Former NFL HC Brian Billick on end of Cowboys season and point they are at now

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd rather go 3-12 next year but have 5 1st round draft picks after trading CeeDee and Micah. The search for the next franchise QB may take 10 years but it will be loads of fun as we get out hopes up that Chad Hutchinson III will be the guy this year. After all, he played baseball and has quite an arm! I will also enjoy watching Micah Parsons getting 14 sacks each year for his new team while Dallas looks for 5 or 6 pressures per game. The Cowboys defense will give up 30 points, but it will be exciting to watch us switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 every other year because we don't have the personnel for either. Think of how hopeful we will be when we lose by only 10 points instead of the usual 24. Aand every now and then, we will pull of an upset of a team that takes us for granted. Oh, my! A full week of glory!

fivetwos

Reaction score
The hardest thing to do as fans is separate the last 3 years from the 25 before it. It’s hard as hell because in totality it’s damn near 30 years of failure. It’s easy to bunch everything as one utter cluster f and think man it’ll never happen. I’ve done it several times. The truth and silver lining however is that this 3 year stretch is the best stretch of cowboys football since the 90s era.

Now, that is an indictment on how far the franchise has fallen for sure and that does fall on leadership but lowered bar or not- making the playoffs 3 years in a row is hard in this league and a sign of stability which this organization hasn’t had in a long time. McCarthy and every coach is brought in to win Super Bowls, but he was also brought in to a large degree to stop the roller coaster of 8-8’s, 12-4’s, 9-7 and produce consistent winning seasons and playoff appearances. He has produced there.

Now with that comes real expectations and he’s fallen flat on deep playoff runs which why he finds himself as a lame duck and it’s time to produce real playoff success. The 2 niner losses to me while disappointing weren’t embarrassing. They were coin flip games to me at best. The packers loss however was abysmal. Just horrible. The decision to simply let McCarthy go or keep him wasn’t black and white, it was grey and nuanced. I understand why he was kept but now it’s time to produce the post season success.
Agree on the point about the last three years vs the previous 25…but, that was the window, and the FO left the middle of this defense soft as can be when any average fan saw it, and had for years….claiming no cap space because they are worried about retaining their own jersey selling players years down the road.

So, now guys like Tyron and Martin are declining quickly, other depth players are up for second contracts, and the pressure and hostility mounts.

They don’t build from here. That was the peak and they blew it because of the dumb approach. They don’t understand open windows and that they close eventually and quickly. They seem to think they can do what no one else can and have a perpetual window. Maybe it can extended with top notch drafting and coaching….and I guess they THINK they have that, but absolutely do not. They are great at one thing….misevaluation of themselves and the yes men they hire and players they draft. Oh and making money, so two things.

Look at the two teams remaining and what they run out there in the middle of the defensive line. But they don’t sell jerseys and aren’t marketable stars, so they go cheap…and you get what you pay for.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Any conversation about improvement that does not involve one of the following (in order of importance) is pointless. This team needs real change.

1. Jerry
2. Dak
3. Mike M
4. D Flaw
5. Martin
6. Diggs
7. Tyron Smith
8. Pollard
9. Gallup

These are all people who were given the everything and have accomplished nothing. Not only accomplished nothing but have actively held the team back from accomplishing anything. IMHO every single one of them should be gone. Pretending all of the past failures never happened will only set the expectations for the next group.

Parsons, Lamb, Bland, Ferguson, Tyler Smith, Bell, Osa. These players have shown signs of being capable. They are by all accounts the future core of the team. They will be in line for big deals soon and will be expected to lead this team in the future.

Sam Williams, Jayron Kearse and LVE all need to be shown the door ASAP.

Cooks, Gilmore, Armstrong, Biadish, Steele, Wilson and Lewis. These are all fine complementary pieces that can return for the right price.

