Twitter: Former GM, Randy Mueller top 10 QBs under age 33, Dak's 7

blueblood70

Reaction score

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I mean this list excludes the older guard (Brady, Arod, Ben, Brees) if you include them it pushes Dak down on the 10-12 range which I don’t think raises many eyebrows in his detractors. Outside of the usual suspects obviously.
No, it doesn't because the list if for the future and thus includes kids not even drafted yet.
You don't get it both ways.

This is a former GM creating a list of QBs in the order he sees them for building around.

He used a 32 year old cut off number because that is at the end of a QBs peak age rate. 28-32 is considered peak.
It's obviously varied by QB but no one is building Tom Brady. He's a short term title chasing QB option.

Bigdog

Reaction score
For context this a former GM and the list probably undersells Dak if anything.
It includes two 32 year olds who likely do not see salary increases on new deals. Stafford and Tannehill --tho below Dak
And 1 in Russ who is very, very good.
But 3 of ten being 32 show how broad the list is.

It also includes rookie Herbert who looks good but ranks 14th in both Rating and ESPN QBR and will almost certainly have anew coach next year.
And it includes Lawrence who is a scouts spicy dream but whose play has been flat across 3 years... ALL 3 were very good but there is a sense of maxed out about Lawrence.
He's not great at avoiding sacks or getting through reads.
He honestly feels like a DeShawn Watson clone. And it is kinda cool that this ex-GM ranks him 1 spot below Watson as he recognizes that.

FWIW I'd rank 5th on this list. I'd have him ahead of Watson by 1 spot. --I think Dal processes reads a but faster and has greater deep ball tough so I'd slightly favor that over Watson's bigger arm and better pure speed.
I'd probably rank Herbert lower than Dak as well but would have Lamar Jackson on this list in that spot.
LJ does have some weaknesses as a passing QB but his unique abilities as an escape artist and runner cover a lot of passing weakness and buy time for development.
It is really hard to beat a team LJ QBs and that's ultimately the job, to win games.
Agree with you but any list that doesn’t have Carson God- like Qb Carson is just fake news or so I have been told on this board.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
For context this a former GM and the list probably undersells Dak if anything.
It includes two 32 year olds who likely do not see salary increases on new deals. Stafford and Tannehill --tho below Dak
And 1 in Russ who is very, very good.
But 3 of ten being 32 show how broad the list is.

It also includes rookie Herbert who looks good but ranks 14th in both Rating and ESPN QBR and will almost certainly have anew coach next year.
And it includes Lawrence who is a scouts spicy dream but whose play has been flat across 3 years... ALL 3 were very good but there is a sense of maxed out about Lawrence.
He's not great at avoiding sacks or getting through reads.
He honestly feels like a DeShawn Watson clone. And it is kinda cool that this ex-GM ranks him 1 spot below Watson as he recognizes that.

FWIW I'd rank 5th on this list. I'd have him ahead of Watson by 1 spot. --I think Dal processes reads a but faster and has greater deep ball tough so I'd slightly favor that over Watson's bigger arm and better pure speed.
I'd probably rank Herbert lower than Dak as well but would have Lamar Jackson on this list in that spot.
LJ does have some weaknesses as a passing QB but his unique abilities as an escape artist and runner cover a lot of passing weakness and buy time for development.
It is really hard to beat a team LJ QBs and that's ultimately the job, to win games.

It's interesting LJ doesn't make his list but I've heard/read a few nuggets some in league circles thinks he's overrated. His legs set his game. Take that away, he struggles.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak's ranking here is nothing new. It's consistent with what others the league circles have said. It's odd that his hardest critics are his own Cowboy fans, many, who see him as "just average"

Why do you consider that odd? It's the same way for any QB here unless the team wins a Super Bowl. Then, they become something more than what they actually were because there are some who put team success on the QB's shoulders.

HanD

Reaction score
It's interesting LJ doesn't make his list but I've heard/read a few nuggets some in league circles thinks he's overrated. His legs set his game. Take that away, he struggles.
I think that if he relies on his legs without developing his passing game more it could be an issue down the line as he gets older or has injuries. He isn't a big guy either.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be. When did Tom Brady ever the market? The few who did recently are elite, Mahomes and Wilson. Is Tannehill as good as Dak? I would say so maybe better. Look at his contact.
Tannehill had years and years of trash play.
Was traded to a great fit and won for 1 season then got a large contract.

