Former GM - Fire McCarthy

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I dunno either that's why I asked.

I do think fresh out of college coaches have a pretty poor record going directly NFL. The disciplinarian and mentor thing doesn't seem to work well.
Thanks Steve.
I know great coaches dont grow on trees.
Great GMs Churn through them and can see fairly quickly if one is "special" or not.
Thats is one of Jerry's greatest failing as GM:
His Coaching selections have been for the most part disasters.
To compound it, he stays with his bad decisions forever instead of cutting his looses (Garrett for example).
Jerry just does have the ability to judge coaching talent except for Jimmy.
Guess he was the blind squirrell finding the nut right off the bat with that selection.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
MM isn't the problem. He's part of the solution and why we even have had a shot to get into the playoffs.

He manages the players on this team very well. Other than KM, he also has a very good coaching staff and structure.

Dak = Garrett/Jerry guy.
Schultz = Garrett/Jerry guy.
Zeke (Was a blue chip monster) = Garrett/Jerry guy.

Those were the worst 3 players on offense the last game and the offense is what lost us the game. The defense was terrific and put in many terrible positions.

kevm3

Reaction score
He's a former GM for a reason. Dude hasn't been employed by a NFL franchise in years. Not McCarthys fault he's strapped with the QB and OC he didn't pick. Dude went back to back years with 12 wins despite that. He's the one who said the identity and heart of our team was the defense. McCarthy has his warts but he shouldn't be the scapegoat.
McCarthy didn't go 12and 5 back to back by himself. He did it when Quinn came in and made the defense significantly better. The team was looking atrocious when Mike Nolan was here.

Mike will be here regardless because he fits the mold of puppet Jerry coach and we'll continue to field soft teams that get beat up in the playoffs with hard nosed coaches that execute and GMs that are willing to can you if you don't perform.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
McCarthy didn't go 12and 5 back to back by himself. He did it when Quinn came in and made the defense significantly better. The team was looking atrocious when Mike Nolan was here.

Mike will be here regardless because he fits the mold of puppet Jerry coach and we'll continue to field soft teams that get beat up in the playoffs with hard nosed coaches that execute and GMs that are willing to can you if you don't perform.
How is he a puppet?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks Steve.
I know great coaches dont grow on trees.
Great GMs Churn through them and can see fairly quickly if one is "special" or not.
Thats is one of Jerry's greatest failing as GM:
His Coaching selections have been for the most part disasters.
To compound it, he stays with his bad decisions forever instead of cutting his looses (Garrett for example).
Jerry just does have the ability to judge coaching talent except for Jimmy.
Guess he was the blind squirrell finding the nut right off the bat with that selection.
Quite alright ol chap. Now that pressures off I feel compelled to have civil discussions.:D
I think jimmy and jerry were friends so it was a natural combo.

DStar22

Reaction score
So every GM in the business has 4 Superbowls or more compared to Jerrys 3 and almost 4 in a row we need one of the GM's that have more Superbowls than Jerry P.S. not many of them out there
Jimmy won those 3 superbowls and Jerry was lucky to have him. how do i know?

27 years without any great teams in the playoffs.

under McCarthy it is FINALLY getting corrected somewhat on both sides of the ball, but we are going to have to put the final piece in to win one and his initials are not DP

Big_D

Reaction score
Jayron Kearse’s post says all you need to know about this silliness. The players like playing for McCarthy

You can mention any coach or any player and he’d make that same face. It’s why players don’t run football teams. Now someone tweet him about Zeke or Moore?

Big_D

Reaction score

under McCarthy it is FINALLY getting corrected somewhat on both sides of the ball, but we are going to have to put the final piece in to win one and his initials are not DP
Then it’s not really getting corrected

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Love to see kearse defend MM. whether we like him or not it’s clear the players respect and like big Mike and for me that means more than my opinion or the takes here on CZ

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine firing a coach that just had back-to-back 12 win seasons. lol Yes, I get the playoff record, but the guy is hamstrung by his QB. If Dak wasn't busy throwing to the Niners, it's a high possibility we are talking about how McCarthy finally got us over the hump to the NFC Championship game. This all on the fact they were on their 4th road game.

