Video: FOX: Doug Gottlieb: Dak is not a top-10 QB, but Cowboys have no choice but to pay him like one

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is why Jerry should have signed him last year before Dak’s leverage increased.

It's also why Dak wasn't interested in signing last year. It takes two to tango.

RS12

Reaction score
The fact that there is a discussion about whether Dak is top 10 or not is more of a factor of generally mediocre QB play league wide IMO. The real question would be is Dak worth tying up a large percentage of the cap going forward. In my mind the answer is no. Jerry at 78 will ultimately cave and pay because the clock is ticking on Jerry's mortality. At 68 I don't think Jerry pays him. The fact that they haven't tripped all over themselves to pay him already speaks volumes.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The fact that there is a discussion about whether Dak is top 10 or not is more of a factor of generally mediocre QB play league wide IMO. The real question would be is Dak worth tying up a large percentage of the cap going forward. In my mind the answer is no. Jerry at 78 will ultimately cave and pay because the clock is ticking on Jerry's mortality. At 68 I don't think Jerry pays him. The fact that they haven't tripped all over themselves to pay him already speaks volumes.

LOL.

Blake

Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb is like the red headed step-child of sports media personalities.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fortunately for Dak we played Washington and the Giants 4 times or he wouldn’t have decent numbers to fall back on.

Why do so many people act like 2019 is Dak's only season? He's also not the only QB who fattens up on bad teams.

I get it - some aren't sold on him. I'm not entirely, but it seems disingenuous to focus on some parts of his career while ignoring others.

It's moot, anyway. The Cowboys are going to sign him. It's just a question of when, how much, and for how long.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb: Dak Prescott is not a top-10 QB, but the Cowboys have no choice but to pay him like one (VIDEO)

dak2.vresize.1200.630.high.57.jpg

The franchise tag deadline is next Monday an the Dallas Cowboys decision with Dak Prescott is looming. Hear why Doug Gottlieb thinks that Dak has the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place because he will get top-tier QB money despite not being one.

Read Full Story
They have a choice: assign the non-franchise tag, hope he signs elsewhere, recoup draft picks, and move on to rebuilding the team.

The formula has not worked so start over with the new coaching staff.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fear of being stuck with Cooper Rush or some other team's reject at QB seems like a reasonable fear.

Irrational fear that we have to sign our guy at all costs. Jerry and Co has had issues moving on from players for years. fall in love with their guy and pay him rather than paying less for similar talent so you can use those savings to retain or obtain more talent elsewhere.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irrational fear that we have to sign our guy at all costs. Jerry and Co has had issues moving on from players for years. fall in love with their guy and pay him rather than paying less for similar talent so you can use those savings to retain or obtain more talent elsewhere.
Then why didn't we sign Hitchens or Leary or DeMarco Murray after he led the NFL in rushing or Church or Carr or any number of players? And if it were "at all costs", why aren't Dak and Cooper already signed?

Clearly the team does not believe they have to sign their players at all costs.

What seems more realistic is that they identify players they think are important and do whatever they can to sign them, and that's really not just a Cowboy thing.

Proof

Reaction score
This is why Jerry should have signed him last year before Dak’s leverage increased.

this wound up being worst case scenario for them / us. I was fully supportive of letting him prove himself last year before signing him long term, especially with a lame duck head coach. Then he goes on to have his most statistically successful season, but worst performance team wise of his career. Giving his agent ammo for more money, and fans ammo to be skeptical. shame.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Dak has been put on a firm foundation for any QB and as much as I don’t like Garrett he ran the offense in a way that depended on talent to beat talent and Dak just wasn’t good enough to do much in that time.

Fortunately for Dak we played Washington and the Giants 4 times or he wouldn’t have decent numbers to fall back on.
Ok so I reiterate. Having one of the worst head coaches in football is not a optimal situation. This isn’t complicated

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok so I reiterate. Having one of the worst head coaches in football is not a optimal situation. This isn’t complicated

As much as coaching matters I think having an elite OL, RB, and a really good WR group is more important then the coaching..

Garrett didn’t coach in a way that hurt. He just coached in a way that didn’t help.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
As much as coaching matters I think having an elite OL, RB, and a really good WR group is more important then the coaching..

Garrett didn’t coach in a way that hurt. He just coached in a way that didn’t help.
Coaching is the most important aspect in football. NE is rarely the most talented and yet has 6 Super Bowls. Nick Foles has a ring because of great coaching. And while we’re talking about talent let’s do it. Dak has had a “really good wr group” for half of 2018 and all of 2019. All previous years his wr group was average at best. Dez was washed by time Dak took over. Next, OL ain’t elite and hasn’t been for a few years so let’s stop saying that because it’s ridiculous, this isn’t 2014 and 2016, it’s 2020. Lastly, I see how you didn’t mention defense, oh that’s right because he’s had pretty average to trash defenses for most of his career.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
with the right coaching last season the cowboys make the playoffs and could of gone on a run it didn't happen but dak is a good enough qb with the right players around him and good coaching to win a championship

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb: Dak Prescott is not a top-10 QB, but the Cowboys have no choice but to pay him like one (VIDEO)

dak2.vresize.1200.630.high.57.jpg

The franchise tag deadline is next Monday an the Dallas Cowboys decision with Dak Prescott is looming. Hear why Doug Gottlieb thinks that Dak has the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place because he will get top-tier QB money despite not being one.

Read Full Story

ummmmmm.....

ghst187

Reaction score
He's probably top 10, but definitely not top 5. Too bad he wants to be paid like a top 1 QB.

agree with this.
I don’t think there are ten QBs better than him right now and several of those that are, are nearly in the retirement home....Brady, Brees, Roth....all probably only have one season left at best.
He’s def not in the same level with Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes....obviously...but there’s a pretty big drop off after all those guys and Dak is probably at the top of that next list. That said, I’ve been a proponent of signing Dak but this wanting the huge contract like he’s a top 3 guy with a ring is really souring me. If we have to tag him I’d be all for drafting someone like Hurts.

PS., Doug Gottlieb is not a top 30 commentator....

DCowboyz

Reaction score
This guy is an idiot, top 5 is something but not having Dak in your top 10 last season is.. You don't watch football.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I've kinda thought the same thing.

They have Tyron Smith, Martin, Frederick, La'el Collins, Jaylon, D-law, Zeke, and possible soon to be Cooper all locked up to big money deals.

You at this point can't just restart the team, they already have too much invested (basically can't waste the remaining primes of your key guys just to take a gamble on some rookie QB who might eventually be better than Dak later down the road)

I'm sure Dak's agent knows this as well, Cowboys don't want to go 2 steps backwords

rags747

Reaction score
Before we go there, lets ignore total yards. Winston was 1st in total yards and just about no one has him as even a top 20 QB.

Dak was 10th in passer rating last year. People like Goff and Wentz were not in front of him. There are a few that are in front of him that can be debated, like Carr but Rodgers was behind Dak and so was Watson and Brady.

IMO, around 10th is a fair rating for Dak. I can understand arguing a few of the faces both in front and behind him but when trying to be objective, I think its a pretty reasonable place to put down a peg.

Personally, I think its better to tier people. I would say this:
Tier I: Mahomes, Brees, Rodgers, Jackson, Wilson
Tier II: Dak, Watson, Tannehill, Cousins, Stafford, Garropollo, Wentz, Brady
Tier III: Goff, Carr, Ryan, etc.
Jackson is not tier one.