FoxSports Whitlock: 10 worst NFL coaches... Wade #5

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10. Sean Payton -- Saints

People complain there's not enough praise in my NFL Truths column. So to fix that, I'm naming the 10 best and 10 worst NFL coaches of the 2008 season so far. Someone has to take the blame for New Orleans' 4-5 record. I don't have a real problem with Payton. It's impossible to win in the Big Easy. There are just too many distractions in N.O. to build a successful football franchise.

9. Marvin Lewis -- Bengals

The Bengals avoided 0-16 by beating the Jaguars, although 1-15 is a real possibility. Lewis created the Chad Johnson situation. Lewis didn't learn from the Denny Green mess and allowed Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh to take over the Bengals the way Randy Moss and Cris Carter once did the Vikings. Let that be a lesson to any future NFL coach. Don't let your wide receivers determine the personality of your football team. It cost Denny Green his job in Minny and it's likely to cost Marvin in Cincy.

8. Mike Shanahan -- Broncos

Would someone please talk John Elway out of retirement so he can save Shanahan's reputation? I consider Shanahan one of the game's great coaches. It's getting harder and harder to make a pro-Shanahan argument.

7. Mike Singletary -- 49ers

The end of the "Monday Night Football" contest against the Cardinals is all the evidence you need to understand why I wanted Singletary to pass on the San Francisco job. Singletary has a chance to be a great NFL coach. Unfortunately, he took a head coaching job before he was ready. Singletary can't manage the clock. All the whining about the refs spotting the ball wrong or too quickly just points to Singletary's inexperience and the folly of having Mike Martz as an unsupervised offensive coordinator.

6. Mike McCarthy -- Packers

With Brett Favre at the helm, the Packers were one play from the Super Bowl. With Favre run off to New York, the Packers are 4-5 and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs. You have to blame McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson for Favre's absence. Aaron Rodgers has been pretty damn good. He's not the problem. Apparently he's not the answer either. McCarthy wanted to be the big hero for letting Favre go. Well, now McCarthy and Thompson look like fools.

5. Wade Phillips -- Cowboys
If the Cowboys don't rally and make the playoffs, Phillips will likely be the scapegoat and fired. He deserves it, even though Jerry Jones is the main reason the Cowboys underachieve. Jones hired Phillips to oversee the bunch of talented bad boys Jones showered with enough money to make the players uncooperative. Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Terrell Owens and Jessica Simpson are just a handful of high-profile idiots Phillips is expected to handle. Phillips is blowing it. But it's a job that was too much for Bill Parcells, too.

4. Jack Del Rio -- Jaguars

He's the captain of the most undisciplined ship in the NFL. Thank God Jacksonville is off-Broadway. No one pays attention to the multiple arrests and countless off-the-field problems Del Rio's players encounter. The Jags are as bad as the Bengals. Somehow Del Rio has avoided being as big a laughingstock as Marvin Lewis. Jacksonville lost to Cincy. Enough said.

3. Norv Turner -- Chargers

Philip Rivers is allegedly having the best season of any quarterback in the league. LaDainian Tomlinson, for my money, is still the best running back in the league. OK, the Chargers lost Shawne Merriman to a knee injury. That doesn't excuse San Diego's 4-5 record in a division that includes the Chiefs and the Raiders. Norv is a very mediocre head coach.

2. Romeo Crennel -- Browns

The new Art Shell is leading the league's most disappointing team. Crennel can't tame Kellen Winslow's mouth or bad attitude. Crennel can't get Braylon Edwards to hold onto the football. The 3-6 Browns quit against the Broncos. Crennel played a role in the Browns giving Derek Anderson a new contract. Yeah, Romeo is making Charlie Weis seem like a Notre Dame success story.