So much of the conversation starts below the first level and I know why. It starts and stopes with Jerry and there is a complete lack of accountability at the top.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Billick?? I haven't heard his name in years!!! Why are all these obscure guys coming out of the woodwork?? :laugh:

Brax

Reaction score
Interesting take here.......

***2023 playoff game......the 49ers were the better team and played a better game
***2024 playoff game......the Cowboys were the better team but the Packers played a better game

But he nailed on how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. So many things/elements you can control but some you can not. It is why if you are a consistent playoff team, you are at least within striking distance. Do you tear it down and start over, or play the odds and tweak it a bit?

Problem is they should have thrown out the baby with the bath water multiple times the last 29 years including this year. Not Jerry he likes his guys and that every one is talking Cowboys it’s a home run and another win for him in his mind, it’s his MO the last 29 seasons why would anyone expect him to change

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Agree on the point about the last three years vs the previous 25…but, that was the window, and the FO left the middle of this defense soft as can be when any average fan saw it, and had for years….claiming no cap space because they are worried about retaining their own jersey selling players years down the road.

So, now guys like Tyron and Martin are declining quickly, other depth players are up for second contracts, and the pressure and hostility mounts.

They don’t build from here. That was the peak and they blew it because of the dumb approach. They don’t understand open windows and that they close eventually and quickly. They seem to think they can do what no one else can and have a perpetual window. Maybe it can extended with top notch drafting and coaching….and I guess they THINK they have that, but absolutely do not. They are great at one thing….misevaluation of themselves and the yes men they hire and players they draft. Oh and making money, so two things.

Look at the two teams remaining and what they run out there in the middle of the defensive line. But they don’t sell jerseys and aren’t marketable stars, so they go cheap…and you get what you pay for.
We can just agree to disagree about the window. Your points on going cheap I agree with. I don’t agree with a perpetual window either and agree with you there also but there’s no reason why the cowboys can’t compete next year if, if, the right roster moves are made.

That’s a gigantic if and myself personally am not sold they’ll do that but I’m going to give them the chance to prove me wrong.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We can just agree to disagree about the window. Your points on going cheap I agree with. I don’t agree with a perpetual window either and agree with you there also but there’s no reason why the cowboys can’t compete next year if, if, the right roster moves are made.

That’s a gigantic if and myself personally am not sold they’ll do that but I’m going to give them the chance to prove me wrong.
I think they have another Hail Mary in them for the upcoming season.

But would it surprise you if Tyron and Martin are either officially done or ineffective thereafter? Who is replacing them? Richards and Bass?

How are they fixing the defense?

Can’t bring in expensive free agents. They can’t draft quality players fast enough to keep it going.

They had a few good drafts in a row and had an opportunity, but the last draft and the rest of the Micah draft are going to catch up to them shortly.

My point is…this roster is going to get worse before it can get any better. They missed their shot by trying to be cute and think they were outsmarting everyone.

SF is very aggressive with trades and FA. KC the same. They traded Tyreek and are in the SB. Think Jerry’s kid could ever pull that off?

They are at an extreme disadvantage off the field and it eventually gets exposed.

The entire organization plan is to try to collect marketable stars through the draft. Great.

starfan1

Reaction score
You might be right friend we will never know. All I can say is after watching that game I can't imagine any scenario where we win. IMHO Green Bay wins 9 times out of 10. Would require a miracle for us to win. It is like what Catch17 just said. You can't perform like they did in that playoff game and carry on like nothing happened.
well if we play we did that game yes GB wins 10 out of 10 but if both teams play to their capabilities dallas is better and wins 7 out of 10 . and i agree you cant carrry on like nothing happened. I think they need to address some things but a total rebuild isnt necessary yet IMO.

starfan1

Reaction score
Being emotional over a team and sport you love isn’t a bad thing. There’s far more irrational things to be emotional over.

You calling me “dumb” and “dishonest” and resorting to name calling kind of just proves the point even further that you are emotional still over the loss. That’s fine. Take all the time you need. It’ll pass.

