Video: FOX: Doug Gottlieb: Dak is not a top-10 QB, but Cowboys have no choice but to pay him like one

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
WeNtZ aNd GoFf ArE sO mUcH BeTtEr
3s8dvn.gif
https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Doug Gottleib is a zero. A complete loser. He has as much insight into football as the typical drunk in a sports bar. Who cares what he thinks.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Before we go there, lets ignore total yards. Winston was 1st in total yards and just about no one has him as even a top 20 QB.

Dak was 10th in passer rating last year. People like Goff and Wentz were not in front of him. There are a few that are in front of him that can be debated, like Carr but Rodgers was behind Dak and so was Watson and Brady.

IMO, around 10th is a fair rating for Dak. I can understand arguing a few of the faces both in front and behind him but when trying to be objective, I think its a pretty reasonable place to put down a peg.

Personally, I think its better to tier people. I would say this:
Tier I: Mahomes, Brees, Rodgers, Jackson, Wilson
Tier II: Dak, Watson, Tannehill, Cousins, Stafford, Garropollo, Wentz, Brady
Tier III: Goff, Carr, Ryan, etc.
What about Josh Allen with the Bills. Not too shabby this past season.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Resign cooper tag Dak and see what happens in the draft and a possible phone call to Andrew luck

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Not getting that 7:02 back. Ever.

Same old same old. Just a different guy with a mic.

"You cannot win by paying Dak Prescott!."

Fine.

Now tell me a feasible way of replacing Prescott that Jerry Jones agrees with.

"Trade up for Tua!"

That takes finding a trade partner or partners and packaging picks. Give me realistic details.

"uh. Sign Brady!"

Again. Takes two to tango. Brady is an unrestricted free agent. He has the opportunity to go where he wants to go. What does Jerry Jones do that will guarantee Brady signs with Dallas?

"oh shoot. wait. YOU CANNOT WIN BY PAYING DAK PRESCOTT!"

Circular nonsense. :facepalm:

well, you’re kind of half right. But two wrongs don’t make a right; letting themselves get trapped in the situation of having to pay Dak is bad, but overpaying elite money for an average QB is also bad because you cannot win by paying Dak. People here are just pointing out the obvious about the situation. The nonsense resides in the Front Office.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, you’re kind of half right. But two wrongs don’t make a right; letting themselves get trapped in the situation of having to pay Dak is bad, but overpaying elite money for an average QB is also bad because you cannot win by paying Dak. People here are just pointing out the obvious about the situation. The nonsense resides in the Front Office.
Not sure how identifying talking heads' main talking points can be considered in any way incorrect. My post was only referring to sensationalism-lacking-depth Doug Gottlieb and his peers continually spout for their audiences. If it is a coincidence some people here make similar arguments as paid talking heads, while also omitting well-conceived resolutions that do or do not factor Prescott into the equation, so be it.

Or are you referring to ongoing contract negotiation between Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott only? If so, I apologize if my comments were taken in that context.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doug Gottleib is a zero. A complete loser. He has as much insight into football as the typical drunk in a sports bar. Who cares what he thinks.
Who cares? Fox Sports cares, for as long as he can keep hooking a measurable audience.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Gottlieb is right that Dak will end up making more money than he deserves compared to other tier 1 NFL QBs. However he's wrong about Dak not being a top 10 QB. Analytics and production prove him wrong after the 2019 season.

Who would I take over Dak today? Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, and Rodgers(If McCarthy wasn't here) are 4 pretty clear choices. Lamar perhaps after this past season, but not sold he'll be better long term. The rest? Brees is too old to take over a 26 year old. Matt Ryan? Then you have guys like Stafford, Wentz, Goff, Carr, Garoppolo. Dak probably falls somewhere between 7 to 10, but he'll be paid like a top 4 guy.

Creeper

Reaction score
Let's not confuse things. Is this list about 1 year, 2019? or the last 5 years? Careers? What are we talking about? If we are talking about 2019, then I think Dak has to be in the top 10. If we are talking careers then the debate changes a little, but its not fair to judge Dak against guys who have been playing for 10 years.

Dak is probably around 10 overall, I think. He's better than Goff, I am not convinced he is better than Wentz. I am not convinced he is worse either. But the question is, could Dak have taken the Eagles to the playoffs with the same players Wentz played with and won? Its a hypothetical but if Dak needs Cooper then the answer is no. So then doesn't that make Wentz a better QB than Dak? Then again, there is the system. Nick Foles won with the Eagles too. In fact he looked better than Wentz. So maybe the Eagles system is better than the Cowboys was the last few years. If that's the case we will know in 2020.
But what does it matter? NFL contracts are not based on who is the best. If that were the case Demarcus Lawrence would have gotten $16 million a year instead of $21.5.

starfan1

Reaction score
imagine that another quality Dak thread. I bet if we keep at it we can surpass the whole Quincy vs hutch era of threads

blindzebra

Reaction score
So we care what a hack basketball analyst says about football? He is awful at his specialty so he must be an expert on QBs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas will pay him and win nothing unless the CBA saves the day.

A slightly above average QB that is in a optimal situation and has no playoff success is about to get paid elite QB money lol.. Ignore all the trends Cowboys because you will have fans that applaud this.
I thought you always blamed garrett for our lack of success? what changed?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought you always blamed garrett for our lack of success? what changed?

I blamed Garrett for his predictable coaching that relied on our guys to be better then their guys..

He coached a 50/50 brand of football.. I think for a bad team that is a good thing but when you’re a good team and the other team knows your every move before you do it then it’s a problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I blamed Garrett for his predictable coaching that relied on our guys to be better then their guys..

He coached a 50/50 brand of football.. I think for a bad team that is a good thing but when you’re a good team and the other team knows your every move before you do it then it’s a problem.
so garrett is bad because he coached a slightly above average QB to a .500 record and prior to that to three winning seasons and two play off appearances?

so garrett must have been good to have done that with a slightly above average QB....not many coaches can claim that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
There is always a choice. But this organization is being run by fear and anxiety.
It's weird.

Our team is being run by a 70+ yr old man who by his own self-admiration he is running out of time..

and his son who will run screaming down the hall at The Star if his father really passes before another SB.

Not being cynical..just factual.

Both of them have spent the last 10 years trying to use Garrett to stop time and Return to The Future.

In the meantime, younger more aggressive franchises have urinated on us.

Finally McCarthy arrives and we all want immediate change.

Not very easy to do for McCarthy without even more changes that is needed.

Such as actually having a GM and not a GM/owner.

Having a GM/owner is a conflict scenario for our team.

We all know it.

Jerrah says he talks to himself about Dez in the shower.

He also talks to the GM in the shower. And the owner gets to speak when he dries his hair.

Nobody talks together in Jerrah's World. It's all done by memo to his self.

Yikes.

So when we.talk about Fear and it's son Anxiety..

they rarely speak to each other.

There in lies our problem.