Former GM - Fire McCarthy

nobody

Reaction score
It won't matter who you get as HC if the GM remains the same. The GM has proven time and again that he's on the players side and hampers the HC. The discipline problems have been around since way longer than the current HC. Who's the common denominator? Who wants to be buddy buddy with the players?

At least McCarthy is getting most of them to play hard with a lot of his tools confiscated by Jerry. There's no accountability and that rests squarely on Jerry. So firing McCarthy and hiring someone else will yield the exact same results.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I mean I don't think he's wrong here.

I don't think McCarthy gives us any kind of edge, especially when the pressure ratchets up and the comp ratchets up in the postseason. I am kind of Switzerland on McCarthy at this point. IMO, if he is back (and I see no reason he won't be based on what Jerry has said), I really think they need to make a change at OC. Not that I think Moore is terrible or that he's to blame for the collapses in the playoffs the last two years. I just think Dak is here because of his contract. Just get him a new voice and a fresh scheme.

But hey, if they want to blow up the whole staff? Fine by me. There's nothing particularly impressive about our coaching staff.

Ask yourself this. Did anyone think the Cowboys had an advantage at HC on Sunday with Shanahan standing on the other sideline?
Yes. McCarthy and Quinn had the team ready. Even the OL, Pollard and Lamb were ready......Moore didn't have his QB ready

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was a third stringer for a reason and Shanahan is squeezing blood from a stone. Maybe he is a steal but it doesn't change the fact Shanahan is doing all of this with a rookie 7th rounder and McCarthy had his proven, 7 year vet that some around here thinks is one of the 10 best QBs in football.

My overall point is that maybe for once, we should have that top 3 HC instead of the retreads and people Jerry can manipulate.
It doesn't matter where he was drafted or where he was on the depth chart - he hasn't been playing like a third stringer. And I don't think it's all Shanahan, Lance looked like crap and it's not like he got stud play from Jimmy G either....he's been pretty inconsistent. I would say Purdy has been the most consistent.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy gives us any kind of edge, especially when the pressure ratchets up and the comp ratchets up in the postseason. I am kind of Switzerland on McCarthy at this point. IMO, if he is back (and I see no reason he won't be based on what Jerry has said), I really think they need to make a change at OC. Not that I think Moore is terrible or that he's to blame for the collapses in the playoffs the last two years. I just think Dak is here because of his contract. Just get him a new voice and a fresh scheme.

But hey, if they want to blow up the whole staff? Fine by me. There's nothing particularly impressive about our coaching staff.

Ask yourself this. Did anyone think the Cowboys had an advantage at HC on Sunday with Shanahan standing on the other sideline?
McCarthy is meh. Maybe hamstrung in what he *might* have been without Jerry's hand picked OC Boy Genius, but hamstrung or not, I don't see any *edge* provided by McCarthy.

I was excited at the potential to *combine* McCarthy's West Coast and game management with Moore's Coryell and Idaho Ball schemes.
But mostly I just see GarrettBall. Everybody run downfield, stop, and turnaround. Maybe that's just what they all give Dak when they lose faith in him.

If McCarthy isn't contributing to the offense, what's his value add? Particularly inspiring?

He's *supposed* to be the QB Whisperer. How has that worked out? How much has he improved Dak? Or for that matter, Moore?

Anyone think we wouldn't be better off dumping McCarthy for Quinn? At least we get a DC doing good work that way.

McCarthy is a gameday upgrade over Garrett. That's a damn low hurdle. We should be getting more out of our HC.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Nothing against Mac
But I want a hard-nosed disciplinarian
That will demand accountability including from the qb.
Someone in the Jimmy Johnson mold.
Our GM would never do it though.
Yep, the DC.Com Podcasts all seemed to agree that Dak needs a more rigid disciplined coaching set up, however, that's tempered by the idea that players 'these days' are more autonomous and less inclined to a 'hard-nosed' approach.

But JJ sets the culture and as he loves the personna of 'friend of the players (with golden protégé KM as his possible conduit to the players) then he probably loves himself some MM who's prepared to be a 'yes-man'. Indeed, hasnt JJ's last two HC'S had to work with an OC already in place.....that doesnt give control to the coach.....the control remains with Jerry.

Would a new HC have full autonomy over the Offense = NO
Given the job, would Quinn be given control over the Offense = NO (though he'd get to plan his replacement DC)
Would a HC take the job without control of the Offense = NO
Did Jerry allow MM to take control of the Offense and play calling = NO

We are stuck, because Jerry loves Offense and HE still wants to run it through HIS subordinates (Moore and previously Garrett)

pancakeman

Reaction score
A good disciplinarian would be good even if it was just as a shock to the system for a short time.
Tuna coming in that first year was one of those shocks to the system and probably one of his best coaching
jobs with what he had on the team that year,

However I will say this. A coach that is just a disciplinarian and always being hardcore tends to wear thin after some time. I remember Aikman talking about how Jimmy would make up scenarios of drama to try to keep the players on the edge and Aikman said that worked for time but it got too old. There have also been players that did well under Coughlin but said his style got old after sometime and stagnated the team...however I have also read/heard that he had some crazy out there rules and fining a LOT of players. One player got fined for sitting on the bench during a game...he was not playing in the game or dressed. He was a good coach and he made players and teams better but it also wore thin after some time and it hurt him at times. Later he talked about being approached by other coaches because he needed to be a little better to the players and treat them like humans,
Yes and I would add to that I suspect that with younger generations, patience for disciplinarian motivation is getting shorter and shorter.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
McCarthy is meh. Maybe hamstrung in what he *might* have been without Jerry's hand picked OC Boy Genius, but hamstrung or not, I don't see any *edge* provided by McCarthy.

