Twitter: Fox targeting Witten for TNF analyst

foofighters

Reaction score
The league needs a rule against this. The networks covering the NFL should not be allowed to approach players who are under contract and offer them jobs. They should be included in the tampering rule although I have no idea what kind of penalty the league could impose. There can be serious negative consequences to a team when a player retires early or unexpectedly. The NFL simply needs to tell the networks to restrict their sights to players who have announced they plan to retire.
Why? The last thing I want to see is the NFL having any more power over the players. Yes, I am looking at Roger and how he handled Zeke.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let’s get rid of Witten and Dez that’s sure to improve our offense next season. We can go with Gathers who hasn’t caught a regular season pass and move Twill to the #1 receiver spot and let Butler and Noah Brown battle it out for the #2 receiver. If it was up to some of the board GMs here that’s exactly how it would go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do both.
And the Sunday game suffers because they can't do the same amount of prep/interviews/watch practices that is part of the analysts job. Aikman would only get Fr/Sat to work with the teams and that is not enough time and not enough is going on those two days.

Aikman is too much of a self professed perfectionist to halfway do the Game of the Week and Buck is pretty dependent on Aikman's prep work.

If I were Witten, the fact that it's the TNF game would concern me a bit as that could go away and then he'd have to rely on replacing one of the others, if he'd done a good enough job. I'd wait for a more secure spot like Moose got.

The other part of this is why does Fox think Witten is going to be a lure to bring fans in to watch what was a declining ratings venture for CBS? If they want to use a personality, why not Manning? Enough like him that he might be a pull. I wouldn't watch TNF regardless of who they put in that booth so to me, it's not important but a lot of posters want Witten gone.

Some want Dez gone, some want Witten gone and some want both gone and we do not have the replacement for either on the team, let alone both.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Great player. Smart. Would make a good analyst. Tony works for the competition though. Totally happy if Witt takes the opportunity and goes out in style

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The league needs a rule against this. The networks covering the NFL should not be allowed to approach players who are under contract and offer them jobs. They should be included in the tampering rule although I have no idea what kind of penalty the league could impose. There can be serious negative consequences to a team when a player retires early or unexpectedly. The NFL simply needs to tell the networks to restrict their sights to players who have announced they plan to retire.
The NFL could care less who the Nets tap to work the booth and Witten is hardly a marquis player, except for Dallas.

The question that I have is was Fox urged to make this move. Does Booger realize it's time for Witten to retire but doesn't know how to go about approaching that? I do think he's his favorite player of all time and has really been the only constant since he's been there and that MotY award was special to the team.

Do you think, just spit balling here, that they've got their eyes on the next TE and want to bring him in but want to safeguard Witten's feelings and save some cap at the same time? We know how Booger loves him some players and Witten tops that list. Plus, is it not a feather in his cap to have 4 ex players of his in prominent roles on the two major TV nets carrying games?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Sunday game suffers because they can't do the same amount of prep/interviews/watch practices that is part of the analysts job. Aikman would only get Fr/Sat to work with the teams and that is not enough time and not enough is going on those two days.

Aikman is too much of a self professed perfectionist to halfway do the Game of the Week and Buck is pretty dependent on Aikman's prep work.

If I were Witten, the fact that it's the TNF game would concern me a bit as that could go away and then he'd have to rely on replacing one of the others, if he'd done a good enough job. I'd wait for a more secure spot like Moose got.

The other part of this is why does Fox think Witten is going to be a lure to bring fans in to watch what was a declining ratings venture for CBS? If they want to use a personality, why not Manning? Enough like him that he might be a pull. I wouldn't watch TNF regardless of who they put in that booth so to me, it's not important but a lot of posters want Witten gone.

Some want Dez gone, some want Witten gone and some want both gone and we do not have the replacement for either on the team, let alone both.

Based on his delivery in interviews, Witten doesn't seem like a good choice for game analyst. Maybe if he is talking Xs and Os it would be different but he uses a minimum number of words in interviews.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
In what world is it a crime to change professions? Any person has that option and so should a football player. it is not another NFL team tampering with him, c'mon man.

He has every right to change professions if that is what he chooses. I just make the simple point that since the NFL and the networks covering it are partners with a contract, the networks should restrain from trying to hire players until they publically express they are thinking about retirement. That's all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on his delivery in interviews, Witten doesn't seem like a good choice for game analyst. Maybe if he is talking Xs and Os it would be different but he uses a minimum number of words in interviews.
Remember when Aikman did that? Biggest shock I got was that he really had a personality when I watched his debut in Europe.

I think he would be fine as I saw an interview with him about his foundation and domestic abuse and he was pretty effusive.

The smart ones learn early on to not feed the animals that are the DFW media. And Witten saw first hand just how they can milk an honest remark like Romo made about losing a game into a major story and how Aikman came to his rescue when he said he didn't care about what other people thought of him. That's one of the reasons Garrett is so boring, he's not giving them anything.

Just look at how polarizing Dez is because he does speak his mind.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when Aikman did that? Biggest shock I got was that he really had a personality when I watched his debut in Europe.

I think he would be fine as I saw an interview with him about his foundation and domestic abuse and he was pretty effusive.

The smart ones learn early on to not feed the animals that are the DFW media. And Witten saw first hand just how they can milk an honest remark like Romo made about losing a game into a major story and how Aikman came to his rescue when he said he didn't care about what other people thought of him. That's one of the reasons Garrett is so boring, he's not giving them anything.

Just look at how polarizing Dez is because he does speak his mind.

Yes, I thought about that. Aikman seemed like a dunce in commercials and in interviews.

I thought Moose would be much better as an analyst than Aikman but that didn't happen.

Big_D

Reaction score
Maybe getting rid of Dez and Witten will expedite Garrett's departure?!! We could only hope!!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
What picks does Fox own in the upcoming draft and could we get a 1st for him?