awesome blocker" for the Cowboys this year on game day. This would require him to first make the 53 man roster, second make the game day roster every week, third get enough snaps to make an impact and 4th be considered an awesome blocker at the NFL level in his first year in the league.
Ok.

No guarantees about anything in life.

But hey, Sean Mckeon rueage season has begun.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sean McKeon was barely hanging on in the league. The cowboys chose not to resign him. His blocking is easily replaceable. Spann-Ford makes sense as that replacement.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Sean McKeon was barely hanging on in the league. The cowboys chose not to resign him. His blocking is easily replaceable. Spann-Ford makes sense as that replacement.
Again, I didn't see anyone say different with McKeon and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make their 53. I also am excited for Spain-Ford, but the discussion was there is no guarantee he even makes the team, let alone plays a significant role. One or two UDFAs per year seem t find their way onto our 53 and many more on the PS...but many more do not and there have been guys every year who were thought highly enough of to give a large (relatively speaking of course) signing bonus to who never saw the field on Sunday. I'm not sure if you are saying you disagree with that or not and will assume you don't, but I'll just lay it out so you get the gist of the conversation

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
did some digging on twitter,looks like he will be healthy for Camp

I was impressed with John Stephens last year as an athletic TE who was a developmental project with huge upside. I’m hoping he can be back to his athletic self by late summer.