Twitter: Fox targeting Witten for TNF analyst

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Where is the evidence of that? Fox knows JWit is near the end and they know how well spoken and popular he is. This is nothing but a smart strategy on their part to let them know how they feel about him.
Where is the evidence? Is this a medical journal? or a message board?

I don't know, how about the idea that CBS offered Romo a contract last year before he was released and retired, and now Fox is allegedly recruiting Jason Witten while he is still under contract to play football? Is that enough evidence? Judges?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The league needs a rule against this. The networks covering the NFL should not be allowed to approach players who are under contract and offer them jobs. They should be included in the tampering rule although I have no idea what kind of penalty the league could impose. There can be serious negative consequences to a team when a player retires early or unexpectedly. The NFL simply needs to tell the networks to restrict their sights to players who have announced they plan to retire.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The league needs a rule against this. The networks covering the NFL should not be allowed to approach players who are under contract and offer them jobs. They should be included in the tampering rule although I have no idea what kind of penalty the league could impose. There can be serious negative consequences to a team when a player retires early or unexpectedly. The NFL simply needs to tell the networks to restrict their sights to players who have announced they plan to retire.

This is capitalism. If a player wants to make money doing something else, he shouldn’t be restricted. Even Greg Olsen was a commentator last year during his teams bye week!

Now the cap hit perhaps should be changed if a player is leaving to help the NFL as a whole but unlikely to happen.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This is capitalism. If a player wants to make money doing something else, he shouldn’t be restricted. Even Greg Olsen was a commentator last year during his teams bye week!

Now the cap hit perhaps should be changed if a player is leaving to help the NFL as a whole but unlikely to happen.

Olsen didn’t retire leaving his team with a hole at his position and dead cap space. There was no impact to the team for that. The league and the networks are partners with a contract. The networks should not be contacting players and offering them jobs unless the player has expressed the possibility of retirement so that his team can begin preparing for his absence. It goes both ways for me. I don’t think teams should go after players working for the networks unless they have an out clause in their contract and have expressed an interest in returning to the field.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Meh. If he wants a shot calling games, he'll end up with one from somebody. He's healthy and can still play and not the type of guy to quit early for a shot at the booth. He'll play until he can't or can't commit to the work, and then decide what to do after his career is completely over.

This is such a neatly bunked post. It’d be a shame if someone DE-bunked it.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Hope they offer him a trillion dollars a year with incentives and private jet.

LittleD

Reaction score
Do It Witten. Don't wait or delay, do it now Witten. Help the team and leave quickly and quietly.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Witten taking the TNF gig doesn't mean he will retire from the Cowboys. He can do both, even when Dallas is playing the TNF game, because he is good like that--slow like a fox.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I wish they would go after Aaron Rodgers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have assumed he would move into coaching with the Cowboys and stay with the organization but don't know about the money Fox might be offering. I think Witten would be good at it as long as he doesn't Moose it up and talk too much.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
If Witten did take the job, there'd be almost as many ex-Cowboys as analysts as there are in the HOF. Now didn't that thought just ruin your day.. lol

erod

Reaction score
It's going to reach a point that a prerequisite for being a color analyst for an NFL team is that you had to be a life-long Dallas Cowboy.

Jason Witten may be working in the broadcast booth for Thursday games for Fox this fall, according to a certain newspaper that I don't think we're allowed to post links to.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
It's going to reach a point that a prerequisite for being a color analyst for an NFL team is that you had to be a life-long Dallas Cowboy.

Jason Witten may be working in the broadcast booth for Thursday games for Fox this fall, according to a certain newspaper that I don't think we're allowed to post links to.
Didn't Greg Olsen from Carolina do that last year?

canters

Reaction score
Latest is only if Peyton fails to sign on.....so if Peyton signs, Witten is not needed.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if witten is hanging around for another year in dallas hoping for a superbowl run he might as well get his broadcast career started right now

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

In what world is it a crime to change professions? Any person has that option and so should a football player. it is not another NFL team tampering with him, c'mon man.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't Greg Olsen from Carolina do that last year?
One game and the team protested as they would be playing CAR and they refused to do the customary interviews the week prior to the game.

It is highly unusual to have a current player do any analyst work and it did not go well with Olsen.