I don’t think the team is better than they are because I never had delusions with this team. I thought they were a good team not a great one and that we would need real luck to make a championship game even with the 2 seed.

Didn’t expect the Green Bay loss for sure but I feel there are roster tweaks and schematic tweaks they can make to hopefully improve the team as opposed to questioning the structure of the team in its entirety like you do.
this is where Im at as well

starfan1

Reaction score
The Jones’s do not care.

You can’t perform like they did in that playoff game and just carry on like nothing happened.

Its a results business
and everyone now knows on Dallas it’s just a business minus the needing of results.
very true statement but when you define results Jerry looks at it differently. hers his measuring stick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_list_of_the_most_valuable_NFL_teams#:~:text=These areas are supported by,after the 2022 NFL season.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-regular-season-nfl-wins-last-10-years

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Interesting take here.......

***2023 playoff game......the 49ers were the better team and played a better game
***2024 playoff game......the Cowboys were the better team but the Packers played a better game

But he nailed on how hard it is to win a Super Bowl. So many things/elements you can control but some you can not. It is why if you are a consistent playoff team, you are at least within striking distance. Do you tear it down and start over, or play the odds and tweak it a bit?

This is probably the most logical media post from the media this offseason.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being emotional over a team and sport you love isn’t a bad thing. There’s far more irrational things to be emotional over.

You calling me “dumb” and “dishonest” and resorting to name calling kind of just proves the point even further that you are emotional still over the loss. That’s fine. Take all the time you need. It’ll pass.

I don’t think the team is better than they are because I never had delusions with this team. I thought they were a good team not a great one and that we would need real luck to make a championship game even with the 2 seed.

Didn’t expect the Green Bay loss for sure but I feel there are roster tweaks and schematic tweaks they can make to hopefully improve the team as opposed to questioning the structure of the team in its entirety like you do.
"Tweaks".

Hmmm....well okay then. We are so close and we like our guys!

nobody

Reaction score
Mistake letting Big Mike call anything but timeouts.

Teams figured out that Basic offense quick.

That’s why we saw all the short zones and the cover 2 robber so much.
Fair point, but we've had a very basic offense since 2016. What's the common denominator there... Rhymes with Snack. Maybe a certain player in a certain position is limited what can be run.

starfan1

Reaction score
"Tweaks".

not sure which guys youre talking about and I get that we joke about the we like our guys comments tha comes out of dallas but I would expect this tea, to look much different in 24. The core stars will be similar but of the cowboy FA I dont expect to see alot of them back. I do expect them to spend what money they can after they restructure some salaries in FA. I dont expect them to make any draft day moves. I think the DT ,LB issue will be a top priority and then OL

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-to-see-16-players-enter-free-agency-in-2024

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
"Tweaks".

We may not be “so close” but tweaking things like having actual line backers at the position would absolutely make a difference. There’s a fine line between “so close” and “never gonna win anything”.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We may not be “so close” but tweaking things like having actual line backers at the position would absolutely make a difference. There’s a fine line between “so close” and “never gonna win anything”.
I think "having actual linebackers" might not be just a tweak. It's been more of a fatal flaw.

It's been a common theme, we can't stop the run and we can't run. If true, fixing that is more than mere "tweaks".

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not sure which guys youre talking about and I get that we joke about the we like our guys comments tha comes out of dallas but I would expect this tea, to look much different in 24. The core stars will be similar but of the cowboy FA I dont expect to see alot of them back. I do expect them to spend what money they can after they restructure some salaries in FA. I dont expect them to make any draft day moves. I think the DT ,LB issue will be a top priority and then OL

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-to-see-16-players-enter-free-agency-in-2024
Yep..it was a joke. I've used it like 3 times just this week. :)

And DT, LB and OL...doesn't seem "tweaking" to me. That is the heart, meat and potatoes of a team.