Former NFL HC Brian Billick on end of Cowboys season and point they are at now

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The hardest thing to do as fans is separate the last 3 years from the 25 before it. It’s hard as hell because in totality it’s damn near 30 years of failure. It’s easy to bunch everything as one utter cluster f and think man it’ll never happen. I’ve done it several times. The truth and silver lining however is that this 3 year stretch is the best stretch of cowboys football since the 90s era.

Now, that is an indictment on how far the franchise has fallen for sure and that does fall on leadership but lowered bar or not- making the playoffs 3 years in a row is hard in this league and a sign of stability which this organization hasn’t had in a long time. McCarthy and every coach is brought in to win Super Bowls, but he was also brought in to a large degree to stop the roller coaster of 8-8’s, 12-4’s, 9-7 and produce consistent winning seasons and playoff appearances. He has produced there.

Now with that comes real expectations and he’s fallen flat on deep playoff runs which why he finds himself as a lame duck and it’s time to produce real playoff success. The 2 niner losses to me while disappointing weren’t embarrassing. They were coin flip games to me at best. The packers loss however was abysmal. Just horrible. The decision to simply let McCarthy go or keep him wasn’t black and white, it was grey and nuanced. I understand why he was kept but now it’s time to produce the post season success.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As is usually the case, the Cowboys' FO tends to overestimate the talent of their own players to a point where they're unable to compete on an even level with the best teams in the NFL. During the regular season, all is well, but at playoff time the best talent and coaching comes to the fore. This has been ongoing for the past 3 decades now. I'm not anticipating that to change anytime soon but a surprise would certainly be uplifting. Nothing wrong with hoping for significant changes but counting on them is yet to be shown in the playoffs. It's high time for change and the clock is ticking.

Last edited:

Staubacher

Reaction score
Interesting take here.......

***2023 playoff game......the 49ers were the better team and played a better game
***2024 playoff game......the Cowboys were the better team but the Packers played a better game

But he nailed on how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. So many things/elements you can control but some you can not. It is why if you are a consistent playoff team, you are at least within striking distance. Do you tear it down and start over, or play the odds and tweak it a bit?

Thanks for the offer but I've cut down on copium

Staubacher

Reaction score
The hardest thing to do as fans is separate the last 3 years from the 25 before it. It’s hard as hell because in totality it’s damn near 30 years of failure. It’s easy to bunch everything as one utter cluster f and think man it’ll never happen. I’ve done it several times. The truth and silver lining however is that this 3 year stretch is the best stretch of cowboys football since the 90s era.

Now, that is an indictment on how far the franchise has fallen for sure and that does fall on leadership but lowered bar or not- making the playoffs 3 years in a row is hard in this league and a sign of stability which this organization hasn’t had in a long time. McCarthy and every coach is brought in to win Super Bowls, but he was also brought in to a large degree to stop the roller coaster of 8-8’s, 12-4’s, 9-7 and produce consistent winning seasons and playoff appearances. He has produced there.

Now with that comes real expectations and he’s fallen flat on deep playoff runs which why he finds himself as a lame duck and it’s time to produce real playoff success. The 2 niner losses to me while disappointing weren’t embarrassing. They were coin flip games to me at best. The packers loss however was abysmal. Just horrible. The decision to simply let McCarthy go or keep him wasn’t black and white, it was grey and nuanced. I understand why he was kept but now it’s time to produce the post season success.
Now is the time? LOL
It's been now is the time for quite a while and this past season was supposed to be the time. Again I think you like many others are underestimating how bad that playoff loss to the Packers was. You don't have a playoff bracket set up as well as the Cowboys did very often and they were absolutely demolished at home by a seven seed who barely made the playoffs.

That was not a loss where you say oh well we are so close let's give it another shot next year. That was a loss that completely exposes your current structure.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Now is the time? LOL
It's been now is the time for quite a while and this past season was supposed to be the time. Again I think you like many others are underestimating how bad that playoff loss to the Packers was. You don't have a playoff bracket set up as well as the Cowboys did very often and they were absolutely demolished at home by a seven seed who barely made the playoffs.

That was not a loss where you say oh well we are so close let's give it another shot next year. That was a loss that completely exposes your current structure.
It went right over you’re head…”now is the time” in the McCarthy era which is why I said in the very first sentence “separate the last 3 years from the previous 25”. I know the first sentence is a deep cut but it’s right there and exactly why I made that point to signal out the now of everything. The last 25 years don’t mean squat to right now. It’s put up or shut up time for him or they’ll be forced to move on, which is why I said specifically I don’t think the niners losses were embarrassing.

You say I’m underselling the packers loss, I think you’re being emotional about it. I said it was an abysmal loss. A horrible loss. It was most definitely not a loss where you blow everything up over. the packers played the 49ers extremely close the following week if anything you’re underselling them and it’s why if Quinn stayed his philosophy of small linebackers was going to be called into question and why now, hopefully an emphasis on lb’s with size and a scheme that can offset the shanahan offense (which Green Bay runs) will be emphasized.

It was a loss where you examine absolutely everything and put everything under the microscope but you don’t blow everything up nor did it “expose your structure”.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It went right over you’re head…”now is the time” in the McCarthy era which why I said in the very first sentence “separate the last 3 years from the previous 25”. I know the first sentence is a deep cut but it’s right there and exactly why I made that point to signal out the now of everything. The last 25 years don’t mean squat to right now. It’s put up or shut up time for him or they’ll be forced to move on.