TB was rich beyond measure because he married an international super model. He didn't have anything close to anyone else's experience ever and yet he really only structured deals that favored the Pats without truly hurting himself financially. BUT NE extended TB12 3 years into his rookie deal. So 2 years before FA hit. And they paid him quite well to do so.
Anyone with a working brain has pointed to that as Stephen Jones' big mistake.
A 4 year extension on that rookie deal would have been at most 32M a year and been spread over 6 years versus 4.
Dallas screwed this up and idiots who'd suffocate if you held their mouth shut can't seem to understand how we got here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yea I mean if you favor a traditional offense and fear a QB taking hits I can see why some would downrate LJ. He can make really ugly throws at times.
But BAL is winning a lot of games with LJ at the helm because he presents a defense with unique challenges.
90% of teams lack a spy they can use on LJ.
And instead must just try to bottle him by giving up traditional pass rush altogether.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think that if he relies on his legs without developing his passing game more it could be an issue down the line as he gets older or has injuries. He isn't a big guy either.
Exactly.
With LJ you are trying to use what gifts he has while developing the rest of his game.
With a young QB they don't hit their peak til like 28 so you just gotta decide if LJ is for RG3 or Russ Wilson.
I tend to think he's more Russ and will grow into the passing portion of his game as BAL adds actual WR options.

Majic

Reaction score
I would rank him in the 5-7 range, looks about right to me where Randy has him

MaineBoy

Reaction score
i'd put him in the top 5.
at the 4th spot...behind mahomes,wilson and allen...watson at 5.

THIS is the problem; insane comments like this that force rational people to react strongly. Dak is better than Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Herbert and arguably Watson ?..Dak is a little above average and probably in the top 10 but he is way closer to 10 than top 4. He does not perform at an elite level so does not merit elite money. Geez, he has trouble consistently hitting receivers in stride without putting the ball too high or low or too far behind or ahead.

HanD

Reaction score
Exactly.
With LJ you are trying to use what gifts he has while developing the rest of his game.
With a young QB they don't hit their peak til like 28 so you just gotta decide if LJ is for RG3 or Russ Wilson.
I tend to think he's more Russ and will grow into the passing portion of his game as BAL adds actual WR options.
With lamar I think it's too early to tell. They built a run heavy system around him and there is no reason the change until it gets stopped.

I would personally leave him off the list too at this point cause the other qbs are less dependent on a special system to make them successful.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
With lamar I think it's too early to tell. They built a run heavy system around him and there is no reason the change until it gets stopped.

I would personally leave him off the list too at this point cause the other qbs are less dependent on a special system to make them successful.
I think that's fair.
But I'm not ready to penalize LJ for it.
I mean I think Watson is a solid QB but his team is winning far less than LJ's by trying to make him a pocket passing icon versus running him more and playing more to TE's and Backs that can work screens and catch.

I think BAL can slowly upgrade that passing attack without really hurting anything else. WR is the easiest position to draft.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yea I mean if you favor a traditional offense and fear a QB taking hits I can see why some would downrate LJ. He can make really ugly throws at times.
But BAL is winning a lot of games with LJ at the helm because he presents a defense with unique challenges.
90% of teams lack a spy they can use on LJ.
And instead must just try to bottle him by giving up traditional pass rush altogether.

Exactly.....in other words, stopping him from using his legs is easier said and done.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak Hate has nothing to do with extension or size of contract....We know exactly what they are crying about every time they move the goal post.

Well, not everyone knows what your talking about, so why don't you just tell us, huh? Tell everyone what everyone is crying about otherwise don't make a dumb post like this hoping everyone knows. Spit it out big boy!

kskboys

Reaction score
Tannehill had years and years of trash play.
Was traded to a great fit and won for 1 season then got a large contract.

TB was rich beyond measure because he married an international super model. He didn't have anything close to anyone else's experience ever and yet he really only structured deals that favored the Pats without truly hurting himself financially. BUT NE extended TB12 3 years into his rookie deal. So 2 years before FA hit. And they paid him quite well to do so.
Anyone with a working brain has pointed to that as Stephen Jones' big mistake.
A 4 year extension on that rookie deal would have been at most 32M a year and been spread over 6 years versus 4.
Dallas screwed this up and idiots who'd suffocate if you held their mouth shut can't seem to understand how we got here.
Dallas offered him that. How did you get this so wrong? Picking a side and then forming your opinion?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak Hate has nothing to do with extension or size of contract....We know exactly what they are crying about every time they move the goal post.
What are you talking about w/ this ominous crapp?

Havic

Reaction score
My list, Dak has a greater body of work then Herbert. Alot of Qb's who start year 1 drop off in production year 2 as DC's had a full offseason to find their weaknesses. Id move Herbert past Dak if he continues to show improvement. Lawrence needs to be #10 or not on the list simply because of how many QB busts their have been.

1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Wilson
4. Dak
5. Watson
6. Herbert
7. Burrow
8. Stafford (feels like he has been in the league forever)
9. Tannehill
10. Lawrence