Former GM - Fire McCarthy

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
A good disciplinarian would be good even if it was just as a shock to the system for a short time.
Tuna coming in that first year was one of those shocks to the system and probably one of his best coaching
jobs with what he had on the team that year,

However I will say this. A coach that is just a disciplinarian and always being hardcore tends to wear thin after some time. I remember Aikman talking about how Jimmy would make up scenarios of drama to try to keep the players on the edge and Aikman said that worked for time but it got too old. There have also been players that did well under Coughlin but said his style got old after sometime and stagnated the team...however I have also read/heard that he had some crazy out there rules and fining a LOT of players. One player got fined for sitting on the bench during a game...he was not playing in the game or dressed. He was a good coach and he made players and teams better but it also wore thin after some time and it hurt him at times. Later he talked about being approached by other coaches because he needed to be a little better to the players and treat them like humans,
The days of screaming belligerent slobbering spitting and cursing coaches are gone It does not work anymore and I do not want one

Rajveer

Reaction score
He is the worst GM in the history of worst GM's. Nobody can/should take what he has to say as anything but dribble, and a waste of air time.
He is the second worse GM. The worse one is associated with the Dallas Cowboys.

Jipper

Reaction score
I'm all for turning over the entire staff over, get drastic...but it won't happen

lukin2006

Reaction score
All I need to know about MM is that he punted the ball with 3 minutes left. He's a terrible head coach who got lucky in Green Bay because of Rogers.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Won’t happen, Uncle Jed and Jethro are still trying to figure out how to fit a square peg into the round whole and Jethro just said By Golly I am close.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Jerry would never hire or allow anyone to coach Dem Boyz but a Yes man. That is the real reason Payton would never come here.... he would require almost all control including large say in the roster. J dog and Uncle Stevie would never go for that.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Jayron Kearse’s post says all you need to know about this silliness. The players like playing for McCarthy

cowboyec

Reaction score
but he always says that.
you can keep firing and hiring.
yet the one constant in all of this.....same players/same post-season results.
mccarthy got this team to 12 wins...again...despite injuries to key players.
he's not the problem.
ITS.
PLAYERS.
they are the one constant in all this.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep, the DC.Com Podcasts all seemed to agree that Dak needs a more rigid disciplined coaching set up, however, that's tempered by the idea that players 'these days' are more autonomous and less inclined to a 'hard-nosed' approach.

But JJ sets the culture and as he loves the personna of 'friend of the players (with golden protégé KM as his possible conduit to the players) then he probably loves himself some MM who's prepared to be a 'yes-man'. Indeed, hasnt JJ's last two HC'S had to work with an OC already in place.....that doesnt give control to the coach.....the control remains with Jerry.

Would a new HC have full autonomy over the Offense = NO
Given the job, would Quinn be given control over the Offense = NO (though he'd get to plan his replacement DC)
Would a HC take the job without control of the Offense = NO
Did Jerry allow MM to take control of the Offense and play calling = NO

We are stuck, because Jerry loves Offense and HE still wants to run it through HIS subordinates (Moore and previously Garrett)
Yes, this team is not going to sniff post season success as long as Jerry and his dysfunctional way are around .
Enjoy the regular season wins.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maybe I just remember how bad Jason Garrett was but I thought McCarthy did a great job and has built a really good roster as well as making the right adjustments throughout the season.

Dak’s contract is what is weighing down this franchise. We had a 12-5 football team but when you sign a QB like Dak to that much money you basically forfeit the right to win Superbowls.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I won't pile on MM's flaws or mistakes, but I'm taking DQ over MM everyday. It's been awesome having a very good defense. Promote DQ to HC, that's what Jerry n Stephen should be working on right now.

Xeven

Reaction score
Only Mistake McCarthy made was not putting Dak on the Bench after second INT. There is a track record before that game and Dak was causing the Cowboys to lose this game. Shoulda put Rush in to change the pace.

EJK24

Reaction score
Im not advocating for firing McCarthy but the one thing I disagree with is saying he got stuck with Moore so it's essentially not his fault for the offense.

Taking Dak out of things for a moment, when he took the job he should have brought his own OC, or, if you're going to keep Moore, accept that as your guy/hire.

If he was "forced" to keep Moore, he shouldn't have taken the job if he didn't want him as his OC. You're taking that guy on and accepting responsibility for him if he's on your staff. Either bring in your own guy or take the consequences of his failure without any built in excuse. I know Mike hasn't said he was forced to keep the guy but it seems to be the narrative to some degree.

Mike shouldn't be fired but if he has Moore back next year, then he should be blamed as much as anyone.