I was excited at the potential to *combine* McCarthy's West Coast and game management with Moore's Coryell and Idaho Ball schemes.
But mostly I just see GarrettBall. Everybody run downfield, stop, and turnaround. Maybe that's just what they all give Dak when they lose faith in him.

If McCarthy isn't contributing to the offense, what's his value add? Particularly inspiring?

He's *supposed* to be the QB Whisperer. How has that worked out? How much has he improved Dak? Or for that matter, Moore?

Anyone think we wouldn't be better off dumping McCarthy for Quinn? At least we get a DC doing good work that way.

McCarthy is a gameday upgrade over Garrett. That's a damn low hurdle. We should be getting more out of our HC.
Faces change, but systems don't. That smacks of Jerry's Offense. Yep Quinn would get to keep control of the Defense, but Jerry (through KM) would still maneuver the Offense.

Cmac

Reaction score
I mean I don't think he's wrong here.

.....or our OC scheming to an advantage against the Niner DC?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If I were the GM of the Cowboys and John Lynch got hammered and called me to swap HCs, I'd do it without even blinking.

Yeah, we stacked up nicely with San Fran. And yes with even mediocre QB play we may have won. But remember, McCarthy was doing that with his starter, Shanahan is doing this with his third string QB.
Shanahan has had a loaded football team for 4 years in San Francisco and won nothing. If the Cowboys had a team as loaded as the 49ers the last four years talking heads would be trying to fire Shanahan. The Cowboys are graded on a different level the everyone else. I am starting to wonder if anyone can play or coach under that type of pressure.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I watched Tannenbaum this morning explain his stance. It made sense.

Bring in a heavy handed GM to reduce the penalties and turnovers.

We all know the problems we have with those. Can't dismiss his idea as some kind of crazy out of left field notion.
Turnovers aren’t a discipline issue, they’re largely random and not reproducible year over year. This is just a statistical fact. Over any 5 year period all teams average roughly the same number of turnovers.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just get him a new voice and a fresh scheme.
This^^^^ 1000%

Did anyone think the Cowboys had an advantage at HC on Sunday with Shanahan standing on the other sideline?
True but still, the W was right there if Dak had just played average. I'm not saying MM is better than Shanahan by any means but that was a strong performance on Sunday by every element of the team except one player.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
MM is happy to be here and getting paid for it JJ is happy to have his YES man so everything is dandy
A disciplinarian coach will not work under JJ and his son.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He is the worst GM in the history of worst GM's. Nobody can/should take what he has to say as anything but dribble, and a waste of air time.
So every GM in the business has 4 Superbowls or more compared to Jerrys 3 and almost 4 in a row we need one of the GM's that have more Superbowls than Jerry P.S. not many of them out there

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I watched Tannenbaum this morning explain his stance. It made sense.

Bring in a heavy handed GM to reduce the penalties and turnovers.

We all know the problems we have with those. Can't dismiss his idea as some kind of crazy out of left field notion.
IDK Dog, our penalties this season were reduced from a year ago and turnovers pretty much fall in Dak's lap, whose strength has been ball security.

Look.....every season, every team wanna a Super Bowl but realistically know their first and only priority is to first make the playoff, and then you may have a chance. We have done that in the past 2 seasons easily. Look at the Bills, what 3-4 years straight but their coach says all they can do is to keep knocking on the door. He's right, like us, they are close there than not.

Just me, but I love this team and with the exception of a couple of players, I'd have no problem putting the same on the field in 2023. As for Dak, I was telling my co-worker any talk about getting rid of him before next season is a waste of time.

75boyz

Reaction score

Truly feel the exact same way.
Your description of his lack of game day advantage "despite" Jerry is every bit the way I feel.
I thought everything you mentioned would have shown itself in some form on game day too.
It ends up being an overall coordinator coached team with question marks regarding his actual game day input. And ultimately left wondering about all these unanswered questions you pointed out here.

Again, great post.
My sentiments exactly.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I think McCarthy for sure matched up with Shanahan and that's saying something since Shanahan is one of the better HCs in the league. I couldn't say the same about Garrett when he was here and faced McCarthy in the playoffs. If we had just slightly better QB play last Sunday, we would be in the championship right now.

49ers and Cowboys looked evenly matched for most of the game outside of a single matchup. I think there is a lot of credit to be given to McCarthy and I really don't think he's as easily replaceable as some on here think.
It was a low score on both sides and we lost by 1 score... I totally agree with what you said....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Well, he did get "let go" from multiple franchises, so Tannenbaum does know a thing or two about getting fired.

Let's see, McCarthy struggled at first, but turned the culture on it's side in Dallas and the team has improved every season. Two 12 win seasons and playoff appearances, an improvement from the two and this is taking into account that he had to use a backup QB for an entire season (collectively).

But the main thing is that he did this all while Jerry Jones is still in control. It's astounding! I mean, the Mike Nolan / Jim Tomsula experiment was dumb, but...........