I'm good with McCarthy.

I just think it's time to look past Dak (I know, I know. I'm saying start planning for a couple years down the road) and a new OC. As a Boise State fan, I love KM and wish him all the luck in the world, but I do feel it's time for a fresh face on offense. Who knows, maybe somebody can come in here and straighten Dak up a bit. At least get him to stop throwing picks.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Let’s look at the last 3 minutes of the game, from punting, to taking too long to punt, what a joke our head coach is…and that’s last play…wow…

Creeper

Reaction score
I've heard better ideas in this forum. I don't agree with this guy at all.

Do the Cowboys need more discipline? Yes, but that is not why we lost to the 49ers. First off, I am convinced the refs called it closer for Dallas than SF. Some of the penalties the refs missed on SF were obvious and consequential. The ones one Dallas, some of them, we not as obvious and still consequential. Call some of those penalties on SF and it stall their drives, give Dallas back the ball, and maybe the defense is less tired at the end and the offense has better field position. I am not saying the refs cost Dallas the game. I am saying that the Cowboys were no more lacking discipline than the 49ers.

As for the turnovers. Talk to Dak. He is responsible for most of them. The Cowboys actually had very few fumbles this year. But they had a lot of bad interceptions, and bad breaks. The tipped passes picked off are bad breaks. Most times tipped passes fall incomplete but the Cowboys got burned badly a few times this y ear. just bad luck - and bad receivers. But McCarthy is not alone in fault for the receivers they Cowboys have.

If McCarthy the best coach? No, but making a change at HC for this reason is stupid. Like the QB, if you fire the HC you better have someone better.

Big_D

Reaction score
Let’s look at the last 3 minutes of the game, from punting, to taking too long to punt, what a joke our head coach is…and that’s last play…wow…
I’m definitely not seeing anything that inspires confidence come playoff time. Unless getting mocked is the new standard. He’s a step up from Garrett, that’s for dam sure, but who will the coach be that can take the next step? The final 2 plays alone have been disastrous.

You expected after last years debacle that they would be prepared, hungry and POed but instead it was the usual choke job and ridiculous ending. A laughingstock is tough to overcome!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I've heard better ideas in this forum. I don't agree with this guy at all.

Do the Cowboys need more discipline? Yes, but that is not why we lost to the 49ers. First off, I am convinced the refs called it closer for Dallas than SF. Some of the penalties the refs missed on SF were obvious and consequential. The ones one Dallas, some of them, we not as obvious and still consequential. Call some of those penalties on SF and it stall their drives, give Dallas back the ball, and maybe the defense is less tired at the end and the offense has better field position. I am not saying the refs cost Dallas the game. I am saying that the Cowboys were no more lacking discipline than the 49ers.

As for the turnovers. Talk to Dak. He is responsible for most of them. The Cowboys actually had very few fumbles this year. But they had a lot of bad interceptions, and bad breaks. The tipped passes picked off are bad breaks. Most times tipped passes fall incomplete but the Cowboys got burned badly a few times this y ear. just bad luck - and bad receivers. But McCarthy is not alone in fault for the receivers they Cowboys have.

If McCarthy the best coach? No, but making a change at HC for this reason is stupid. Like the QB, if you fire the HC you better have someone better.
I mean, I think there is a good argument that McCarthy actually did improve the discipline compared to last season. It was pretty clear our players got frustrated last season against the 49ers due to how physical they were which is why we had 14 penalties. We handled it much better this time around. McCarthy made obvious major improvements in this area.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Funny, I think most GMs will say fire the GM. 28 Years without an NFC championship showing. What is our playoff record since?? It doesn't matter who you bring in, how many great players that you have, and we have had a lot. **** rolls downhill.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

Jerry bought him every player he wanted