1. Andy Reid -- Eagles

Twice this season Reid has taken the game out of the hands of Donovan McNabb and tried to win at crunch time with his running game. Here's a coach who loves to throw on damn near every down except when the game is on the line. I also blame Reid for the Eagles failing to trade a second-round draft pick for Tony Gonzalez. Other than the one season with Terrell Owens, McNabb has made a living throwing the ball to the James Thrashes of the world. It's ridiculous. I'm convinced the Eagles don't want to win it all.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8789802#sport=NFL&photo=8789818

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2419025 said:
5. Wade Phillips -- Cowboys
If the Cowboys don't rally and make the playoffs, Phillips will likely be the scapegoat and fired. He deserves it, even though Jerry Jones is the main reason the Cowboys underachieve. Jones hired Phillips to oversee the bunch of talented bad boys Jones showered with enough money to make the players uncooperative. Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Terrell Owens and Jessica Simpson are just a handful of high-profile idiots Phillips is expected to handle. Phillips is blowing it. But it's a job that was too much for Bill Parcells, too.

Just what have Tank, Jessica, and TO done this year to be called idiots? Especially Jessica, ***...why in the world is Phillips supposed to handle her?

I can agree about Pacman but damn..

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Ok? 31% of current coaches are the worst coaches.

Marvin Lewis hasn't had a winning season in I don't know how long and hes still better than Wade or Andy Ried?

Stupid list

JJB500

Reaction score
So LT is still the best back in the league?:eek: Singletary has coached all of 2 games, stupid list......

ethiostar

Reaction score
ajk23az;2419042 said:
Just what have Tank, Jessica, and TO done this year to be called idiots? Especially Jessica, ***...why in the world is Phillips supposed to handle her?

I can agree about Pacman but damn..

I don't think he was being serious about that one, but i could be wrong.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2419080 said:
Even forgetting Wade... Shanahan, Del Rio, and Reid are on this list?

The only one that really makes any sense on that list is M. Lewis. I'm actually surprised he has lasted that long. For a DC who was credited for the Ravens stingy defense a few years back, he has had one of the worst defense in the league, not to mention the kind of legal troubles players have had under his watch.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Whitlock just might be the biggest POS in sports journalism today. Absolute garbage....everything he does.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm not a big Wade fan, but this is the dumbest list ever. Not because these may or may not be the worst head coaches, but because his reasoning is moronic.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Makes a good point about McFlabb throwing to a bunch of second rate receivers throughout his career.

Why did the Iggles not ever supply him with a decent #1? (With the exception of TO) Stupid Iggles!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I'd take about eight of those coaches over a lot of other coaches. That list is more like coaches (good or bad) of teams that have underachieved this season for various reasons.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly that is a bad list. It's not hard to pick out some HC's who should be on that list in place of some who don't belong.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2419171 said:
I'd take about eight of those coaches over a lot of other coaches. That list is more like coaches (good or bad) of teams that have underachieved this season for various reasons.

I'd agree with that assessment. NFL teams are tough to coach and there's a lot of talent on that list, along with success in other years. I don't take this list seriously at all.

pancakeman

Reaction score
tomson75;2419094 said:
Whitlock just might be the biggest POS in sports journalism today. Absolute garbage....everything he does.

I'd believe it after reading this. Does he get paid for this stuff?

Temo

Reaction score
People, please read: I'm naming the 10 best and 10 worst NFL coaches of the 2008 season so far

2008 season ONLY. Also, read where he has has Turner 3rd but says he's a "Mediocre" coach. He's not ranking them based on how good they are, just how well they've lead their respective teams this season.

I actually don't have a problem with anyone on that list, though the ordering is somewhat suspect.

Also, I don't know if Tom Cable qualifies, but if interim coaches do qualify, then I'd have to take out Singletary and put in Cable.

Temo

Reaction score
Here's my list:

10. Rod Marinelli
9. Mike Holmgren
8. Mike Shanahan
7. Wade Phillips
6. Herm Edwards
5. Marv Lewis
4. Tom Cable
3. Norv Turner
2. Andy Reid