You say I’m underselling the packers loss, I think you’re being emotional about it. I said it was an abysmal loss. A horrible loss. It was most definitely not a loss where you blow everything up over. the packers played the 49ers extremely close the following week if anything you’re underselling them and it’s why if Quinn stayed his philosophy of small linebackers was going to be called into question and why now, hopefully an emphasis on lb’s with size and a scheme that can offset the shanahan offense (which Green Bay runs).

It was a loss where you examine absolutely everything and put everything under the microscope but you don’t blow everything up or “exposes your structure”.
You are wrong. I was talking about the McCarthy era. He was completely unprepared for the playoff game. There is a HUGE difference between the Packers "playing the Niners close" and them completely mopping the floor with Dallas to the point where they could rest their starters by the 3rd quarter. Are you serious???

Nice try at condescension with the "emotional" garbage. This team isn't close but you keep drinking the kool-aid pal

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
He might be right - I don't think he is - that "subtle" changes will fix everything...but Jerry doesn't do "subtle". Game over. You're asking an elephant to play chess...with 3 inch pieces. He's more likely to trample the board than make "subtle" changes...

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Anyone who says that we were the better team and that we need subtle changes simply did not watch that game. We didn't belong on the field against Green Bay. Until we are prepared to admit that all hope is lost.
Im sorry but I feel like that is somewhat of a defeatist approach. Thats the thing in the NFL you need to bring it week in and week out. The cowboys played uptight and scared football. they played not to lose instead of playing to win and they made mistakes coming from a poor scheme and a QB lacking ability to overcome it.The packers played like they had nothing to lose and mistake free. If they play 10 times the cowboys would win 7.

There are somethings the cowboys lack that are necessary for football playoff success. A running game and a run defense are the 2 biggest things followed by a QB that dont lock up in the absence of those 2 things. the cowboys are charmin soft and have been for over a decade and half. I also think they lack complimenrtary football when it counts.I do believe the cowboys were a better team just not on that day.

I also agree with billick that the ravens were a better team than KC just not on that day and you cannot discount the whole generational talent at QB with them.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You are wrong. I was talking about the McCarthy era. He was completely unprepared for the playoff game. There is a HUGE difference between the Packers "playing the Niners close" and them completely mopping the floor with Dallas to the point where they could rest their starters by the 3rd quarter. Are you serious???

Nice try at condescension with the "emotional" garbage. This team isn't close but you keep drinking the kool-aid pal
Listen, “blowing everything up” and changing your whole “structure “ because it was “exposed” is absolutely being emotional. Those are your words. That’s an emotional decision based off a terrible loss.

You marginalized the packers by calling them a 7-seed I just simply pointed out maybe you are underselling them.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I’m not drinking the kool aid. I’m just not jilted like an emotional lover whose been heart broken screaming “I’ll never find love again”.

Listen, “blowing everything up” and changing your whole “structure “ because it was “exposed” is absolutely being emotional. Those are your words. That’s an emotional decision based off a terrible loss.

You marginalized the packers by calling them a 7-seed I just simply pointed out maybe you are underselling them.
Lol. You're the emotional one, wanting to believe your team is better than they are because it comforts you.

And why are you putting "blowing everything up" in quotes and misapplying them to me??

You're dumb and dishonest. Goodbye

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Jones’s do not care.

You can’t perform like they did in that playoff game and just carry on like nothing happened.

Its a results business and everyone now knows on Dallas it’s just a business minus the needing of results.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Lol. You're the emotional one, wanting to believe your team is better than they are because it comforts you.

And why are you putting "blowing everything up" in quotes and misapplying them to me??

You're dumb and dishonest. Goodbye
Being emotional over a team and sport you love isn’t a bad thing. There’s far more irrational things to be emotional over.

You calling me “dumb” and “dishonest” and resorting to name calling kind of just proves the point even further that you are emotional still over the loss. That’s fine. Take all the time you need. It’ll pass.

I don’t think the team is better than they are because I never had delusions with this team. I thought they were a good team not a great one and that we would need real luck to make a championship game even with the 2 seed.

Didn’t expect the Green Bay loss for sure but I feel there are roster tweaks and schematic tweaks they can make to hopefully improve the team as opposed to questioning the structure of the team in its entirety like you do.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The packers played like they had nothing to lose and mistake free. If they play 10 times the cowboys would win 7.
You might be right friend we will never know. All I can say is after watching that game I can't imagine any scenario where we win. IMHO Green Bay wins 9 times out of 10. Would require a miracle for us to win. It is like what Catch17 just said. You can't perform like they did in that playoff game and carry on like nothing happened.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
was it only a good read because he did it with grace and respect analyzing our team? If he were more harsh would it be a good read??

Aven8

Reaction score
I always enjoyed listening to Billick. The guy is a great communicator.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The Jones’s do not care.

You can’t perform like they did in that playoff game and just carry on like nothing happened.

Its a results business and everyone now knows on Dallas it’s just a business minus the needing of results.
Yup. And Jerrah confirmed "as long as they're talking about us".

Imagine any proper organization going out to their fans and saying "we are already a championship team" after a loss like that?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brian Billik sounds like he is interested in coaching again…like here in Big D. He’s just what JJ looks for: a has been “name”, capable of sucking up to JJ, and apparently ok with working in a circus environment.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who says that we were the better team and that we need subtle changes simply did not watch that game. We didn't belong on the field against Green Bay. Until we are prepared to admit that all hope is lost.
I think the fans admit it. It’s the owner/GM who is never willing to look in the mirror.